Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone know of any good deals on saffron?

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
I am not expecting miracles here.

I discovered this evening that to my utter horror the seal had warped or perished (or been burrowed through) on the jar of my precious stash of saffron and that fucking biscuit beetles (we are currently dealing with an infestation but I'd assumed that everything in airtight/mason jars and tupperware was sealed up tight and safe) had got in and done unspeakable things to it - there was no salvage from this particular wreck, they'd ruined the lot.

I'm absolutely devastated, it was about an ounce (no I am not joking) "imported" *cough* from north Africa by someone I know - not the very top grade of saffron, but decent stuff nonetheless and perfectly good for my home cooking - and well out of my price range here in the UK. I feel like crying right now, facing a saffron-limited future :(

The 1g box of Spanish saffron strands which I got from Baldwins this spring was about £4.50 if that's any help.

1g box is £3.99 in Leeds Market from "Spice Corner"

Some of the Indian stuff is cheaper (2g for a fiver) - but that's about as cheap as the Spanish stuff gets round here.

Thanks for the info.

Last lot came from a spice market in a country with which GBP had a very favourable exchange rate, I'd consider doing that again (plus a couple of days sightseeing of course) if I had any money to do so, if I knew where was a good place to go at the moment (in terms of prices and exchange rate), and if my passport hadn't expired, obviously renewing it will add to the cost and I can't justify any of those costs right now. :(

I use saffron fairly frequently (or at least I did when I had some that didn't cost me an arm and a leg), I'm going to have to be a bit more careful about using it.

This has been a bit of a kick in the teeth, I'd started taking it for granted. :(

Back
Top Bottom