Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"BBC has moved beyond bias, into pure propaganda"

The BBC trust is appointed by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport; very clearly that process is going to favour people who reflect the view of the establishment. The current vice-chairman is the chairman of BAE ffs. The chairman of fucking BAE, no chance of bias there then. If you're going to have a petition, have a petition to review the system of trustee appointments. Although it would have to be a pretty major change to overcome the assumption that people who should be responsible for running something like the BBC trust should come from a very specific set of careers.

Still damasio by the sounds of it. And still getting levels of explanation muddled up, imo.

Got any sources of how we can turn off the cognitive miser yet?

Or want to explain why you brought up electrons when talking about decision making?

Last edited:
I really don't know. It seems to me that as long as i've been aware people have been pointing this out, workmates, family, non 'politicos'. I thnk lots of people treat it the same way they treat the papers, just background noise.

IMO people are aware of media outlets being full of crap stories, but less aware that the crap those outlets spout pretty much sets the boundaries of the narrative discourse of those stories.

38degrees have taken the petition down - citing sexist abuse on twitter i.e not the actual petition - as the reason. Here the guardian link the abuse to Jeremy Corbyn and a general left-culture.

“Of course, not all Corbyn supporters are sexist, far from it, but there is a core of hard-left misogyny that comes out against women when Corbyn is under pressure – such as the abuse against Stella Creasy and Jess Phillips. Jeremy Corbyn said back in September he wanted a ‘kinder politics’ so he should condemn these vile attacks against a respected and experienced journalist.”

Last edited:
38degrees have taken the petition down - citing sexist abuse on twitter i.e not the actual petition - as the reason. Here the guardian link the abuse to Jeremy Corbyn and a general left-culture.

Does the media ever trawl Guido or Breitbart, etc to see what the right wing crazies are posting, I suspect not.

Six o'clock news today R4 - Cameron's notsoclever public spout at Buckingham HQ about the fantastically corrupt countries of Afghanistan and Nigeria. The BBC rules this out as nothing but a 'truthful gaff' .. Got a be another Beeb cover up to yet another one of Daves bombastic blunders.

Six o'clock news today R4 - Cameron's notsoclever public spout at Buckingham HQ about the fantastically corrupt countries of Afghanistan and Nigeria. The BBC rules this out as nothing but a 'truthful gaff' .. Got a be another Beeb cover up to yet another one of Daves bombastic blunders.

I don't think that many Afghans or Nigerians, particularly the new anti-corruption Nigerian -President would disagree with him.

Queenie, of course, is above corruption as we are quitevhappy to keep her in the style that her robber predecesors made customary. Anyway were would the City of London and our tax havens be without thieving foreign potentates

Couldn't agree more, although it does seem to be rather a very jolly summary coming from the beeb on a remark that coming from any other political party would be interpreted and manipulated as offensive.

Couldn't agree more, although it does seem to be rather a very jolly summary coming from the beeb on a remark that coming from any other political party would be interpreted and manipulated as offensive.
Tbh you don't have to manipulate it for it to be offensive. Who made Afghanistan into what it is today?

Reactions: tim
Principally the Americans and er British since Oct 2001

That's only the most recent act of the drama.TheAmericans have been fucking up Afghanistan since the 1980's and the Britain and Russia since the era of the Great Game in the early ninetenth century

We have a beautiful game on our hands, if we have the means and inclination to play it properly.
William MacNaghten, discussing the British invasion of Afghanistan, 1838

In Kabul in 2001 I was sent with a unit to meet with an Afghan government minister. We had to explain that we weren’t Russian, we were British. As soon as we did he rounded on us and shouted: British? You burned down the covered market! My first thought was s***, what have the Paras done now? I apologised and we got on with the meeting. Back at base I asked who had burned down the market. Blank faces all round, until someone at the back said he thought we had burned down the covered market. In 1842.

The above from: The Road to Kabul | Online Exhibitions | National Army Museum, London

I see the news today features the tory plans to scrap the BBC trust, replace it with some other board, and have Ofcon be its external regulator.

Purely for the purposes of disseminating Andrew Alexander's deleted blog post further, before it disappears into the ether, I've c&p'd it. Damning stuff.

Resignation! Making the news on the Daily Politics
Thursday 07 January 2016, 15:17

Andrew Alexander is an output editor for the Daily and Sunday Politics series

Wednesday is always an important day for the Daily Politics because we carry Prime Minister’s Questions live, which brings with it our biggest audience of the week and, we hope, a decent story.

As I arrived at Millbank at 7am it was clear that Jeremy Corbyn’s cabinet reshuffle, which had ended before 1am, was going to dominate at Westminster.

When the programme editor phoned in we agreed that in addition to covering other major stories, including the junior doctors’ strike, fallout from the reshuffle was likely to continue throughout the morning and this was a story where we could make an impact.

When the producers arrived at 8am they began putting out texts and calls to Labour MPs we thought were likely to react strongly to the sacking of several shadow ministers for “disloyalty”.

Just before 9am we learned from Laura Kuenssberg, who comes on the programme every Wednesday ahead of PMQs, that she was speaking to one junior shadow minister who was considering resigning. I wonder, mused our presenter Andrew Neil, if they would consider doing it live on the show?

The question was put to Laura, who thought it was a great idea. Considering it a long shot we carried on the usual work of building the show, and continued speaking to Labour MPs who were confirming reports of a string of shadow ministers considering their positions.

Within the hour we heard that Laura had sealed the deal: the shadow foreign minister Stephen Doughty would resign live in the studio.

Although he himself would probably acknowledge he isn’t a household name, we knew his resignation just before PMQs would be a dramatic moment with big political impact. We took the presenters aside to brief them on the interview while our colleagues on the news desk arranged for a camera crew to film him and Laura arriving in the studio for the TV news packages.

There’s always a bit of nervous energy in the studio and the gallery just before we go on air at 11.30am, but I’d say it was a notch higher than usual this week. By this point we weren’t worried about someone else getting the story as we had Stephen Doughty safely in our green room. Our only fear was that he might pull his punches when the moment came.

When it did, with about five minutes to go before PMQs, he was precise, measured and quietly devastating – telling Andrew that “I’ve just written to Jeremy Corbyn to resign from the front bench” and accusing Mr Corbyn’s team of “unpleasant operations” and telling “lies”.

As Andrew Neil handed from the studio to the Commons chamber we took a moment to watch the story ripple out across news outlets and social media. Within minutes we heard David Cameron refer to the resignation during his exchanges with Jeremy Corbyn.

During our regular debrief after coming off air at 1pm we agreed our job is always most enjoyable when a big story is breaking – but even more so when it’s breaking on the programme.

it's not going to disappear into the ether, it was pored over and discussed extensively (here and in elsewhere) in January when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom