Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anne (Hillsborough drama series, ITV)

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
Fuck me this is horrible :(
I knew it wasn't going to be light entertainment, but I'm in bits watching it.
Seems to be well done so far but ffs do not watch if you're likely to find the subject matter too much.
I dunno if it is milking a terrible tragedy for voyeuristic dramatic purposes at this point (only halfway through the 1st episode), will have to see how the rest of it goes, it will depend on the direction it takes I reckon.

Anyone else watching it?

Yeh I'm watching it. Harrowing, but it is and was harrowing, so in that respect it's good, if difficult.

Maxine Peake is well over acting though, and that accent's fkn dire.

Well I thought that was an excellent retelling of the details.

Still fucking enraged they all got off, still can't believe that after finally publically apologising , Duckenfield walked away from it.
I was half in the mind like Epona that it was up to the edge of voyeurism but I also agree that it was a great retelling of the narrative of events

It's surprising that many people don't know the details, but many don't so this will have brought the extent of the cover up home to some people

Yeh I'm watching it. Harrowing, but it is and was harrowing, so in that respect it's good, if difficult.

Maxine Peake is well over acting though, and that accent's fkn dire.
Maxine Peake grew up only 20 miles from where Anne Williams was from, you'd think she'd get the accent right. ;)

Luckily for me we had bought a couple of boxes of tissues just the other day. Boy, did I need them. Very powerful performances. Don't know about the accent, being an effete southerner. Really impressed by the reality of all those friends and relatives not giving up over so many years. Sickened, as usual, by the establishment.

I haven't watched the rest of it yet as I had some bad news and haven't been in the right headspace to cope with something this upsetting - I assume it will be on the ITV Hub for a while? I do want to see the rest when I feel a bit more on an even keel.

Maxine Peake grew up only 20 miles from where Anne Williams was from, you'd think she'd get the accent right. ;)
20 miles is a long way round here - accents change dramatically over less than 5 miles, never mind 20. MP grew up in Bolton and has that accent. Formby accent is absolutely nothing like a Bolton accent. She clearly struggled getting it right.

I haven't watched the rest of it yet as I had some bad news and haven't been in the right headspace to cope with something this upsetting - I assume it will be on the ITV Hub for a while? I do want to see the rest when I feel a bit more on an even keel.
Sorry to hear that Epona . No idea how long stuff stays up on there tbh.

20 miles is a long way round here - accents change dramatically over less than 5 miles, never mind 20. MP grew up in Bolton and has that accent. Formby accent is absolutely nothing like a Bolton accent. She clearly struggled getting it right.
I dont think it was terrible
She just went for a much stronger Liverpool accent than a Formby accent but that's quite a niche accent to get right

I grew up not far from Formby and a lot of people I knew had fairly strong Liverpool accents at that time as there was a lot of new housing in the 70s bought by people from Liverpool. I probably have a Formbyish accent because my parents didn't have strong Liverpool accents.

I haven't watched it, I don't think I will.

There were two dramatizations of the disaster that have always stuck in the mind - Jimmy McGovern's Hillsborough and the Cracker story To Be a Somebody, again, written by McGovern. The latter was more about how the disaster affected Robert Carlyle's character, iirc.

And both were ITV dramas.

Thought it was excellent and I'm surprised there aren't more replies here. Didn't really think about it being voyeuristic, but probably should have. Certainly the initial grief scenes were, for want of a better word, 'visceral'. Anne's daughter featured heavily in a Maxine Peake documentary on Hillsborough, so I'm guessing/hoping the family were okay with it.

The focus was on the family, which left some of the public aspects of the campaign in the background, which was fine I suppose (for example the role of the club, but also some of the differences between the different family groups). Suspect it will win awards, even if it wasn't the best acted thing ever. It was just the power of the story that drove it on.

Seems to be well done so far but ffs do not watch if you're likely to find the subject matter too much.
I dunno if it is milking a terrible tragedy for voyeuristic dramatic purposes at this point (only halfway through the 1st episode), will have to see how the rest of it goes, it will depend on the direction it takes I reckon.

Anyone else watching it?
They didn’t dramatise the incident itself, not sure what more they could have done. Not mention it either? It was, and is, horrific.

They didn’t dramatise the incident itself, not sure what more they could have done. Not mention it either? It was, and is, horrific.

Aye, to provide a little context, I started the thread shortly after episode 1 had started on ITV, not after I had seen it, so had no way of knowing how they would deal with it.

I still haven't watched the rest yet.

Back
Top Bottom