Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amazon Studios to adapt Iain M Banks "Culture" series

I do have to wonder if it was green-lit entirely off the Musk-Bezos rocketry rivalry.

He didn't have any problem with having his books on Kindle or Audible and he was comfortable taking money from the Macmillan mega-corp to buy his BMW M5 so I think he would have triumphed in the struggle to come to terms with an Amazon deal.

Banks would have seen the heads up display as a small step towards his universe

Just make sure you reread the books before this gets shown. That's what I'm going to do.
I'm not so sure that's the best course of action - it's been years since I read Consider Phlebas, and whilst I'm tempted to refresh my memory, part of me thinks it might be better not to have a detailed memory of the book - maybe that way I'll judge the telly version more on its own merits, iyswim...

Have most of the books lined up to read, once I finish the Malazan epics.

Just finishing the first malazan book (read based on your post as a recommendation).

Are they worth continuing with? First one was decent but hard to understand in places.

Just finishing the first malazan book (read based on your post as a recommendation).

Are they worth continuing with? First one was decent but hard to understand in places.

Oh yes. I've just finished book 5 and they keep getting better and better.

With the first book, Erikson drops you right in the thick of it & he doesn't hold your hand, so it can take a while to get a feel for things but stick with it.

This is quite a good guide with not too many spoilers

I didn't really get the mythic structure until the Chain of Dogs (in Deadhouse Gates). Its good shit tho, I read all ten of them, and ian c esslemonts entries as well. Would recommend highly

I didn't really get the mythic structure until the Chain of Dogs (in Deadhouse Gates). Its good shit tho, I read all ten of them, and ian c esslemonts entries as well. Would recommend highly

I think Tehol & Bugg made book 5 for me!

Looking fwd to the Culture series after, if I finish Erikson soon

Has anyone heard anything about this recently? I'm just wondering because Amazon Studios just did an announcement about their stupendously-budgeted Lord of the Rings project, and they're also doing stuff with The Wheel of Time and Ringworld, and I'm suspecting that their primary focus has moved elsewhere.

I dunno. Perhaps this is them ramping up. They managed to do a solid on most adaptations leading up to this so now are feeling fairly confident.

I would like to see the player of games on TV, not sure over how many episodes they would film it though, and just a shame that TV is so fragmented that I would likely not buy prime just to see this.

Well I can't say I'm not intrigued.

I made a late return to SF with the Culture. I would hate to see them spoiled.

Less would be more in this case, I suspect.

Has anyone heard anything about this recently? I'm just wondering because Amazon Studios just did an announcement about their stupendously-budgeted Lord of the Rings project, and they're also doing stuff with The Wheel of Time and Ringworld, and I'm suspecting that their primary focus has moved elsewhere.

They fucking would do Ringworld now that Chow Yun Fat is too old to play Louis Wu.

I would like to see the player of games on TV, not sure over how many episodes they would film it though, and just a shame that TV is so fragmented that I would likely not buy prime just to see this.

Player of games does feel more... filmable.

Not sure how well they could get into people's heads though. I guess perhaps he would have to talk to either the ships mind or the ambassador/cultural attache a bit more.

Well, I have just finished watching Catch 22 on C4 catchup.

I was a bit dubious that it would make good TV and would be faithful to the book, but bravo, my feeling is that it was excellent and transferred to the small screen very well.

On that basis, I am hopeful Iain M Banks's creations could also work on the small screen.
Bring it on!

Well, I have just finished watching Catch 22 on C4 catchup.

I was a bit dubious that it would make good TV and would be faithful to the book, but bravo, my feeling is that it was excellent and transferred to the small screen very well.

On that basis, I am hopeful Iain M Banks's creations could also work on the small screen.
Bring it on!

World War 2 vs technology so advanced we couldnt understand it. Seems a fair comparison.

World War 2 vs technology so advanced we couldnt understand it. Seems a fair comparison.
Advanced technology is like magic in film or books, you just go with the "it just works" until they start breaking pre-existing rules or change the meaning of what happened before (yes that well known film franchise).
In the same way you flap around with pre-current technologies, you either go with what people expect or explain why their expectation is wrong.
Both are bound with broadly the same subtle rules of suspension of disbelief.
The rules have to be established and consistent unless you have a good explanation.

Advanced technology is like magic in film or books, you just go with the "it just works" until they start breaking pre-existing rules or change the meaning of what happened before (yes that well known film franchise).
In the same way you flap around with pre-current technologies, you either go with what people expect or explain why their expectation is wrong.
The rules have to be established and consistent unless you have a good explanation.

Ok. Fair. It's still easier I think to do stuff in the past then far future and not look naff.

No they don't

Back
Top Bottom