Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

- Because you can see it from your window? This seems the most plausible reason to me.
Try reading what I've actually written instead of indulging in your usual tedious and disruptive scattergun personal attacks. I've already explained the reasons why I'm not that impressed with a £40 event taking place at this venue and NIMBYism is none of them.

Why did the Angel shut down in the first place? Lack of punters or cuntish brewery?
I think it struggled to compete with the cheap booze on offer in the nearby shops. I imagine with a bit of imagination - and perhaps some help from the right quarters - the pub could still be operating in some format or another, but traditional businesses rarely get such help.

The pub has a very rich history indeed - it was one of the first Brixton pubs to “sell drinks to coloured people” – and before that there's an interesting Victorian circus connection. I knew it best as a friendly, traditional West Indian pub. It was a shame to see it go.

Reactions: CH1
Why did the Angel shut down in the first place? Lack of punters or cuntish brewery?

Lack of customers i think. I used to live next door to it. Was totally empty a lot of the time. The couple of times i did go in i was greeted with much suspicion and hostility. Not missed.

Lack of customers i think. I used to live next door to it. Was totally empty a lot of the time. The couple of times i did go in i was greeted with much suspicion and hostility. Not missed.
Can't say I found the folks there anything other than welcoming and friendly.

You actively promote Brixton nightlife with the Brixtonbuzz website amongst other stuff. And do a good job of it. You also run regular nights and do a good job of that too. And yet you are objecting to a new nightlife venue in Brixton. Why?
- Because they are using a building that was once a pub? It's in no way unique in that regard.
- Because they are charging for entry? Again in no way unique in that regard. £5 is not expensive for a night of entertainment.
- Because they are offering food? Plenty of other places in Brixton offering food and plenty where you could spend £35 for less than a four course meal.
- Because it will attract "yuppies"? A large chunk of Brixton's nightlife scene is entirely dependant on relatively affluent young folk. There's absolutely nothing new there. There are already plenty of clubs that regularly charge £15/£20 plus to get in and then £4 for a bottle of beer at the bar.
- Because you can see it from your window? This seems the most plausible reason to me.

Because I think its advertising itself as a community centre. The list you make is for business enterprises something which is completely different to a community centre.

There are already plenty of clubs that regularly charge £15/£20 plus to get in and then £4 for a bottle of beer at the bar.
Could you list some of these plentiful Brixton clubs regularly charging "£15/£20 plus to get in and then £4 for a bottle of beer at the bar," please?

Thanks.

Could you list some of these plentiful Brixton clubs regularly charging "£15/£20 plus to get in and then £4 for a bottle of beer at the bar," please?

Thanks.

How much is a passport? In some clubs a passport is required for entry ;)

To be fair to Brick Box, their set-up in the Villaage hasn't been exclusive in the least - cheap food and free art events for kids. So I respectfully suggest that the naysayers wait a bit and see what actually happens, rather than getting the knives out before they've even started.

I avoid bits of Granville Arcade now. I was walking through, laden with veg and one of a brace of hipsters loudly said that Brixton would be great if it wasn't for the chavvy people. Had my shopping been a little lighter and I was a little less knackered I would have swung a bag of spuds and carrots at him. I've lived here for a very long time and it made my blood boil.

To be fair to Brick Box, their set-up in the Villaage hasn't been exclusive in the least - cheap food and free art events for kids. So I respectfully suggest that the naysayers wait a bit and see what actually happens, rather than getting the knives out before they've even started.
I haven't objected to Brick Box: it's just this hoity toity launch night that I think isn't the greatest idea.

I'd much rather the building be used for something than nothing, even if it is only a temporary measure designed to eventually help the developers extract maximum return on their investment.

On Urban?

/Does not compute.com

I avoid bits of Granville Arcade now. I was walking through, laden with veg and one of a brace of hipsters loudly said that Brixton would be great if it wasn't for the chavvy people. Had my shopping been a little lighter and I was a little less knackered I would have swung a bag of spuds and carrots at him. I've lived here for a very long time and it made my blood boil.

What a cunt :rolleyes:

Do they take over the entire pub and charge people £5 just to walk about?

Way to go to miss the point.
Hmm. The actual format of the entertainment is a long way from my tastes, and I can see its disappointing / annoying that what had been hoped to be an 'old Brixton' friendly community arts space appears more likely to be targeted at the lower-middle class professional demographic of Brixton village... But I must take issue with the above:

It's live performance. There will be performers there who certainly won't be earning union rates. Should they not at least be in with a chance of having their expenses paid? Why should you expect actors to work for free?

It's live performance. There will be performers there who certainly won't be earning union rates. Should they not at least be in with a chance of having their expenses paid? Why should you expect actors to work for free?
Blimey, that's some twist on the story.

I'm all for professional actors and performers having their fees paid (even though I doubt these will all be professional actors), but I'm not entirely sure what it has to do with the point about whether an exclusive £40 supper club is the most appropriate way to launch this 'community arts space'.

Because in the post I quoted you said "do they take over the entire pub and charge people £5 just to walk about"

Brick box are charging people five pounds for live entertainment. Live entertainers should be paid. And it's the kind of work pro actors are constantly faced with doing for free, to build their CVs or because they find this kind of work artistically fulfilling. that £5 isn't "just to walk about" - it will hopefully cover their expenses.

What you posted was dismissive of what they were doing and the appropriateness of that being charged for at the door.

Because in the post I quoted you said "do they take over the entire pub and charge people £5 just to walk about"

Brick box are charging people five pounds for live entertainment. Live entertainers should be paid. And it's the kind of work pro actors are constantly faced with doing for free, to build their CVs or because they find this kind of work artistically fulfilling. that £5 isn't "just to walk about" - it will hopefully cover their expenses.

What you posted was dismissive of what they were doing and the appropriateness of that being charged for at the door.
You've no idea if they're pro/wannabe actors or just people happy to do it for fun, not that this is really the point anyway. I charge nothing for live entertainers and I make sure their expenses are covered, although many are happy to do it for a beer or two, just like I often do.

The original landlord Ricky claimed he was framed in a police raid. They planted cocaine in the gents toilet cistern he said (at the Police Consultative Group). Either way that probably frightened off the more youthful customers, in it's previous incarnation. When it reopened for a while with new dolly bird bar staff whose eyes were glued to Sky TV it was way too expensive to get the punters back from the Beehive.
Not sure about the brewery bit - I suspect it was a genuine free house in it's final incarnation. Since the new owners had paid £505,000 for it and sold it for and much larger sum, I don't think you can cast it as a precursor of the "Sun and Doves".

You've no idea if they're pro/wannabe actors or just people happy to do it for fun, not that this is really the point anyway. I charge nothing for live entertainers and I make sure their expenses are covered, although many are happy to do it for a beer or two, just like I often do.
Is it a licences venue then, that can afford to pay performer expenses from the profit they make at the bar? Theatre rarely works like that. It generally has to charge admission to cover essential costs.

Like expenses.

Back
Top Bottom