Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

I loved Trainspotting. Before Trainspotting, my thoughts on Britain were formed by movies like Mary Poppins, or war movies with Jack Hawkins. Stiff upper lip, nannies in the park, happy poor people smiling and eating their chutney, or chips or whatever it is.

But with Trainspotting I thought -whoa, it's way different there. It's like a normal place - or at least, Scotland is. :)

Before, if you were laughing at a British movie, it was because Terry Thomas had a gap in his teeth, or some weird Carry On guy with funny nostrils was trying to feel up the boobs of a nurse. Or Benny Hill was trying to feel someone up.

Now, we were laughing because someone shit the bed, or passed out in a horrific toilet, or... that baby thing. You know.

It had a much more comfortable and normal feel to it.

Before, if you were laughing at a British movie, it was because Terry Thomas had a gap in his teeth, or some weird Carry On guy with funny nostrils was trying to feel up the boobs of a nurse. Or Benny Hill was trying to feel someone up.

Now, we were laughing because someone shit the bed, or passed out in a horrific toilet, or... that baby thing. You know.

:D

i did a quick google and here are ones that i appreciate that are mentioned

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Dr No (bond)

Dracula (hammer)

apparently this fight scene was improvised!

Walkabout

The Long Good Friday (i'm only including this as part of it was filmed in my house... i think peterkro might know more... i may be misremebering)

2001: A Space Odyssey (shot in britain)

holy grail
A Clockwork Orange

The Ladykillers

The Wicker Man

Brazil

Lawrence of Arabia

Withnail & i

Kind Hearts and Coronets

A Matter of Life and Death

Shout for 'It happened here' an olden day film about if the nazis had invaded britain. Dunno about best ever but it was good.

Back
Top Bottom