Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Banter between tracks on records.

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
This thread can be for the stuff that’s said in the smooth bits between tracks. Before or after songs.

Case one: At the end of the Beatles’ rooftop concert rendition of One After 909, John Lennon sings a jokey line of Danny Boy. He makes up some of the lyric, as is his wont, and I’d always heard it as “Oh Danny Boy, the Ulster men are calling”. This is the sort of piss-takey thing he might say. (See also his nonsense poetry, In His Own Write, and so on).

However, Disney+ captions on the Peter Jackson documentary has it as “Oh Danny Boy, the old Savannah calling”. This is equally likely, as a surreal bit of larking around.

Which do you think it is, or do you hear something different?

And once we’ve cleared that up, what other banter between tracks do you want to take into consideration on this thread?

Can't be the only one thinking of the Pixies.

"...girls and fucked them at school... all I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players... there were rumours"
"So I applied, basically..."
"He was gone the next day"
"...and went out for the team"
"It's like, he was gone, they were like it was like, so hush hush, they were so quiet about it. And then the next thing you know..."

Last edited:
The conversation at the beginning of The Mercy Seat on Tender Prey is baffling. Nick Cave says something about “… death row, of which I am almost wholly innocent . . not afraid to die” in response to an uninterpretable question.

"...girls and fucked them at school... all
I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players... there were rumours"
"So I applied, basically..."
"He was gone the next day"
"...and went out for the team"
"It's like, he was gone, they were like it was like, so hush hush, they were so quiet about it. And then the next thing you know..."
I saw them do Surfer Rosa live and they did the bits between songs too. :cool:

Captain Beefheart:

"Now we won't have to worry about Rockette Morton with any of those girls..."

"Rockette Morton takes off again into the wind!"

"What do you run on, Rockette Morton?"

("say beans")

"I run on beans!"

"I run on laser beans!"

Oh My Golly! was the first to come to mind for me :D

You fucking die, I said. To her
I said, You fucking die! To her
Huh? What?
No, no. I was talking to Kim
I said, You fuckin' die
No, I, I we were just goofin' around
No, no. It didn't have anything to do with anything
She said, don't tou- anybody touches my stuff
And I said, you fuckin' die, like that
I was finishing her part for her
You know what I mean?

Last night I was out somewhere where the music was obviously just being played off someone's spotify account and then an ad came on, and I managed to listen to the whole thing convinced it was one of those between-song skits and there'd be a punchline if I listened long enough.

Yeah, I've always assumed that's Steve Albini he's explaining himself to and wondered what he said to Black Francis.
Premusably it went something like:

"Fuck you!"
'What did you just say to me?'
'I said fuck you, to her.'

The spoken word bits in post rock deserve a mention. For GYBE, it’s their whole shtick, but sudden oddities like the “oppositionalism” proponent in Our Last Hope Lost Hope’s Sweethearts Revisited are more fun.

At you saying my discussing a record released in 1970 makes me more out of touch than were I to discuss a genre also first recorded in the 70s?

For the record I state here that I also own many hip hop records and indeed listen to contemporary hip hop genres.
Not at all. Was just pointing out that’s it’s rife in hip hop. They call them skits

Hip Hop skits are usually terrible. They're basically unwelcome 'funnies' which aren't even funny and they get really tedious when trying to listen to an album which contains otherwise decent tracks, but you have to manually skip through the 'comedy'
And even if they're good, there's a bit of a replayability issue, you can listen to a good song 10 or 50 times and it'll still sound as good as the first time but it's extremely rare to find a skit that you're going to want to hear more than once.
Was there not a historical/technical explanation for why hip-hop had so many skits, like the ascendancy of hip-hop came at the same time as the big shift from vinyl to CDs so there was a feeling that people should get the most of the expanded format length, even if it meant padding albums out with dull skits? That and the whole secret track thing.

Hip Hop skits are usually terrible. They're basically unwelcome 'funnies' which aren't even funny and they get really tedious when trying to listen to an album which contains otherwise decent tracks, but you have to manually skip through the 'comedy'
I will make an exception for the anti-player one on snoops ' games to be sold not to be told'. His first for no limits records, trivia fans

The spoken word bits in post rock deserve a mention. For GYBE, it’s their whole shtick, but sudden oddities like the “oppositionalism” proponent in Our Last Hope Lost Hope’s Sweethearts Revisited are more fun.

You maybe saw it too, but I was mildly intrigued to find out last year that this is the woman who delivers the rambling "you have it in your secret windows" sermon in Godspeed You! Black Emperor's 'Chart #3':

lC4RcER.png

I will make an exception for the anti-player one on snoops ' games to be sold not to be told'. His first for no limits records, trivia fans
I quite like the Mobb Deep ones, but then they're less trying to be funny and more just Prodigy mumbling to himself about how hard he is.

Back
Top Bottom