Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air Canada Boeing 767 returning to Madrid after landing gear fell off & entered engines.

Must be really shit for the passengers
Yeah imagine circling for three hours (so far!) burning fuel. I would be shitting it. I expect there must be a good few hours more fuel to burn off. Only positive is they can at least be as prepared as possible on the ground.

Yeah imagine circling for three hours (so far!) burning fuel. I would be shitting it. I expect there must be a good few hours more fuel to burn off. Only positive is they can at least be as prepared as possible on the ground.

They can dump fuel.

Blimey, I didn't know that, how bonkers.
Dumping fuel is for relieving the weight difference between max takeoff weight and max landing weight, not - as many people think - to get rid of an explosion or fire risk.

If it were a full emergency and immediate landing was required, they would just land overweight. It might damage the aircraft but is unlikely to result in catastrophic failure.

You have to be at a certain minimum altitude to be allowed to dump fuel anyway, and as the flight only has one working engine it might be safer to circle around to burn it off than to have to climb to the required altitude.

Dumping fuel is for relieving the weight difference between max takeoff weight and max landing weight, not - as many people think - to get rid of an explosion or fire risk.

If it were a full emergency and immediate landing was required, they would just land overweight. It might damage the aircraft but is unlikely to result in catastrophic failure.

Not always, there was a case in the news a couple of weeks ago.

However, if an airplane encounters a technical problem or passenger medical issue and needs to make an emergency landing early in a flight, they won't have had a chance to burn enough fuel to reduce the weight below the maximum. This means the flight crew has to quickly get rid of excess weight and the easiest way to do that is by dumping fuel.

That was the course of action chosen by the pilots of Delta Flight 89 on Tuesday after engine problems forced them to make an emergency landing back at Los Angeles International Airport moments after the wide-body Boeing 777 took off for Shanghai loaded with fuel for the long-haul journey.

Back
Top Bottom