Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Athletics - Running and Jumping and Throwing and stuff!

1500m was quite dull, gutted for the Eithopian girl who went from second to fifth in the last 20 m.

Have to feel for Denise Lewis as well, not only has she had to attempt to compete against Johnson and Jackson in the pundit stakes, the BBC now have Dame Holmes in to make her seem even more inane.

Was Dai Green affected by the Cuban pulling up in front of him?

edit: also lol @ that French pole-vaulter

I can't remember what my point was wrt that.

But I think it might've involved Dolph Lundgren and Rocky Whatever.

A Rocky 4 ref? :hmm:

The actual point is that they were, on average over 100m including baton handovers, only 0.57 secs slower than Bolt :cool:

I'm not entirely certain that he was talking about twitch muscles but Jackson did say that 80% of white Europeans did have that gene.
Didn't see it myself, but what folks on here reported he said was that 80% of European competitors, at an elite level, had that gene as well.

Quite obviously, that's a bit of a different matter.

Actually it's a good thing in some ways, because it means the idea is about a particular gene, originating with a particular people, but which is now shared by people of different ethnicities. It makes it about a genetic heritage, rather than 'black people' or 'white people'.

I understand the disquiet about it. And I didn't see more than the first 5 minutes of the piece myself so I don't know how crassly it was presented - although it sounds pretty shoddy tbh. But I also think that the idea shouldn't be off-limits.

Surely we can't pretend that genetics plays no part in sporting potential? It clearly does. Children inherit characteristics from their ancestral line, we know this. Which bits and how much of them are inherited varies, seemingly by lottery. But if the piece had been about how 90% of champion long-jumpers could trace their line back to the Shetlands, I think the discussion on here would have been very different.

To restate: given the history, I understand the disquiet. But I also think there's a danger of something legitimate being written off purely because it bears painful echos of past atrocities.

I also appreciate the potential danger of the subject, given how it could be continued and cherry-picked results could then be abused to serve a racist agenda. But making the line of enquiry taboo itself is not the answer IMO.

I make no comment on the science in the piece itself. It may well be utter tosh, I don't know.

I keep getting silly crushes on athletes. Like, one a day. Laura Trott, Jade Jones yesterday, and Tirunesh Dibaba for the second time this Olympics. She's properly beautiful. I was really sad she had no kick in that 5,000 final.

I keep getting silly crushes on athletes. Like, one a day. Laura Trott, Jade Jones yesterday, and Tirunesh Dibaba for the second time this Olympics. She's properly beautiful. I was really sad she had no kick in that 5,000 final.
She's 15 you fucking perv!!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom