Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beckham or Paul Scholes, who is most admirable?

David Beckham or Paul Scholes, who do you admire the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leftistangel

On the surface its obviously Scholes. The standard response is his retirement from football for the second time was undeservedly overlooked ahead of the more glitzy, superficial Beckham, who as a player he was a bit like Kevin Keegan, in that he wasn't the most naturally gifted player but made the absolute most of what he had.

Scholes could and should have made a lot more of the greater natural gifts he possessed, but unfortunately he chose to play it safe devoting himself to the "best league in the world" and numerous group games in the terminally tedious champions league.

I've got a bit of a grudge against Paul Scholes to be honest because he retired from England so ridiculously early. I just can't forgive that i'm afraid. The fact he was such a good player makes it even worse. Anyway he's already retired from football once and then returned and is retiring again. Unlike with England where he retired once & never deigned to play for his country for the remaining 9 years of his career. Scholes chose not to test himself on the biggest stages at the world cup and European championships in at least 4 tournaments he could have played in. He stayed well and truly in his comfort zone unlike Beckham who tested himself & improved as a result.

Beckham or Scholes? Beckham every time for me. Beckham only played in the Premier League where as Beckham challenged himself by going abroad while still making himself available for his country. As for his fame and image thats of no interest to me.

Scholes could and should have made a lot more of the greater natural gifts he possessed, but unfortunately he chose to play it safe devoting himself to the "best league in the world" and numerous group games in the terminally tedious champions league.

Pfft. Scholes didn't choose. The manager chose. He retired.

He could have left Manchester United and played abroad.

Call me old school, but it's nice to see one-club players still around.
Plus Scholes got to play his preferred position. Beckham was shunted out to the right as he was very much the fourth choice in that United midfield.

Scholes got played out of position so we could accommodate the egos of Gerrard and Lampard in the same team for yonks. Worked out so well.

No wonder he retired tbh.

Scholes got played out of position so we could accommodate the egos of Gerrard and Lampard in the same team for yonks. Worked out so well.

No wonder he retired tbh.

I was talking about United but good point about England's "Golden Era" :D

The appeal of Scholes eclipses football. He should be the template/idol for any man IMO. Including the hair.

He always seemde to appear in a number of "the best player you've played against/with" answers, including Zidane IIRC.

I can't believe he's being criticised for not moving clubs. That's one of the great things about him. Loyalty, commitment, quality - what else do you need in a footballer?

Scholes all the way btw.

On the surface its obviously Scholes. The standard response is his retirement from football for the second time was undeservedly overlooked ahead of the more glitzy, superficial Beckham
Scholes announced his retirement before Beckham, so there was plenty of time to look at him then, but he very famously didn't want people to. I haven't seen the footage but apparently when Ferguson namechecked him in his OT speech Scholes looked very embarrassed and tried to hide behind his teammates.

I don't think he's being overlooked, and I don't think you could blame Beckham if he was.

It's Michael Owen I fell sorry for... ;)

Scholes was obviously a great player, but it irritates me that people view his shit tackling as an amusing foible.

He had ample opportunity to improve it and never did, instead continuing to be borderline dangerous in his defensive play, and gifting free kicks.

Minor point perhaps, but it grinds my gears :D

Beckham is some what underrated, his crossing and set pieces were exceptional. Some casuals claim he was the best in the world for a period of time which is laughable.

Scholes is some what overrated with fans claiming he was better than Scholes and Gerrard. He never received any major individual honours and the timing of his tackles were often pretty late.

I rate Giggs over Beckham (on the playing front, what a cunt of a bloke he turned out to be) and Keane over Scholes (also a cunt of a bloke but not to Giggs level!)

If I had to pick one I would go for Beckham due to the lack of great wingers compared to central midfielders, but as who was the better player I'll give it to Scholes but not my a wide margin.

Back
Top Bottom