Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

Was getting rid of the traditional signage, and rebranding as "bar and restaurant" in response to what the non-gentrified segment of the local community was after?

Brick_Wall.jpg

Was getting rid of the traditional signage, and rebranding as "bar and restaurant" in response to what the non-gentrified segment of the local community was after?
Like a lot of struggling pubs, they hoped that by giving the pub a lick of paint, a bit of a rebrand and offering some Caribbean food they may have kept their heads above water. The character of the pub barely changed and the changes had nothing to do with 'gentrification', it was more about trying to give a tired old pub a new lease of life and trying to attract more locals in.

Sadly, it didn't work.

It wasn't that long ago that the main bar had a hefty metal column put in to stop the roof falling down - that's how run down it had become.

If you haven't got anything on topic to add, why don't you fuck off with your tiresome, childish and disruptive shit?

There was me thinking this was a public messageboard, for people to post on!

Silly me.

@editor

Exactly, whose going to want to run a bar with flats on top and at the back.

No-one. They always say this, and then, after a period of pretending to offer the ground floor for rent as a bar, and unsurprisingly not finding any takers, then end up letting it as a shop or something.

Even leaving aside the problem of the residents living above a newly-opened bar inevitably complaining about noise, pubs and bars tend to need their upstairs accommodation so at least the owner / manager can live in, and possibly some staff can be "paid" partly in a room to live in.

For some reason, councils seem to accept these totally specious claims that the ground floor of a converted pub can still work as a pub when shorn of its upper floors.

Giles..

No-one. They always say this, and then, after a period of pretending to offer the ground floor for rent as a bar, and unsurprisingly not finding any takers, then end up letting it as a shop or something.

Even leaving aside the problem of the residents living above a newly-opened bar inevitably complaining about noise, pubs and bars tend to need their upstairs accommodation so at least the owner / manager can live in, and possibly some staff can be "paid" partly in a room to live in.

For some reason, councils seem to accept these totally specious claims that the ground floor of a converted pub can still work as a pub when shorn of its upper floors.

Giles..
Yep. I'l be amazed if the Angel comes back as a bar. It's been well and truly Warrior'd.

I note the ground floor 'office' space on the nearby shonky Viaduct development remains empty and unloved, ready to be turned into flats or - it seems - the inevitable conversion into another ruddy supermarket.

The Brick Box
Here's a message from one of our associate producers at Art Nouveau Brixton, a brilliant new arts facility in Brixton...

Do you run an event, club or meet up in the weekday? Are you looking for space to host your activity? Why not have it at Art Nouveau Brixton?

We're looking for groups that want to take advantage of all the lovely space we have here at Art Nouveau Brixton. Even if you're thinking of starting something we'd love to support you get it off the ground.

There's plenty of seating, tables and floorspace to do a whole host of things, and we're happy to operate a minimum spend type arrangement or reasonable hire fee.

Please share this message. Anyone interested can get it touch with Connie & Betty please email artnouveaubrixton@gmail.com or call 07946 239 583

Oh, I'm thinking it might make more sense to start a new thread as it doesn't seem fair to tar this new venture with all the warm glow of community goodwill that their Angel venture generated.

Did my eyes deceive me, or have the outbuildings at the back of the Angel recently been demolished?

I keep hearing rumours that the all-gentrifying grip of the Village Effect is likely to claim another victim, with the Angel's ground floor being turned into an upmarket 'gourmet' burger experience.

If it turns out to be affordable, then I'm all for it as I'd rather see the building being put to use (although I'd much rather it revert back to being a pub), but if it turns out to be another premium-priced joint for those with Jay Rayner sized wallets, I'll be disappointed.

I keep hearing rumours that the all-gentrifying grip of the Village Effect is likely to claim another victim, with the Angel's ground floor being turned into an upmarket 'gourmet' burger experience.

The same 'victim' then, rather than 'another'.

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that whatever business starts up in the Angel, it will be aimed directly at the nu-Brixton/Village demographic, rather than the people living directly opposite. And if I'm right, that would be a shame.

Back
Top Bottom