• Matt Baker

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Olympics Schmolympics

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only saw the tale end of the article, so don't really know how offensive it was - but I did catch Jackson's/Johnson's contributions - so maybe some folk are abit more educated on the topic now.
Yes. They gave good replies, Johnson in particular, who nailed it. So yes, it's good that they could speak on it. I don't object to the subject being brought up, but the way the bbc approached it was disappointing, imo - disappointing in that it lacked the intelligence of Johnson's rebuttal.

what happened tonight?
Stupid feature on black people and sprinting. Followed by John Inverdale being an arse and Michael Johnson and Colin Jackson demolishing the whole thrust of the feature and making Inverdale look like a stupid arse.

A suggestion that the descendants of slaves have been subject to the rigours of 'natural' selection, which is why they keep winning sprint races. 'Survival of the fittest' applied in a totally unscientific way.

award goes to Colin Jackson for his Usain Bolt commentary "the big man, the big man" does it for me.
He also gets an Alan Partridgish high five from Inverdale for that.

Inverdale explained why Colin Jackson is not a commentator: when he got excited he shouted "Here comes Whatshisname".

I'm afraid I voted for Inverdale. Logs off.

A suggestion that the descendants of slaves have been subject to the rigours of 'natural' selection, which is why they keep winning sprint races. 'Survival of the fittest' applied in a totally unscientific way.

No that old chestnut. If it had any validity they wouldn't be Jamaican.

Stupid feature on black people and sprinting. Followed by John Inverdale being an arse and Michael Johnson and Colin Jackson demolishing the whole thrust of the feature and making Inverdale look like a stupid arse.

ugh. sounds entirely unnecessary, apart from anything else.

The worst commentator of the lot is that guy in the boxing! The way he goes on all the time about the women boxers beimng given the chance to fight in the same ring as their heroes ie Ali, is embarrasing, I think he really believes taht the Olympic ring is the same one today as it was back then and that it gets put up for every Olymoics.

Claire Balding has been a revelation and I thought she was good before!
The amount of research that she must have done and the ability to call up facts without hesitation.
Well done and A.A.Gill is dick!

Cav was a surprise and really pretty chilled-out.
I enjoyed him.

Claire Balding has been a revelation and I thought she was good before!
The amount of research that she must have done and the ability to call up facts without hesitation.
Well done and A.A.Gill is dick!

Cav was a surprise and really pretty chilled-out.
I enjoyed him.
Yardie I share your surprise, I was thinking only yesterday that I must be suffering from some sort of Olympic fatigue as I am starting to find Claire Balding strangely attractive!lol

The worst commentator of the lot is that guy in the boxing! The way he goes on all the time about the women boxers beimng given the chance to fight in the same ring as their heroes ie Ali, is embarrasing, I think he really believes taht the Olympic ring is the same one today as it was back then and that it gets put up for every Olymoics.
You're kidding right?

No one is that stupid to believe it's the actual ring, he means the platform of boxing in an Olympic ring.

You're kidding right?

No one is that stupid to believe it's the actual ring, he means the platform of boxing in an Olympic ring.

have you listened to him? he is very thick, referred to the chinese fighter yesterday by the wrong name despite his co commentator 's efforts to point it out to him.

If he said things like "the same stage" to describe the Olympic boxing ring thats finbe, but he doesnt, he says things like "the very same Olympic ring" which just sounds stupid.

Cavendish himself said he knows nothing about track sprinting when he floundered live on tv when Pendleton and varnish were disqualified and he couldn't say why. It was left to the other dude to sort it out.

No, he said why quite clearly, he was just being hurried by the shit presenter and so deferred to the track medalist next to him.

He wasn't being hurried. He was on there as an expert pundit and couldn't answer the first basic question about the rules lobbed at him - can't blame the presenter for moving it on quicksmart. You could see Jake Humphrey trying to avoid asking him any technical questions subsequently, throwing him the psychological/mentality stuff instead.

I vote for Denise, I could look at and listen to her alllllllllllllllllll day long.

Yeah Denise all the way.

Ms Idaho keeps talking about Michael Johnson. "He's very dignified", "He has a very nice voice", "He is very alpha male"... yeah, yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

:D

They're all a vast improvement on Jana Novotna, Cathy Freeman et al.. not sure they've been helped by the production.

There was a race where they showed a film of a GB athlete before cutting back to the stadium and the commentator saying 'You've just missed..'. Yes, because the beeb chose to show a pointless film. But for all the criticism, the audience includes people who never, ever apparently have watched any sports event ever.

Balding, Thorpe, Foster, Moorhouse, Johnson, Amaechi, McEnroe, Woodhall, Lewis, Boardman (when the pictures have allowed him).. so many have been so on top of what they're doing and able to explain. Been a delight.

Ms Idaho keeps talking about Michael Johnson. "He's very dignified", "He has a very nice voice", "He is very alpha male"... yeah, yeah, yeah... :rolleyes:

I've kind of had enough of Johnson now.. he should show true greatness by at some point saying 'I dunno' or 'I don't care'.

He was constantly being hurried along, not allowed to finish his points or explanations.

I don't think I'm paraphrasing too much:

'So, Mark for the viewers at home, what actually happened there? What did Team GB do wrong?'

'Nervous laugh... I don't know.. nervous laugh. I've never done this event.. er.. nervous laugh'

'Right..' *guy next to him intervenes to explain about the transition rules*

Not really his fault. Clearly the clueless casting director saw 'cycling' 'champion' and 'sprint' on his CV and thought he had the perfect guy to commentate on track cycling.

Reminiscent of this:

Well you missed out the bit where cav explained exactly what had gone wrong with the transition but not as fast as the muppet presenter wanted him to. So no, not a faithful or fair paraphrase.

Back
Top Bottom