Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone been to Tunisia

What's it like?

My inlaws are coming over tonight and talking about us going on a family holiday there.

I shUdder at the memory..it was so bad that i managed to creATE A SMALL RIOT IN THE HOTEl:oops:,DEMANDING TO BE FLOWEN HOME....SOME NICE ENGISH BLOKES lENT uS THe $$ FOR THE FARE HOME BUT BY THat time A REP FROM THE UK HAD FLOWEN OVER TO GET ME UNDER CONTROLL AND WE FLEW HoME FREE...SHUDdR...NEVER AGAIN.

i must add inaven;tread the thred just tis was my experience.

I've only been on one package holiday before and it was to Hamammet at a place called The Samira Club. All the english seemed to think the place was beneath them because they had to serve themselves at the carvery every night and because there were camels on the beach sometimes.
They were useless at football too.

oh. Was thinking this as summer hols but thread suggests its a bad idea.
Any more recent / less shit reviews of Tunisia?

I shUdder at the memory..it was so bad that i managed to creATE A SMALL RIOT IN THE HOTEl:oops:,DEMANDING TO BE FLOWEN HOME....SOME NICE ENGISH BLOKES lENT uS THe $$ FOR THE FARE HOME BUT BY THat time A REP FROM THE UK HAD FLOWEN OVER TO GET ME UNDER CONTROLL AND WE FLEW HoME FREE...SHUDdR...NEVER AGAIN.

i must add inaven;tread the thred just tis was my experience.

Haha, obviously off chops on this day :oops::D

Went to Hammermet about 10 years ago, proper cheap. Got a last minute all inclusive deal - I think we paid about 200quid each for 2 weeks out there. There were lots of retired english couples overwintering....

Hotel complex was great but there was a building site next door, views from room were average.
We got insanely drunk every night, the guy in the [hotel's own] Shisha cafe asked us to get him some booze from the bar - he would carry away 2x double whiskeys every time he took our empties. He was very generous in supplying me with free charcoal and molasses to take home. Gave me advice on how to choose a shisha.

We walked down the the old town, and back up to the new town. Some nice cafes and tea/shisha lounges. No major hassle from locals. The old town was a maze with EXIT signs on shop doorways trying to lure you in for the hard sell on carpets rugs etc.

Went for a lovely horse ride in the countryside. Horses were well looked after and in very good condition. Again, all arranged by the hotel.

Wasn't the most memorable holiday but certainly wasn't shit either. Weather was nice, beach was nice. Sea was clean and warm.

The kind of place where you drink, tan, swim and leave the complex rarely.

They need the tourists tbh.

Meant to be interesting post revolution. My morrocan mate wants to go - would feel more comfortable going with him tho!

I had a good holiday in Hammermet too. Cheap, good weather, friendly locals. Did a few coach tours, Tunis, Kirouan (?sp) and Carthage. All worth seeing. Camel rides to have tea at a locals house. Friends used to overwinter there too, they loved it and went for months at a time as it was better weather and more comfortable for their health conditions than cold here.

Despite mixed reports on this thread we booked 7 nights at the end of March. Really excited. Hiring a car from the airport and going to book hotels in probably 3 locations and try and see as much as we can. I want see Carthage and the areas around it, have a day and a night in Tunis and spend some time along the coast.

Any recommendations of places that are really worth going to soak up culture and see nice views? My partner spent quite a while learning Arabic some years ago although she's very rusty. I guess I should have a go at learning at least a little bit more French!

Flying a week today. Really excited. Decided to just book the first nights accommodation and be really flexible. Drive around lots, find cool little places to eat and see as much as we can.

Just realised that its Ramadan. Which might curtail some of the eating and drinking. :facepalm:

Bet you'll be invited for some excellent iftars though!

Not as such sadly. Never have I travelled somewhere and struggled to eat as much as here. The scenery is amazing, but a combination of Ramadan and going to quiter places just before tourist season and places are dead. We've accepted we aren't getting lunch (or even breakfast) but last night couldn't even get dinner. Luckily there was a small stove in the place we staying so was able to cook pasta and tomatoes. Arrived in Tunis today and the mediana was dead. We were honestly thinking it would be stale bread and walked down a street were people were preparing to break iftars. Not sure if we were welcome as it was very local, but old chap gestured us over and gave us some dates and we sat down. I had no clue what I was getting as the menu was in Arabic but just said yes and got some lentil soup and omelette like thing and then chicken rice. :) Spotted a few places later in the new town for tomorrow, but for the rest of trip we're travelling with food.

It's a shame as its an amazing country. We've driven past and stopped at deserted beaches, saw flamingos, lunched on a mountain overlooking the sea. The driving hasn't even been as full on a I feared it might be (but not without its moments).

PXL_20230328_131038711.jpgPXL_20230328_085814467.jpgPXL_20230327_114145688.jpgPXL_20230326_182045195.jpg

Back
Top Bottom