Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Allotments in the Tower of London moat

You found the Missing Link :cool:

When you go to a museum, what do you look at? I like the more personal finds - notes, graffiti, clothes.

Yes same, the stuff that gives you a little snapshot of somebody's every day life.

ringo - where did you study? The archeologists at UCL were a hardcore group. Do you know Big Mike?

Sheffield, early 90's. Most of the field archaeologists in the UK studied at Sheffield, Bournemouth or UCL. I've known a couple of Big Mikes, both had dreads, but that doesn't narrow it down much in archaeology :D

Yes same, the stuff that gives you a little snapshot of somebody's every day life.

Sheffield, early 90's. Most of the field archaeologists in the UK studied at Sheffield, Bournemouth or UCL. I've known a couple of Big Mikes, both had dreads, but that doesn't narrow it down much in archaeology :D

Massive goth bloke, big beard.

... that probably doesn't narrow it down much either... :D

:cool:

Was it in better or worse nick than that?

Worse when I found it, I had to bandage it up as I removed the earth with a dental pick & paint brush so that it didn't fall apart and painting was hard to see. The conservators took it to bits, cleaned it and glued it back together, a mammoth job. I never found out if the contents revealed anything.

Worse when I found it, I had to bandage it up as I removed the earth with a dental pick & paint brush so that it didn't fall apart and painting was hard to see. The conservators took it to bits, cleaned it and glued it back together, a mammoth job. I never found out if the contents revealed anything.

I bet being a conservator is a great job as well. Finally revealing what something looks like must be great :cool:

It was an elephant on the first floor if I remember rightly. We went to this lecture.

The elephant was Chunee, who came to a bad end. The zoo/menagerie at the 'Exeter Exchange' where the Strand Palace Hotel is now. Read more here.

Yeah, my mates are still skint and moaning, but they also know how lucky they are. I don't do any archaeology at the moment.

clicker - I have some pics at home, I'll have to dig some out. I dug a lot of human skeletons, it was my main interest at Uni. At that French dig we found quite a few Iron Age skeletons - I brought them back to England and did the osteological reports on them for my dissertaion. Nearly didn't get through customs when they found out what I had in the boxes :D. Six of the skulls were in tiny pieces so I had to glue them back together - like a giant 3D puzzle, took hours and hours.

Found a pic online of one of the skeletons I excavated and brought back to the UK to study. Some nice shale & bronze bracelets and pots with her.

tombe_feminine_patural-ffd6a.jpg

IMG_0683_zpsf1cacdc0.jpg

Today's offerings from the Thames. Two nice 17th century trading tokens, Napoleon 111 coin, manorial pipe(broken), medieval pins, half a gentleman's wig curler, lead cow, bits and pieces. I love the face on the broken piece of pottery (bottom left). And of course the obligatory iphone/ipod :)

The 20th of August is always tinged with a little sadness on my birthday. In 1989 myself along with a lot of friends, caught a party boat on the river. Ahead of The Mayflower Garden (our boat) was the Hurlingham and in front of that was The Marchioness.

I can still see quite vividly the row after row of flashing blue lights in the night sky of Police and Ambulances. The lights and music on the boat were switched off and we all took to the sides of the boat looking out for survivors.
We didn't find out the full extent of the loss of life till much later.
Sorry for the derail.

You can go to Thames and walk the foreshore. Anything you find you're entitled to pick up. You must report anything of interest to the museum of London or a local Finds Liason Officer (flo)
If you want to scrap (up to three inches) you need a permit. A three year permit can be purchased form the London Port Authority. They also do day permits. The river can be seriously dangerous. Mudholes for one, and it doesn't take much to be cut off from safety. Go to Rotherhithe or surrounding areas, there are stairs(as opposed to ladders) and you can search a large area....with the stairs in site.
Any help...p.m. me, be glad to help.

You can go to Thames and walk the foreshore. Anything you find you're entitled to pick up. You must report anything of interest to the museum of London or a local Finds Liason Officer (flo)
If you want to scrap (up to three inches) you need a permit. A three year permit can be purchased form the London Port Authority. They also do day permits. The river can be seriously dangerous. Mudholes for one, and it doesn't take much to be cut off from safety. Go to Rotherhithe or surrounding areas, there are stairs(as opposed to ladders) and you can search a large area....with the stairs in site.
Any help...p.m. me, be glad to help.

I've done this quite a few times and never really found anything. Perhaps there are good spots and bad spots (makes sense, really, tides, currents, etc). Can't quite believe you found all that in one day!! You must have a metal detector too, I am guessing.

I later worked for the Museum Of London for a couple of years, mostly big developments in the square mile - best archaeology in the country.

my archaeology tutor worked there for a few years, i believe on the rather sizable collection of bones they have there. I have a distinct impression that he would have definitely preferred to have stayed there rather than teaching a tacked on module to a group of history students that really weren't all that interested in what he was teaching

I've done this quite a few times and never really found anything. Perhaps there are good spots and bad spots (makes sense, really, tides, currents, etc). Can't quite believe you found all that in one day!! You must have a metal detector too, I am guessing.

Yes I do have a detector. But believe me it's not essential. There's a mate of mine who does the river with a detector, his wife never uses one. She is amazing what she finds "eyes only" as it called.
Today's haul from a new spot...
IMG_0698_zps008b86c4.jpg

IMG_0688_zps06018780.jpg

Nice gold coloured railway coat button, cuff link and bits.

That's a good idea! Although some of the people I worked with at the Parks, I wouldn't want to eat celery grown in their boots...

I liked the allotment, I was running the Royal Parks apprenticeship at the time and it was a good resource for the apprentices to learn a bit about veg growing, when most of what they learned was more on the amenity side. It was a great resource for school groups too. A shame when it went.
It was ace. I took the foal there a lot when he was a little'un (or littler than he is now at any rate)

I would be more than happy to do this. The only thing is pinning a date down, I have just bought a scooter for getting in to town for the soul reason of just hopping on when I get the time.
It really is pain, but if a date becomes available, maybe it can be done. That's the thing here I think, getting an agreeable date.

I went on a clean up the river quaggy day with them...in glorious sunshine. Found quite a haul from heaps of toy money to stanley knives and plenty of bottles. I'd love to find something old along the thames.i must be crap at spotting stuff. The amount of time i spend walking along it and not even a clay pipe. Although was amazed by the literally hundreds of bones and oyster shells near the tower of london.

Back
Top Bottom