Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A third of food is mis-labeled

This must be the stuff :-
Phenolphthalein was previously used as a laxative but is no longer authorised for sale in the UK as it may cause cancer.
Sibutramine was previously used to treat obesity but no longer licensed due to its association with an increased risk of cardiovascular side effects such as heart attack and stroke.
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinform...afetyupdates/Allherbalsafetyupdates/CON143806

I remember using Phenolphthalein when I worked in a chemistry lab for something - some sort of titration indicator ?

Yes, as above.....
Phenolphathalein *was* the 'active' ingredient is ex-lax, if I remember correctly. It certainly featured (at a very low dose) in some home-made laxative products......which worked very well.

tbf even when it is labelled it can still be bullshit, take for instance the industry of "label-friendly ingredients" that means you can manufacture any old crap for your food product and just give it a nice name.

One of my friends worked in Greece for a couple of years and her mate who ran the local kebab shop used to take the doner off the spit and just put it on the floor overnight because it didn't fit in the fridge :eek:

Back
Top Bottom