Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

asbestos in shed?

wayward bob

i ate all your bees
our shed is one-half standard wooden shed and the other corner is built on top of the stone boundary walls. corrugated sheeting. looks to be 30ish years old - we've been here 17 years and the family before us were here for a good 25 at least.

can anyone tell me the likelihood of this being asbestos and how else i should check?

If you can't scratch it with a fingernail it's probably asbestos, if you can scratch it, it's probably cellulose fibre.

so i should check this out before i do any more clearing out of the shed or can it wait until we take it down, which is the plan either this year or next.

so i should check this out before i do any more clearing out of the shed or can it wait until we take it down, which is the plan either this year or next.

As long as it's not broken and fibres/dust aren't dropping off it every time you walk past it should be ok to leave it.

and i can use the shed in the interim? or is it the kind of thing you don't have anywhere near your kids (if in good nick)?

Most of the garden shed/garage roof asbestos isn't that bad. You can remove yourself. You just need disposable masks, gloves and coveralls and you have to wrap the sheets in plastic. Your local tip might take them.

If asbestos is not broken or agitated, it's fine.

it's been locked up for a year, full of ivy and spiders and it's very dusty inside. so while clearing a mask would be a sensible precaution?

it's been locked up for a year, full of ivy and spiders and it's very dusty inside. so while clearing a mask would be a sensible precaution?
A standard dust mask will not prevent you inhaling asbestos fibres, which are much smaller than the filter of the mask. I really would seriously think about getting professionals to deal with it.

Either way, avoid at all costs piercing anything that might be asbestos.

Cardiff council will collect it but takes ages, they send you the bags to put it in, I had to take down a soil pipe myself and they collected the bags of waste.

they wont come take it down for you.

gov.uk says: Large quantities/ sizes of asbestos (in excess of 600mm x 600mm) cannot be collected by the council and can only be collected by licensed companies.

so i guess that's us out - these sheets make up a quarter of a shed

gov.uk says: Large quantities/ sizes of asbestos (in excess of 600mm x 600mm) cannot be collected by the council and can only be collected by licensed companies.

so i guess that's us out - these sheets make up a quarter of a shed

my bad then, mine was soil pipe and they sent me bags to put it in.

what i'm reading makes me think it's low risk, but having lost loved ones to lung cancer the kids aren't going anywhere near it. will get someone out to test it before anything gets taken down.

would someone come out for free from the council?

Some do free disposal of domestic Asbestos if you being it to a specific site and meet a host of other conditions like pre-booked appointments, correct bagging and prove residency.

Mine don't at all - which is why I've got some bagged-up and waiting in my garden after my recent roof repairs till I can find someone from the next council area to dispose of it for me at their site or pay
£150+ for a commercial uplift. :(

The horrible fact about asbestos is that it can take thirty years plus before any signs of lung damage present themselves. Please be cautious and get an expert opinion.
It is costly having it removed but the risks are high too.

what i'm reading makes me think it's low risk, but having lost loved ones to lung cancer the kids aren't going anywhere near it. will get someone out to test it before anything gets taken down.
It's as dangerous to adults as to children. There's no reason for you to take less precaution just because you aren't a child.

no, i'm aware i have responsibilities. but it would be my (semi)informed choice if i decide to expose myself to risk.

no, i'm aware i have responsibilities. but it would be my (semi)informed choice if i decide to expose myself to risk.
Then you should be aware that there is no safe level of exposure to asbestos. A single fibre hitting the wrong place in your body will give you mesothelioma (or lung cancer or asbestosis or pleurisy or pleural scarring). Now, white asbestos, which would tend to be the type used in domestic structures, is considerably (orders of magnitude) less likely to lodge that fibre in the wrong place than is blue or brown asbestos. But it's still lethal with a bit of bad luck.

So exposing yourself to risk is basically rolling dice and gambling your life that it doesn't come up with a double 1.

Hi, I work for an asbestos consultant. The only way of finding out 100% if it is asbestos is to have it tested, you can pay for a surveyor to come and do that for you or if you're careful break a piece off and send it to a lab. As it's external the risks are low, but if you do it yourself use a wet wipe to minimise fibre release and bag up any tools used until you know if it is or isn't asbestos.
If it is positive it sounds like asbestos cement which is non-licensable, meaning it will be cheaper to get removed. Some waste sites do take it but you have to call them first to let them know you're coming, and like someone else said, it needs to be wrapped in poly before you move it. Alternatively an asbestos removal contractor can get rid of it for you. PM me if you need anymore info :)

Back
Top Bottom