Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Airfryer - which one is best?

I wish I could order it or go for a meal out, there are loads of really good places - but alas most places (also extending to many far eastern cuisines) have something peanut based on the menu so it's a bit too hazardous :(

Always happy to discuss "Fakeaway" cooking in particular as I am under no illusion that the dishes I cook are authentically from any particular region - but definitely taste authentic in terms of takeaways and restaurants I have visited in the UK, so perhaps a specific Fakeaway cooking and recipes thread covering multiple cuisines might be a goer.

Well yes. Chinese takeaway and authentic are such different things. I love both, but know so little about authentic.

I started this thread but stopped posting mainly due to lack of interest. My skills have massively improved. Also I'm trying to deep fry less stuff as I now do an office job!

My impression of air fryers is that they basically give the same result as a fan oven except there's a lot more faffing around and cleaning involved, plus you have to spray oil on everything. I'd file them away with sandwich toasters as things that seem like a great idea but actually won't get used.

Nah they're brilliant, mine doesn't require that much cleaning and is certainly not a faff - much less so than a sandwich toaster. I use it a couple of times a week at least.

You don't have to spray oil on stuff either. At least I never have. When I am making chips I cut them into a bowl of water then simply drain the water off and add a little oil (by pouring from the bottle) and salt to the cut chips plus any other spices or seasonings I am using if applicable, toss, then into the air fryer basket.

The basket and the drawer just need a quick clean afterwards, no fuss at all.

My impression of air fryers is that they basically give the same result as a fan oven except there's a lot more faffing around and cleaning involved, plus you have to spray oil on everything. I'd file them away with sandwich toasters as things that seem like a great idea but actually won't get used.
There is absolutely nothing worse than having to clean an oven, so anything that can fit in the sink wins.

Pretty much spot on about results, but go in the dishwasher. I won't have one because storage space (proper fyer takes that) , but used one a lot in my last job and they have their place. Plus they get hot a lot faster.

How do you measure such a tiny amount out - didn't know you could get teaspoons in such tiny increments. Would probably need those dodgy drugs scales to do it properly. :hmm:
You can readily get 1/8 teaspoon measures, they’re included with most nested sets of measuring spoons, so half one of those. Alternatively what I often do for tiny measurements is flip a teaspoon around and use the end of the handle as a tiny trowel to dig out a lil bit of food colour powder, or whatever…

Always happy to discuss "Fakeaway" cooking in particular as I am under no illusion that the dishes I cook are authentically from any particular region - but definitely taste authentic in terms of takeaways and restaurants I have visited in the UK, so perhaps a specific Fakeaway cooking and recipes thread covering multiple cuisines might be a goer.
I’m doing Saturday night fakeaway tonight, that’s what the char sui was being prepped for. Will be serving up beef satay (using Jimmys), egg fried rice, pork char Sui and extra peanut satay dipping sauce (made with Yeos satay sauce) because the flavour is awesome.

Sandwich toasters are amazing. How else do you achieve those crispy edges and fillings that are hotter than the sun?!

I wrecked ours and instead of just buying another one I went for one of those fancy grill plate ones that do baguettes etc. Absolute bullshit, worst mistake ever. Nothing is molten or crispy.

I need to sneak it out, replace it and hope Mr Looby never notices my expensive mistake.

I wrecked ours and instead of just buying another one I went for one of those fancy grill plate ones that do baguettes etc. Absolute bullshit, worst mistake ever. Nothing is molten or crispy.
I've not used my sandwich toaster for ages. Have a george forman type grill thing - again, not used in years because it's a pain in the arse to clean. It sits in it's original box on the kitchen floor, with the food processor on top.

I've not used my sandwich toaster for ages. Have a george forman type grill thing - again, not used in years because it's a pain in the arse to clean. It sits in it's original box on the kitchen floor, with the food processor on top.

I remember them in various shared houses. Horrible things that nobody cleaned, so would have a pool of fat around the drip tray, which wasn't attached for some reason.

The one I have is a bit too small for two people size portions. Ok for whizzing up a meal for one though or small side dishes.

Tip for cleaning a George Forman grill ..

Get kitchen paper...2 to 4 sheets depending on how messy grill is. Sit the sheets on top of each other. Soak them under the tap quickly.. Lay the 4 layers on the George F grill while its still warm after use. Close the grill.
Leave for a minute.
When you cone back to it everything will wipe off easily.
Then once its clean use a dettol wipe to give it a final anti bac clean.
For very stubborn stuff, dip the kitchen paper layers into warm sudsy water and do as above.
No scrubbing. Easy.

:snarl: i love my George Foreman grill
They are useful, but they just too much faff to clean. Think I only used it dozen or so times when I first bought it about ten years back. Granted, that's about 10 more uses than the breville sandwich toaster has even had. :oops:

I bought a block of edam the other day as it happens. But I can't be arsed to excavate the toaster from the back of the cupboard so I'll think about wanting one again in about six months.

I love toasted cheese sandwiches and melting edam makes for a great toastie. It also has excellent stretchiness and entertainment value. Two stretchy bits today went to 14 inches 😁

I love toasted cheese sandwiches and melting edam makes for a great toastie. It also has excellent stretchiness and entertainment value. Two stretchy bits today went to 14 inches 😁
It's donkeys years since I've had cheese on toast, but remember that it was great with that. Had to let it char a bit too give it some flavour though.

I made airfryer roast potatoes yesterday, which turned out surprisingly great. parboiled them 10 mins then drain, oil and salt into pan and shake with lid on, just as I would for oven roast potatoes. Then into the airfryer at 170C for just 15 mins, and turn over for another 15 mins at 160C to finish.

Proper crispy roasties with soft fluffy inners - I should’ve taken a photo! The cooking probably took less than half the electricity running the big oven would have taken. Apart from anything else, there’s zero warm up time on the airfryer. What I mean is that first 15 mins at 170C begins from cold, whereas I’d run my fan oven ten mins to get to temp before putting food into it.

I have discovered that lots of frozen food can be cooked really quickly in the air fryer.
I've cooked croquettes, chickeh burgers, veggie burgers, sausage rolls, frozen vol au vent cases, obvs frozen chips, frozen roast potatoes..
But also those ready to bake rolls and croissants.
And I've made muffins in cases 6 at a time.
Mini pizzas either frozen or home made.
Not cooked raw meat yet but I would think it's definitely something I'd do ... I would see chicken wings and drumsticks, done like kfc with a coating, as a possibility once the basket it lined with tin foil.

I have discovered that lots of frozen food can be cooked really quickly in the air fryer.
I've cooked croquettes, chickeh burgers, veggie burgers, sausage rolls, frozen vol au vent cases, obvs frozen chips, frozen roast potatoes..
But also those ready to bake rolls and croissants.
And I've made muffins in cases 6 at a time.
Mini pizzas either frozen or home made.
Not cooked raw meat yet but I would think it's definitely something I'd do ... I would see chicken wings and drumsticks, done like kfc with a coating, as a possibility once the basket it lined with tin foil.
You might find the coating gets blown off the chicken. The breeze inside an airfryer seems to be way windier than in a fan oven.

One of the things I use mine for is reheating anything which has been pan fried or oven cooked. It seems to warm things quick without drying them out too much, unlike the fan oven.

Back
Top Bottom