Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands with a big reputation that are (musically) shite

Wilf

Slouching towards Billingham
Right, I don't mean bands that fall short in terms of musicianship, don't have complex song structures etc. Lots of genres are pretty basic but very effective, punk for example. Ditto the blues, lots of nuance in the delivery and lyrics, but a very basic chord pattern. This thread is also not about 'famous bands I just don't like'. I'm after groups/artists where the actual product is way behind their relevance/importance. Being of that age, I should really like the New York Dolls - 'important' in terms of the transition to punk, challenging gender stereotypes and all that. But in reality I struggle to listen to a full song, even their most famous. For example:

As always, things are subjective, but I doubt many people would think 'gee, that's fantastic' if they didn't know the band's wider significance etc. Suppose that's what I'm after: are there bands/artists who, if you just heard their music, you'd think 'hmm, that's boring/a bit rubbish'?

Right, I don't mean bands that fall short in terms of musicianship, don't have complex song structures etc. Lots of genres are pretty basic but very effective, punk for example. Ditto the blues, lots of nuance in the delivery and lyrics, but a very basic chord pattern. This thread is also not about 'famous bands I just don't like'. I'm after groups/artists where the actual product is way behind their relevance/importance. Being of that age, I should really like the New York Dolls - 'important' in terms of the transition to punk, challenging gender stereotypes and all that. But in reality I struggle to listen to a full song, even their most famous. For example:

As always, things are subjective, but I doubt many people would think 'gee, that's fantastic' if they didn't know the band's wider significance etc. Suppose that's what I'm after: are there bands/artists who, if you just heard their music, you'd think 'hmm, that's boring/a bit rubbish'?

I think Jet Boy is their most famous

Oasis. I never got them. And contrasted with what they followed in the Manchester music scene they didn’t really bring anything new to the table imo. But they could fill stadiums where some of their predecessors couldn’t. The mind boggles.
Yeah, they don't do that well on the blind taste test as well. I don't actually dislike them musically, but a lot of the stuff is fairly bland, without the hype that came with them. It's that thing when you've heard there's this exciting new band with Beatles-esque song writing and when you hear them the first time... hmmm. As a kid I had the same reaction to hearing the Sex Pistols the first time, just sounded like generic rock music. Whereas a lot of other punk bands, who were doing 3 chord songs with fast downstrokes, actually sounded fresh and new.

Yeah, they don't do that well on the blind taste test as well. I don't actually dislike them musically, but a lot of the stuff is fairly bland, without the hype that came with them. It's that thing when you've heard there's this exciting new band with Beatles-esque song writing and when you hear them the first time... hmmm. As a kid I had the same reaction to hearing the Sex Pistols the first time, just sounded like generic rock music. Whereas a lot of other punk bands, who were doing 3 chord songs with fast downstrokes, actually sounded fresh and new.
I don’t get The Beatles’ connection at all. Beyond Liam liking them and banging on about it.

Is Elvis the sort of thing you're after? I'd put his stuff behind Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard in terms of quality, but he wipes the floor with pretty much anyone in music history in terms of commercial success.

I think the closest they’ve been to The Beatles was Noel doing vocals on Let Forever Be which was by the Chemical Brothers rather than Oasis. It had hints of Tomorrow Never Knows.

Wasn't that because they (CB's) used the actual drum loop from Tomorrow Never Knows as the main beat sample in that track? Haven't heard it in ages but I seem to recall that.

I think the closest they’ve been to The Beatles was Noel doing vocals on Let Forever Be which was by the Chemical Brothers rather than Oasis. It had hints of Tomorrow Never Knows.

Ooh will have to search this. Tomorrow never knows is a classic track.

hints of - I think the track is ok but don’t come back saying nothing like! 😂

Nah I heard it, get what you mean - but it's the more the beat of the track. I was expecting more Noel Gallagher sounding like Lennon. Even though I knew that was impossible.

Decent enough track.

Nah I heard it, get what you mean - but it's the more the beat of the track. I was expecting more Noel Gallagher sounding like Lennon. Even though I knew that was impossible.

Decent enough track.
Yeah the rhythm line. I can’t pick an actual Oasis track that sounds anything like The Beatles though.

There are certain bands like The Doors where they were so overrated that they became underrated. I think it would be better if they were seen as an obscure band doing something curious with an strange singer and some nice little touches musically rather than this sort of iconic counter culture thing to be instantly knocked off its pedestal.

I think the issue is that certain acts generally get overlooked while other (arguably) inferior ones get all the attention. But that doesn't mean that the acts that get the attention are bad or somehow undeserving. I don't like trend setters, the music press. Are you getting sold short on the New York Dolls? You shouldn't be paying attention to the salesmen in the first place. Regard everything as niche and that way you don't need to worry about reputation.

There are certain bands like The Doors where they were so overrated that they became underrated. I think it would be better if they were seen as an obscure band doing something curious with an strange singer and some nice little touches musically rather than this sort of iconic counter culture thing to be instantly knocked off its pedestal.

I think the issue is that certain acts generally get overlooked while other (arguably) inferior ones get all the attention. But that doesn't mean that the acts that get the attention are bad or somehow undeserving. I don't like trend setters, the music press. Are you getting sold short on the New York Dolls? You shouldn't be paying attention to the salesmen in the first place. Regard everything as niche and that way you don't need to worry about reputation.
The Doors are a good example of a band that would probably fail or at least only get an average pass on the blind taste test. I do think The End is an immense track and Break on Through a decent song (if itself overrated), though after that you'd be struggling to get a really strong Best Of album together. Beyond those few good songs you really get to thinking is that it?

In terms of the New York Dolls, my motivation for the thread was nothing too high minded, just finding them on various playlists I've listened to on Spotify - and noticing that I've removed them over the last few months, a visceral reaction. Spotify/the music industry's use of genres is highly conservative and certainly leads to musicians who fit the template being promoted (Adorno, 'pre digested' culture iirc). We listen to music for all kinds of reasons, particularly the emotions evoked, but sometimes I just get an emperor's new clothes moment... 'hang on, this is shit!

Back
Top Bottom