Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barry Cryer - RIP

if a bit shameless with the name-dropping :)
I suppose if those people are your life and world though, surrounded constantly by 'names', then that's kind of inevitable.

I liked this line from his family, in the Guardian today:

"Baz was, firstly, a loving husband to Terry for nearly 60 years and a gentle father to Tony, David, Jack, Bob."

That's the mark of a man, that is. A gentle father. How lovely.

RIP to a comedy legend.

I'm pretty sure I saw him in the comedy tent at Glastonbury one time. A brilliant but poignant show if I remember. A comedy great, with a million stories to tell, but clearly reflecting back on his life. He sang various songs as well, one of which was called "I want to be unplugged', which was a play on unplugged musical performances and also ending up on a life support machine. One of those shows where you feel like you're watching a true comedy great, reflecting on a long career from towards its end.

I suppose if those people are your life and world though, surrounded constantly by 'names', then that's kind of inevitable.

I think it was also, in his case, that he often genuinely believed the people whose names he was dropping were true geniuses and he was 'just' their backroom joke-writing hack. He was always humble about his incredible list of collaborations.

Back
Top Bottom