Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Theory Reading List

Any "must haves" from likes of Althusser, Adorno, Marcuse, Laclau etc.?

I'd be tempted to stick Bourdieu's Distinction there, but as I've not exactly read it cover to cover it'd be a bit disingenuous!

Any pomo stuff make it into a shortlist?

3621358.jpg

Clearly a revolutionary subtext to the title there too.

Any "must haves" from likes of Althusser, Adorno, Marcuse, Laclau etc.?

I'd be tempted to stick Bourdieu's Distinction there, but as I've not exactly read it cover to cover it'd be a bit disingenuous!
Well, One Dimensional Man (Marcuse) is a must for wider reading, but it's not going on my daughters' capsule shelf. Adorno not so much, not because I don't like his ideas, but because I think you're better with posthumous collections of essays like "The Culture Industry". (But he's wrong about jazz).

Well, One Dimensional Man (Marcuse) is a must for wider reading, but it's not going on my daughters' capsule shelf. Adorno not so much, not because I don't like his ideas, but because I think you're better with posthumous collections of essays like "The Culture Industry". (But he's wrong about jazz).

'Wrong' meaning a racist cunt?

Have you read Anti-Music: Jazz and Racial Blackness in German Thought Between the Wars by Mark Christian Thompson? There's a chapter that makes clear that Adorno's understanding of what jazz was was based on a very limited understanding centred on a few shitty german bands. Like understanding folk or country music through listening to post-adge wurzels (interesting on the nazi adoption of jazz as well - rather than the usual swing kids liked it, nazis must be against etc narrative). This, of course, throws the whole idea of culture industry into serious doubt.

(Can do you a copy if you like.)

Have you read Anti-Music: Jazz and Racial Blackness in German Thought Between the Wars by Mark Christian Thompson? There's a chapter that makes clear that Adorno's understanding of what jazz was was based on a very limited understanding centred on a few shitty german bands. Like understanding folk or country music through listening to post-adge wurzels (interesting on the nazi adoption of jazz as well - rather than the usual swing kids liked it, nazis must be against etc narrative). This, of course, throws the whole idea of culture industry into serious doubt.

No, I've not read that. I didn't know of it. Although I do have Kafka's Blues on my to buy list, after reading a review that intrigued me.

Ben Watson inevitably goes into this quite a lot in his "Adorno For Revolutionaries". It's "jazz" as a shorthand for the worst aspects of the "culture industry". Not proper marxist jazz like what Watson likes.

(Also the British Union of Fascists had some of its own jazz bands.)

I think it has. I lent my copy to my elder daughter, who loved it.

I wish they'd repeat the TV series. (I'd like to have it on DVD, although I understand the copyrights needed for all the images used makes that unlikely).
Kenneth Clark's Civilisation is available on DVD and was on iPlayer recently, so I don't think that can be too much of an obstacle. I think it's possible that the TV series just hasn't held up very well.

Kenneth Clark's Civilisation is available on DVD and was on iPlayer recently, so I don't think that can be too much of an obstacle. I think it's possible that the TV series just hasn't held up very well.
The Berger makes use of a lot of popular culture images, though: adverts and TV. Civilisation doesn't: it's all statues, cathedrals and art galleries.

You can be racist as long as we like you.

:rolleyes:

Capital vol 1
Always put it off, and still haven't finished it, but definitely feel more like I understand some deep fundamentals of how everything works since I started reading it. The effort is rewarded. Still go with the Manifesto for snappy basics though.
Engels' Origin of the Family would also go on my essentials list, and I wish he'd got around to finishing Dialectics of Nature cos parts of that are just stunning, fer instance the Part Played by Labour in the Transition from Ape to Man.

Back
Top Bottom