Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone know about Yorkshire Relish??

See Spiney's post just before yours Martin :) Maybe the page before yours depending on your set up.

Spiney was talking about Henderson's. Mr Swift is asking about Hammonds. I wish I could help, but I have never heard of Llanchire. Is it in Wales?

Four generations (as far as I can make out) of my family were involved in this business. My great-great grandfather left 2/3 of Goodhall Backhouse and Co to my great-grandfather, who subsequently bought the remaining share from his cousin in 1916 for £36,000. My grandfather, George Bowman, worked his whole life in the company and my uncle, Bill Bowman, was involved in the sale to Hammonds when death duties meant the company had to pass out of family hands.

My aunt, Bill's widow, bought the box of documents found in the old Hammond building, and when I have time I will be trawling through for any useful information - it's mostly legal documents and accounts.

Hammonds I believe ended up as part of Grand Metropolitan, and I am trying to put together a storyline of YR's subsequent history. The Goodalls and YR brands passed from Premier Foods to Robert Roberts in 2010, since when they have been manufacturing YR sauce (it seems to have lost the full Yorkshire Relish designation along the way) in Donegal, Ireland.

I have written to the company asking for any more information and as to whether they have an English distributor, as I have been unable to get hold of any YR since the Co-op in Hazlemere ceased stocking it, and a butcher in Kilburn where I used to be able to buy it, went out of business.

I'll post any thing else I find out, and would be grateful if anyone can provide any solid information about the history of the best brown sauce ever made. Not that I'm in any way partisan...

hi , about ten years ago a man called john senior from leeds was pulling down an old mill when in the roof space he found the original hand written recipe for yorhshire relish... along with lots of other amazing documents conected to goodall backhouse & co leeds , dated 1872 0nwards , these items are now up for auction on the 24th of may at gary don auctions leeds
I have access to this box...

I am absolutely loving that this site is now the second result when you Google 'Yorkshire Relish' and as such is attracting so much interest from Relish enthusiasts!
Fascinating story Mike - Hope you find some YR soon.

I have just had a lovely reply from Roisin O'Shea at Robert Roberts. She is putting together a history of Goodall's and seemed very interested in the family perspective I was able to provide (and the contents of the Hammond's box, which will now require some serious examination.)

She also tells me that the larger Tesco stores have YR, both thick and thin, in their Irish Foods sections, so worth checking those out. What is more, a box of each is on their way over - whoopee!

I was just looking at the 1911 census for North Grange Road, Headingley, and was intrigued to find a Mr William Powell Bowman, age 48, born Howden, Yorks. Intrigued because where most people give their occupation as e.g. Weaver, Labourer, Doctor or Whatever, he turned it into an advertisement and wrote with a flourish:
"Wholesale Druggist & Manufacturer of the Celebrated Yorkshire Relish"
So I looked it up, and found my way here. Yorkshire Relish and mushy peas. Who'd have thought it.
For anyone interested, the rest of the household is:
his wife Mary 43, son George 10, Daughter Mary 7, son Herbert 3, and three servants.
16 North Grange Road looks like it's still there. Probably student flats now. And I bet they don't eat Yorkshire Relish neither. Ee.

best Yorkshire Relish I've had is from a little sandwich shop in Beverley who do a sideline in family recipee yorkshire erm hold on, it's Yorkshire Chutney, is that the same thing?:hmm:

absolutely amazing stuff it is.

Hi All ... Just been walking today in the shibden valley near halifax .. Whilst crossing a stream came across a Yorkshire relish bottle .. Half buried but fully intact... Good find I thought but even better now I know some history.. Thanks all.,

I am very interested in this topic as it is a story in my family that my Great, Great Grandfather actually invented the Yorkshire Relish recipe and sold it to Goodall and Backhouse. This would be in the 1850/60/70 timescale. If the recently found documents could shed any light on this it would be great for our family history. The man in question was a herbalist/chemist/dentist in the Hunslet

Hi, does any body know the price of the Yorkshire relish thick because I was metal detecting and found over 100 old bottle including the Yorkshire relish, thanks

I have often thought of Yorkshire Relish This as I was sure I had used it in 19 50 something when I stayed with my aunt in Banbridge Co.Down. I can never rember it since but Googleing it brought me to tnis page. Interesting! I thjink of it as like Wosyerskire Sause but not the same>

Last edited:
Hello everyone. About six months ago I found this book at Newark market, published in 1891 by Goodall, Backhouse and co.
3E32wCkl.jpg

It contains a lot of interesting old recipes (united by one extremely important common ingredient), patent medicine advertisements - including one for phosphorous colloid, which claimed to be capable of giving twenty extra years of life, each page bordered by decorative aphorisms. I scanned every page, you can look at it all here.

I posted this a while back on a forum I prat about on, and it has kind of become a meme among us. And now I find that the recipe has been discovered! I'd really like to see a scanned picture of this recipe, it's a treasure and some of my internet pals are into brewing up insane booze and jams and would fall over themselves to try and make it. I'll try and message Mike Hitchcock but it's been a long time since he posted, so I'm not holding out too much hope. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I'd be eternally grateful.

Whilst walking the Water of Leith in Edinburgh I too have found a complete but empty bottle of "Yorkshire Relish" . Now thanks to this post, you gotta love the internet for sad dads like me, I know more about Goodall Backhouse & Co. Regards DGO

Hello everyone. About six months ago I found this book at Newark market, published in 1891 by Goodall, Backhouse and co.
3E32wCkl.jpg

It contains a lot of interesting old recipes (united by one extremely important common ingredient), patent medicine advertisements - including one for phosphorous colloid, which claimed to be capable of giving twenty extra years of life, each page bordered by decorative aphorisms. I scanned every page, you can look at it all here.

I posted this a while back on a forum I prat about on, and it has kind of become a meme among us. And now I find that the recipe has been discovered! I'd really like to see a scanned picture of this recipe, it's a treasure and some of my internet pals are into brewing up insane booze and jams and would fall over themselves to try and make it. I'll try and message Mike Hitchcock but it's been a long time since he posted, so I'm not holding out too much hope. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him I'd be eternally grateful.

That's a lovely old book, with some stuff I've never heard of in it like Wharfedale Pudding. :cool:

And the site lets you download all the images in a zip file which makes it a damn site easier. :)

Was digging in the front garden earlier and found a Goodall Backhouse & Co yorkshire relish bottle.
Considering it must have been in the garden for a long time it's in fairly good condition.

We've googled it but not come up with much cept it was made in Leeds and sold for 6d, 1s and 2s!! :eek: Also it was the cheapest, best and most delicious relish in the world :D

So what happened to it? And has anyone ever had it? Apparently they even sold 8 million bottles of it in one year.

I'm intrigues and want to know more :cool:
Realise this question is almost as historic as the original Yorkshire Relish bottle your found! We used to have it as a staple condiment at home when I was growing up in 1960s Belfast. The bottle was as iconic as HP brown sauce. Have tried very hard to find it but most times without success. Got it once in Harrod's some years ago but last time I was there it was absent from their shelves. The source may have been Goodall's of Dublin, they have their own website, don't know how up-to-date it is but their address is 79 Broomhill Rd, Kilmanagh, phone: 01 4047300 email: info@goodalls.ie

Back
Top Bottom