Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Audi 2L TFSI engines oil usage issues..

weltweit

Radio says some Audi cars are experiencing significant oil usage, usually out of warranty.

Models affected A5, A4, Q5. A particular engine (2L TFSI) shared among those models.

Discussion over whether Audi UK meets the bills or not.

Loads on 'tinternet about this. Audi reckon up to 1litre/1000km(600miles)is ok. I would have thought if you have a car 60oddk miles & drinking oil then you could go the not fit for purpose/trading standards route. I guess for Audi to play ball car would need fsh from Audi garage.

I would have thought if you have a car 60oddk miles & drinking oil then you could go the not fit for purpose/trading standards route.

Tried that with Land Rover, 23k on the clock and the engine exploded, full LR service history etc. They laughed at me. Trading Standards didn't want to know, car manufacturers seem to scare TS as they have too much muscle.

I guess for Audi to play ball car would need fsh from Audi garage.

One recent-ish thing, you can't be discriminated against for a non-Audi garage service history any more.

Loads on 'tinternet about this. Audi reckon up to 1litre/1000km(600miles)is ok. .............
That is pretty much putting a litre of oil in every fuel fill up, which I think is unacceptable.

On the program they gave an example of a man who bought an A5 for £18k then had this oil issue on which the Audi dealer said it would cost £4k for an engine rebuild including new rings. (I assume they would also hone the barrels). In his case the dealer did say they would cover some of the cost themselves which was something.

I posted the OP in some glee that all is not ideal in the house of Audi owners but this does sound quite shit.

We have an A6, never put oil in it, I guess that happens at the service though? Once a year max.

We have an A6, never put oil in it, I guess that happens at the service though? Once a year max.
Possibly there is a fault with the rings or barrels on that model engine, I have heard of similar before though I forget which manufacturer it was, was it nikosil plated liners? I don't recall exactly. But I would have thought that engine might also be on VW and SEAT models also, haven't heard of any issues though.

This is a consequence of VAG simultaneously chasing power, fuel economy and emissions. They run really high intake vacuum to get power and less ring/cylinder inteference to reduce friction losses and increase economy. You could have an engine that didn't use a drop of oil for 50,000km but it would have 50% less power and use 50% more fuel and nobody would buy the car in which it was installed.

This is a consequence of VAG simultaneously chasing power, fuel economy and emissions. They run really high intake vacuum to get power and less ring/cylinder inteference to reduce friction losses and increase economy. You could have an engine that didn't use a drop of oil for 50,000km but it would have 50% less power and use 50% more fuel and nobody would buy the car in which it was installed.
If they have lower ring cylinder interference wouldn't their engines smoke?

This is the turbo petrol engine. Most Audis in UK will be diesel so probably does not affect that many owners. The 2litre TFSI has very high power output & I guess UK buyers will be more interested in speed than economy or they would have bought the diesel. If you thrash an engine it will tend to use more oil but I suppose it would be hard to thrash this & still keep your licence. I wonder what this is like in the rest of the world because I would think the majority of Audis sold in the US for example would be petrol?

Last time I had a high oil consumption engine was a 750 motorbike.
I honed the barrels and fitted new rings and the problem was solved.

Where does the oil go then? Into the air or onto the road and washed off into the drains?

This is the turbo petrol engine. Most Audis in UK will be diesel so probably does not affect that many owners. The 2litre TFSI has very high power output & I guess UK buyers will be more interested in speed than economy or they would have bought the diesel. If you thrash an engine it will tend to use more oil but I suppose it would be hard to thrash this & still keep your licence. I wonder what this is like in the rest of the world because I would think the majority of Audis sold in the US for example would be petrol?

Ah, ours is a 3ltr TDI, so I can butt right out of this thread :)

Where does the oil go then? Into the air or onto the road and washed off into the drains?
If it goes past the rings on the suck stroke it gets squeezed in the combustion chamber, burned with the fuel and exits on the blow stroke, if it gets past the rings on the bang stroke (less likely) it also goes into the turbo/exhaust on the blow stroke.

Last edited:
It's worse than that - for environmental reasons, much of the oil vapour goes back into the intake, via the crankcase breather system. Then, because the engine is direct injection, there's no fuel to wash the deposits off the intake and so it clogs up with carbon.

Not a VW engine, but almost all direct injection engines do this, unless the manufacturer came up with a complicated workaround:

3.jpg

4.jpg

That was mine before the head was rebuilt.

Incidentally mine uses 1l oil per 1000 miles or so, but did so from the start. It's quite rare these days - most don't burn any. Some of these Audis are apparently burning 5l in that distance now which is obviously wrong.

Last edited:
Those are pretty coked up valves mauvais. :)

The inlet tract is probably the same affecting top flow rates.
Yep, pretty dirty, but the same thing happens on VW Group TFSI, Mitsubishi GDI, Mini, BMW and who knows what else.

The inlet manifold was OK. Overall power wasn't massively down, but must surely have dropped off a bit.

Back
Top Bottom