Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Benefits when contract ends because of ill health

quimcunx

imprimeo, lamino, distribuo
So you are a student on a full time college course and you also work part time at a supermarket and get a little universal credit on top of that including some HB.
You've been signed off work with depression for a while and your employers are going through their sickness policy procedures. What happens with your benefits if your contract is terminated because of ill health?

So you are a student on a full time college course and you also work part time at a supermarket and get a little universal credit on top of that including some HB.
You've been signed off work with depression for a while and your employers are going through their sickness policy procedures. What happens with your benefits if your contract is terminated because of ill health?
Not an expert but it would be treated as finishing not due to them (not like being fired for theft, for example). I think they would be expected to previously apply for ESA, not JSA. So as they're on UC already that would probably translate to informing them of a change of circumstances so logically I would expect their uC to increase. HB should be unaffected.

I reiterate I am not an expert.

I would say this might actually be one of the cases where Universal Credit works, because you notify them you have stopped a job due to ill health and your income has changed. If your ability to work is affected by your health tell them this too.

However I am not sure what happens because you say you are a student. The above is how universal credit should theoretically work more seamlessly than JSA, I don't know about Universal Credit and studying.

They should contact their union or if not a member look on the acas website. They should also look at the employer's sickness absence policy. what they're looking for is whether the employer has followed their established procedures.

He needs to log in to see the sickness policy. And failed when we tried the other day. Tbf they seem to be doing it right. Also he wants to leave and concentrate on his study. He thinks UC will be fine if he does but I'm not so confident. Also dealing with benefits could be more stressful for us both than dealing with employers.

They should contact their union or if not a member look on the acas website. They should also look at the employer's sickness absence policy. what they're looking for is whether the employer has followed their established procedures.

I think perhaps OP is more interested in what, if any, being dismissed from work would have on benefits.

With regards to the OP, under usual circumstances I’d just tell a porky and say I was on a zero hours contract/got made redundant. The job centre won’t check up.

I think perhaps OP is more interested in what, if any, being dismissed from work would have on benefits.

With regards to the OP, under usual circumstances I’d just tell a porky and say I was on a zero hours contract/got made redundant. The job centre won’t check up.
I know what the op says. But if I was in the position of the person in question I'd want to know that the correct procedures had been followed, even if I was happy to go. And we haven't been told they'd be happy to be terminated

Think it probably depends where u are - In Stoke don't think they ever checked but in London - 3 years ago admittedly - they phoned my ex employer in front of me to check id been on zero hours.
Of course the pandemic will have effected all this......

Think it probably depends where u are - In Stoke don't think they ever checked but in London - 3 years ago admittedly - they phoned my ex employer in front of me to check id been on zero hours.
Of course the pandemic will have effected all this......

Bloody hell, jobsworths!

Back
Top Bottom