Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Actions against the policing bill

Not got much first hand experience, think it comes out of the IWW, was the UK version of the Incarcerated Workers Organising Committee but then re-branded: ABOUT | PSN

As far as football fan/Kill the Bill stuff goes, this seems really clear and useful - was thinking of putting it in the ESL thread but it was written a few weeks back:

Short(ish) answer is: dunno, I'm on some of their mailing lists but I'm not actually a member and certainly wasn't involved in making this decision.

Slightly longer answer: I suppose I can see how it makes sense, from a maintaining the pressure perspective, to have different events on successive weekends that people can join in with or not as they see fit? I'm sure that there'll be ACORN members out this weekend, and indeed probably non-ACORN members out on the 9th?

Short(ish) answer is: dunno, I'm on some of their mailing lists but I'm not actually a member and certainly wasn't involved in making this decision.

Slightly longer answer: I suppose I can see how it makes sense, from a maintaining the pressure perspective, to have different events on successive weekends that people can join in with or not as they see fit? I'm sure that there'll be ACORN members out this weekend, and indeed probably non-ACORN members out on the 9th?

Soz the question wasn't really directed at you! I'm also on their mailing lists but sceptical of their "growth at all costs" strategy and manner in which they've coopted local, already established campaigns and taken credit after that campaign succeeds.

One for another thread maybe!

Soz the question wasn't really directed at you! I'm also on their mailing lists but sceptical of their "growth at all costs" strategy and manner in which they've coopted local, already established campaigns and taken credit after that campaign succeeds.

One for another thread maybe!

ACORN are well dodgy. But their dodgy doings have been in the US only so far, by the look of it (or as far as we currently know). They operate like a dodgy business, exploiting employees in the same way. The ACG article in Stormy Petrel that has been mentioned is worth reading, it's very detailed.

Last edited:
As far as football fan/Kill the Bill stuff goes, this seems really clear and useful - was thinking of putting it in the ESL thread but it was written a few weeks back:
Old Bill have always used higher level tactics against football fans first. Containments, horses you name it for every time a tactic is used at a protest or demonstration it’s used 50 times at football. And almost no one ( especially on the left- with a tiny number of exceptions some linked to this site) ever gave the tiniest of fucks.

Old Bill have always used higher level tactics against football fans first. Containments, horses you name it for every time a tactic is used at a protest or demonstration it’s used 50 times at football. And almost no one ( especially on the left- with a tiny number of exceptions some linked to this site) ever gave the tiniest of fucks.

True. Sadly.

Just ordered! :D
I was going to say that if no-one else can help out I might be able to take some crappy phone pictures and upload them, but I see my viral marketing has been successful. #influencer
Anyway, super short notice, but if anyone wants to go to any online things tonight, there's at least two online things happening this evening:
IWGB meeting:

Sisters Uncut rally:

For anyone in London on Saturday morning, this sounds good, if you don't mind a bit of walking:

Where are we meeting? 11am at the entrance to Buckingham Palace at the end of The Mall.

What are we doing? We will begin with a protest at Buckingham Palace in solidarity with UVW’s members at the Royal Parks campaigning for an end to outsourcing. From there we will be marching to Shaftesbury Avenue for another protest in solidarity with UVW’s members in dispute at Sage Nursing Home in a fight for £12 an hour. After that we will be marching back to join the main Kill the Bill mobilisation in Trafalgar Square at 12pm.

It's very powerful to me to be involved with a movement led by my peers (I'm 33). When I was a teenager i felt like I was the only person who was interested in politics as there was such a general malaise among my age group. It's edifying to see that there were not only other people my age out there feeling the same things, but that the conditions we grew up in have only made us more radical.

I've been to a lot of protests throughout my life but the feeling of the blm and kill the bill protests is different. To see the majority of people are young and unaffiliated with traditional, often factional, organisations gives me a lot of hope for a truly powerful solidarity movement.

Good turnout in London today. I can't believe how much I missed going round with a 35mm lens, f8 and be there, I'm still buzzing.

This guy was doing the Lord's work, following the blue vests around, who pointedly avoided engaging in their usual friendly banter with him and pretended he wasn't there.

A5645734-7251-49F3-A29C-771943E108FE.jpeg

Last edited:
There was a protest in Luton today.

Big bloke with a shaved head on megaphone addressing a small crowd. Some bloke walking past shouted 'fuck off hippy' :facepalm: :D

There was a protest in Luton today.

Big bloke with a shaved head on megaphone addressing a small crowd. Some bloke walking past shouted 'fuck off hippy' :facepalm: :D

Back
Top Bottom