Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Advieh Rice spice blend

Without knowing what it tastes like it's hard to say but I'd probably try it in some sort of curry. Sauté an onion or two and some garlic, add your spice blend and fry it off a bit, add whatever main ingredient you fancy (aubergine?), cook for a while, then simmer it with coconut milk or tomatoes, or stock ... etc

Last edited:
Except that I want it in rice, and all the suggestions so far aren't funny or helping.

Edit to add: Spy's just made an actual suggestion so not him ;)
my suggestion was a serious one - chop up your sweet potato, roll the pieces in this lovely mix, pop in oven for a bit, remove and enjoy.

Why not use it to flavour fried rice? It's designed for rice, you want rice, seems a good solution.

oh, i ignored the thing you didn't say until after i'd posted. :facepalm: i can hardly be accused of ignoring what you've said before you said it.

e2a: i still think this stuff would work well with sweet potatoes, but if you're going to use it on rice the the way it'd work would no doubt be the same as pilau rice seasoning, which you can just put in the water as you cook the rice.

Why not use it to flavour fried rice? It's designed for rice, you want rice, seems a good solution.
Perhaps I didn't explain it properly, although polly seemed to get it immediately. I want suggestions for something to go WITH the rice. Doesn't matter now anyway cos polly posted that link which is perfect.

not at all, i'm very interested by the way you've chopped and changed what you want to do with this spice mix from your original question to using it in rice to using it in something to go with rice.
It's a rice blend. It's for rice. I didn't think that needed emphasis, somehow.

Albaloo polo would seem the obvous suggestion, but I'm a little wary to suggest it now... :hmm:

(other polos are available, and many would do as well)

On the op... er... Anything vaguely middle eastern by the looks of it. You can wade through the countless gigabytes of Ottolenghi Sunday supplement stuff on the guardian website.

I also thought this was about alternatives to rice

I want to get some of this from that spice place I mentioned, but I have no idea what to have with it.

Any ideas chaps?

Advieh For Sale | Buy Advieh Rice Seasoning Blend

That looks interesting - might get some and experiment.

The background picture on the page reminds me that I should have a sniff of the jar of star anise I keep in the cupboard. Never use the stuff in cooking, but keep an in-date jar of them because they smell fantastic - the intense aniseed hit you get when you open the jar is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom