Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Asking for a testimonial as part of interview process

magneze

🎧
Is this normal now (or legal, for that matter) to have a prospective employer ask for a positive testimonial as part of the interview process?

This is coming from a recruitment consultant so naturally I'm somewhat skeptical immediately. They want it sent to them rather than the employer, so it's not a reference.

I'm a freelancer myself, When I've applied for contracts both directly or via agencies they have sometimes asked to see a copy of my company accounts to prove I'm on the level or proof that I'm insured.
If you're applying for a permanent job via an agency I don't see why they would need anything other than references and increasingly companies are not asking for those anyway.
Mostly previous employers restrict themselves to "we confirm the person in question worked for us from date x to date y"
What do we mean by a testimonial anyway? a letter praising you as an all up honest dude?

I'm a freelancer myself, When I've applied for contracts both directly or via agencies they have sometimes asked to see a copy of my company accounts to prove I'm on the level or proof that I'm insured.
If you're applying for a permanent job via an agency I don't see why they would need anything other than references and increasingly companies are not asking for those anyway.
Mostly previous employers restrict themselves to "we confirm the person in question worked for us from date x to date y"
What do we mean by a testimonial anyway? a letter praising you as an all up honest dude?
I think so. The recruiter is claiming that the company is asking everyone for this which seems ... odd.

Last edited:
Normally references come after an interview and indicate that the employer is seriously considering you for the role.

I have references / testimonials on my LinkedIn so I would probably just refer the agency to them.

In a recent job process I was asked for references and phone numbers and the employer phoned and had conversations with my referees about me. Seemed to go ok because I got the job.

I've worked at the same company for 20 years. So dumb question.
What the hell is a testimonial and how is it different to a reference?

If the role is important to you, then arrange a testimonial.

Just pick someone you worked with who will have a good opinion of you and ask them for one.

Back
Top Bottom