Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

At fault 3rd party not paying courtesy car costs...

Wolveryeti

Detty Pig
Had a call out of the blue from Enterprise Car Hire setting out the 3rd party & their insurance were refusing to pay the costs of the courtesy car I had allocated when my car was being repaired.

Looked at the small print for the hire agreement and it says I am 'ultimately liable' if they cannot recover costs for the hire car. It is not a small sum (£2750 for 11 days).

The person from Enterprise asked me all sorts of personal financial questions like whether I could afford to pay £560 to rent a car for the period covered, whether I had a credit card and whether I would be happy to provide bank statements. Stuff I felt was irrelevant because I thought I was covered by my insurance. But they said they didn't as routine try and recover money from the insured - just third parties.

Doing a bit of research, this is apparently down to a legal defence of 'impecuniousness' when doing credit hire, which is what I now believe my courtesy car to have been.

Has anyone been in this situation and should I share my financial details? My instinct is to not share - think it would just embolden Enterprise to go after me for the money in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom