Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Astonishing swimming relay

Temperature makes a difference in rowing, hot water means faster iirc. Swimming pool temperature is probably regulated up the kazzoo.

It's deeper than usual so less current (or whatever it's called) reflecting from the bottom of the pool. Greater space between the outside lanes and the edge of the pool so there's less reflected waves from there. Channels cut into the side of the pool to soak up waves. The lane markers are designed to deflect waves downwards rather than sideways.

Basically every single thing has been done to minimise resistance for the swimmers and therefore maximise speeds

Yes that's right with reference to mimimum resistance* the and also i reckon the extra spare lanes on either side of the pool and the depth of the pool disperse (or clears) waves, which cuts down on resistance. It's one of the major factors on why there's been a lot of world records have been smashed in most the swimming events so far.

That mens 4x100m Freestyle relay was the best swim relay i've watched and i'm still stunned at Jason Lacek's final leg time of 46.06 seconds after he clawed back an almost 1 second gap on the French Swimmer - Alain Bernard and caught him in the last 40m of the race.

*I'm sure the number of World ,Olympic and National records in the Beijing 08 Swimming is more that what was achieved in Athens 04. Especially since Athens was an outdoor pool & it was mainly hot.

Back
Top Bottom