Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

appearance fees?

friendofdorothy

Solidarity against neoliberalism!
Anyone experience of what rates of pay might be expected for appearance fee for attending an a panel discussion event?

depends what it's all about / what the organisation is, and whether it's something you feel strongly about / want to be represented in.

at the very least, i'd expect travel expenses to be offered, and to be fed tea and biccies.

think i did one when i was a part time student, and got something like twenty quid (that would have been about 10 years ago)

I assumed this was being on a discussion panel at an event, e.g. a conference or convention, than anything to do with market research.

Sure, yeah, me too. I was just talking in terms of rates of remuneration being comparable.

I assumed this was being on a discussion panel at an event, e.g. a conference or convention, than anything to do with market research.
yes that sort of thing. I'm used to doing these things for free - but I wondered if people are paid, what is reasonable to expect for an hour or two of 'expert' presence and a short speech

Like if a beer company (let’s say) wants you to be in a group to discuss its latest advert campaign ideas, there will be tea and biccies and maybe £50 in it for you for a couple of hours.
If its a beer company I'd want beer not tea. Maybe some peanuts as well.

If its a beer company I'd want beer not tea. Maybe some peanuts as well.

Yeah, I was kind of pretending it was hypothetical but at the one I went to I think we did get a beer when discussing (non-drivers only), and a couple to take away.
Was a fair while back.

in which case -

guess it depends how much the organisation in question is making out of the event, and if so whether that's corporate profits or funds towards (something you consider to be) a good cause.

some people would be enthusiastic enough to do it for nothing anyway, and they are probably the people who shouldn't do it...

Yeah, I was kind of pretending it was hypothetical but at the one I went to I think we did get a beer when discussing (non-drivers only), and a couple to take away.
Was a fair while back.
I hope you gave them terrible advise.

Well, I think if I gave them the same advice now it would be considered kind of prescient, but how it fared for them at the time I have no idea.

Was it Brewdog and was your advice "don't be a pratt"? :D

In terms of the OP, I think it would depend upon what it is you've been asked to speak at, what are its aims, does it promote a cause that you are in favour of if you speak there, and who (if anyone) is making a profit from it.

Was it Brewdog and was your advice "don't be a pratt"? :D

It wasn’t Brewdog, but ironically enough in terms of how that thread went, one thing I wasn’t happy with was something which I saw as objectifying women. We had something of a split in the group over that.

I signed something at the time relating to confidentiality so probably shouldn’t go much further than that. :D

I kind of doubt Brewdog do that kind of focus grouping stuff.

Last edited:
£0 mostly. Maybe expenses. Maybe an honorarium of £50/£100.
funny that was what I was guessing too - but not based on anything for most pay rates its possible to find guides or examples on line - but not this,

in which case -

guess it depends how much the organisation in question is making out of the event, and if so whether that's corporate profits or funds towards (something you consider to be) a good cause.

some people would be enthusiastic enough to do it for nothing anyway, and they are probably the people who shouldn't do it...
It's for a charity. Most speakers are willing to do it for free but the charity got some funding speacially for putting on events. I think its about time that people with expertise and knowledge have that valued, I dont think we sholud expect people to always share that for free. Bless em some of the spreakers are still doing it for free.

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom