Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best affordable laptops for music production - and minimum spec required

editor

hiraethified
I'm looking to start recording/creating music at home and I think it's time to retire my trusty but creaky Thinkpad, which dates back to Windows 8 and can't run Windows 11.

I don't want to spend a fortune - maybe £600 tops and ideally I'd like to hear from people with experience of music production on their laptops.

I'm going to be running ProSonus Studio One software and they have their minimum specs as:

• Windows 10 (64-bit only)
  • Intel® Core™ i3/AMD A10 processor or better
  • Minimum 4 GB RAM / Recommended 8 GB or more
  • Internet connection (needed for installation, activation, and Cloud, Shop, and Exchange integration)
  • Monitor with 1366 x768 resolution (high-dpi monitor recommended)
  • Multi-touch enabled monitor is required for touch operation
  • Content storage:
    • 32.6 GB free hard-drive space (Studio One Professional)
    • 10.4 GB free hard-drive space (Studio One Artist)
    • 2.5 GB free hard-drive space (Studio One Prime)

And yes I know Apple are a good choice but I really can't be arsed to learn a new OS on top of a new DAW and have to buy duplicate software, so please don't bother going on abiut MacBooks.

Thanks.

You want to be going for the best processor and RAM you can afford basically. Especially if you’re going to be using plugins.
I don't think my demands are going to be too stressful - I'm just looking to record instruments and add some voice/overdubs etc but it's been so long since I've bought a Windows laptop I've no idea what's good anymore.

Do they come with a decent soundcard built in or should I budget for that?

I don't think my demands are going to be too stressful - I'm just looking to record instruments and add some voice/overdubs etc but it's been so long since I've bought a Windows laptop I've no idea what's good anymore.

You'll need an external soundcard with a dedicated ASIO driver.

Yeah as he says ^ about the sound card. Focusrite are quite good. You pay more if you want more inputs.

That mixer thingy you bought probably works as a USB audio interface. In which case you won't need to cough up for a soundcard.

For audio interfaces also have a look at the Behringer Uphoria series. They're really very good for the money. Nice built quality. Behringer used to have a dodgey rep for quality but that was years ago.

Oh sorry, just seen above. Forgot you had that. That's your interface sorted.

Are you using real instruments, e.g. electronic drum kit, bass, what ever else or are you needing to use big sample libraries?

If the latter, max out the ram and storage space. Though you could store your samples on an external usb hD.

Big sample libraries use a lot of ram and storage.
Realtime fx, especially fancy reverbs or synths demand more processing power.

You can work around the latter to a degree by using larger block size / buffers in the Asio settings for interface control panel. Some DAWs can control the audio interface settings but i'm not sure about ProSonus, so make sure the settings match.

The lower the buffer size, the less latency for real time recording but the harder the processor works.
Higher buffers, when you're getting clicks and pops but you'll start noticing a delay when recording. Is fine for mixing after you've got everything tracked though, so can be a work around if you haven't got the fastest machine.

Are you using real instruments, e.g. electronic drum kit, bass, what ever else or are you needing to use big sample libraries?

If the latter, max out the ram and storage space. Though you could store your samples on an external usb hD.

Big sample libraries use a lot of ram and storage.
Realtime fx, especially fancy reverbs or synths demand more processing power.

You can work around the latter to a degree by using larger block size / buffers in the Asio settings for interface control panel. Some DAWs can control the audio interface settings but i'm not sure about ProSonus, so make sure the settings match.

The lower the buffer size, the less latency for real time recording but the harder the processor works.
Higher buffers, when you're getting clicks and pops but you'll start noticing a delay when recording. Is fine for mixing after you've got everything tracked though, so can be a work around if you haven't got the fastest machine.
I'm using an electronic kit with its own controller (I only need a basic stereo out into the mixer for the whole kit) so there's need for sample libraries. I'm really looking at basic stuff with overdubs.

Basically the mixer is doing any heavy lifting with the PC just acting as a recorder, do I have that right? If so it’s more storage and RAM that’s needed rather than processing power.

I'm using an electronic kit with its own controller (I only need a basic stereo out into the mixer for the whole kit) so there's need for sample libraries. I'm really looking at basic stuff with overdubs.

Mega-fast processors probably not necessary then. Controlling virtual instruments via midi is where you get issues with latency, and running lots of plugins is where you get the risk of crashing a slower machine.

I used to live with a music producer guy. The computer he used was very good but the fans on it were so loud you couldn't record anything through a mic that didn't have fan noise in the background :facepalm:

Simple workflow is the path to creativity IMO. It's why I want to get away from computers altogether and get a simple recorder that can do basic multitracking.

And obviously ditch bullgard or whatever AV shit they bundle with a new machine. You can exclude your recording directory from Windows Defender scans too.

Mega-fast processors probably not necessary then. Controlling virtual instruments via midi is where you get issues with latency, and running lots of plugins is where you get the risk of crashing a slower machine.

I used to live with a music producer guy. The computer he used was very good but the fans on it were so loud you couldn't record anything through a mic that didn't have fan noise in the background :facepalm:

Simple workflow is the path to creativity IMO. It's why I want to get away from computers altogether and get a simple recorder that can do basic multitracking.

Can't remember the model, there's probably a few but there's a Tascam mixer that sounds just the thing. Records on to SD card, but you can use it as an interface to a PC too. Or the Zoom stuff.

And obviously ditch bullgard or whatever AV shit they bundle with a new machine. You can exclude your recording directory from Windows Defender scans too.

Yeah, the one reason why folk choose Macs is that it won’t suddenly introduce an unsolicited process during a live take. You need to tinker in the settings a bit with Windows.

The thing I really like about the new mixer I've got is that it also has a simple, built-in SD card recording facility. Great for capturing jams without the faff of hooking up a laptop. or it can output each channel to a separate channel on the PC software visa USB. Or both!

Can't remember the model, there's probably a few but there's a Tascam mixer that sounds just the thing. Records on to SD card, but you can use it as an interface to a PC too. Or the Zoom stuff.

Had a little Tascam recorder ages ago, great bit of kit. Really nice built-in mics. My ex nicked it on her way out, but I will get a new one some day. They've been making the exact same model for about ten years which is always a good sign IMO.

Back
Top Bottom