Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Astonishing swimming relay

Matt S

I'm amazed that no-one seems to have posted yet about the mens 100 metres freestyle relay....absolutely amazing. Britain came last, and yet posted a time that would have won the gold medal in 2004! Phelps looked like losing his eight-medal bid, and yet the last American swimmer SMASHED the individual world record to overhaul the best French swimmer. The American team as a whole destroyed the world record by four seconds - a world record set by their 'B' team just the day before.

Wow.

Matt

P.S. Poor Jason Lezak, who swam 46.06, won't have a world record, because only the first leg of relays count for individual records. Harsh. He beat his individual personal best by over a second!

Too busy drooling over the GB girls gold and bronze :D

Didn't see the race or replay but on 5live this morning they were saying that Phellps owes a big TY to the fella on the anchor leg!

Too busy drooling over the GB girls gold and bronze :D

Didn't see the race or replay but on 5live this morning they were saying that Phellps owes a big TY to the fella on the anchor leg!
Too right he does - they won it from the French team by just 0.08 of a second!

I've seen it, but In the end, it all seems a bit "meh" due to the number of records being beaten and how "easy" that seems to be right now... one thing are fast heats/finals, other is a final where five teams beat the previous world record. Kind of defeats the thrill of seeing a WR being beaten, IMO.

The pool was designed to be fast and Im glad :)

I love the fact swimming has more record breaking than say, track and field.
It gives the feeling of progress!

I've seen it, but In the end, it all seems a bit "meh" due to the number of records being beaten and how "easy" that seems to be right now...
I reckon it must have something to do with these super-slick body suits they're wearing now.

Either that or the drugs! :hmm:

I reckon it must have something to do with these super-slick body suits they're wearing now.

Either that or the drugs! :hmm:

Body suits, scientific training procedures and a fast pool do that. Even a couple of hours ago, Phelps beaten another Olympic record... after spending three pools just controlling.
I see records as something that athletes strive and suffer to achieve, this looks too much like my Olympic videogaming sessions :p

It was absolutely breathtaking! well done to the USA, an amazing swim and to snatch it at the last split second too.. a stylish win

was well exciting - although part of me doesn't want phelps to get 8, i sort of want him to be a heroic failure, with only 7 gold medals:D

I saw it live and was well impressed. :cool: I have never really bothered watching the swimming before but for this Olympics I have been quite keen on it.

Caught it on the highlights, what a race! Apparently the GB team would have come 2nd in Athens of they'd swum the same time they did today :eek:

Awesome last leg for the US :cool:

I'm amazed that no-one seems to have posted yet about the mens 100 metres freestyle relay....absolutely amazing. Britain came last, and yet posted a time that would have won the gold medal in 2004! Phelps looked like losing his eight-medal bid, and yet the last American swimmer SMASHED the individual world record to overhaul the best French swimmer. The American team as a whole destroyed the world record by four seconds - a world record set by their 'B' team just the day before.

Wow.

Matt

P.S. Poor Jason Lezak, who swam 46.06, won't have a world record, because only the first leg of relays count for individual records. Harsh. He beat his individual personal best by over a second!

Awaits drug scandel.

some of them could be on drugs but the main reason for so many records falling has been posted.

As an earlier poster posted, those speedo suits are meant to be something else. I think they're quite a new development - any info, anyone?

Just watched it on iPlayer, amazing race. Can't understand why the commentators were saying that the USA won it on Phelps' leg, he was nowhere!

How do you design a pool to be fast?

It's deeper than usual so less current (or whatever it's called) reflecting from the bottom of the pool. Greater space between the outside lanes and the edge of the pool so there's less reflected waves from there. Channels cut into the side of the pool to soak up waves. The lane markers are designed to deflect waves downwards rather than sideways.

Basically every single thing has been done to minimise resistance for the swimmers and therefore maximise speeds

It's deeper than usual so less current (or whatever it's called) reflecting from the bottom of the pool. Greater space between the outside lanes and the edge of the pool so there's less reflected waves from there. Channels cut into the side of the pool to soak up waves. The lane markers are designed to deflect waves downwards rather than sideways.

Basically every single thing has been done to minimise resistance for the swimmers and therefore maximise speeds

Yeah, all of that. Mind, when I was swimming there were always pools where the water felt faster. Seemed related to its temperature - colder pools always seemed faster - but I wonder if people have even been looking at the chemical makeup of the water.

In any case, it was a pretty fucking amazing swim. Forty-seven seconds. Jesus, that's fast. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom