Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Theory Reading List

unfinished business: the politics of class war

for many years i'd never have suggested marx but i think that the german ideology and the economic & political manuscripts of 1844 very useful - and capital turns up in all sorts of places

lefebvre's production of space and soja's postmodern geographies

Can I piggy back on this thread? I was going to start a similar one. Your "recommend a political group" thread got me thinking: my two daughters are now grown into adulthood, but being both dyslexic (and the younger one also being dyspraxic and with ADHD), neither of them read much unless they have to.

Obviously they've heard the old man chuntering on in his anarchist-communist-informed-by-Marx-with-a-dash-of-operaismo way, but they never finish any of the books I leave lying on their bedside tables. They're both lefty, but I fear for their millennial political souls if they don't get some solid theory in them. So I want to buy them both a set of foundational political books with which to start life away from home. Say 3 to 5 core books each.

With all the will in the world, neither is going to read Capital vol 1, let alone vols 2 or 3. So what is essential as well as readable?

I've been rolling ideas around in my head, but some of the books I valued in past decades I haven't read for decades either and can't decide if I still think them worthy of a capsule leftist bookshelf.

So if it's alright with chilango, I'd like your suggestions for that project too. Thanks.

A Capsule Lefty Bookshelf For My Dyslexic Adult Daughters.

Can I piggy back on this thread? I was going to start a similar one. Your "recommend a political group" thread got me thinking: my two daughters are now grown into adulthood, but being both dyslexic (and the younger one also being dyspraxic and with ADHD), neither of them read much unless they have to.

Obviously they've heard the old man chuntering on in his anarchist-communist-informed-by-Marx-with-a-dash-of-operaismo way, but they never finish any of the books I leave lying on their bedside tables. They're both lefty, but I fear for their millennial political souls if they don't get some solid theory in them. So I want to buy them both a set of foundational political books with which to start life away from home. Say 3 to 5 core books each.

With all the will in the world, neither is going to read Capital vol 1, let alone vols 2 or 3. So what is essential as well as readable?

I've been rolling ideas around in my head, but some of the books I valued in past decades I haven't read for decades either and can't decide if I still think them worthy of a capsule leftist bookshelf.

So if it's alright with chilango, I'd like your suggestions for that project too. Thanks.

A Capsule Lefty Bookshelf For My Dyslexic Adult Daughters.
Yeah! You've captured the spirit of the thread that my OP failed somewhat miserably to convey!

For example:

Guy Debord - Society of the Spectacle (the seminal)

Vs

Raoul Vaneigem - Revolution of Everyday Life (the readable)

Both would be overkill.

I know it's not really theory but someone needs to do a sort of popular re-edit of The Making of the English Working Class. About 60% of it is immensely readable and about 40% of it is as dry as fuck (and often engaged in academic debates of the day) and would put off most casual readers.

I guess I suggest it because I think most people would learn more theory from MOTEWC than they would from most theory books. I know I did.

I haven't read it, but I do like some of his writing. Is it Core Collection material?
I don't know, it helped me into thinking more about a lot of ideas I'd ignored when younger as 'more of that theory crap', doing so via the medium of popular culture, (sci fi films and le guin etc) and relevant critique. And he had style to his writing.

e2a Verso bod blurb:

'It publishes short, intelligent polemics on politics and culture, packing a lot of punch into about 80 pages and they are masterclasses in hhow supposedly tough theory can be made accessible and help us to understand society. The latest of these is Capitalist Realism by leading radical blogger Mark Fisher who has been blogging under the name k-punk for the past few years. It's a sharp analysis of the post-ideological malaise that suggests that the economics and politics of neo-liberalism are givens rather than constructions. "It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism", Fisher spits, and his book takes in film, Baudrillard, Kurt Cobain, science fiction, mental health, bureacracy and economics'

In all seriousness I'm defo keeping an eye on this thread as I read a fair bit but hardly ever theory, I just give up and pick up some fiction instead. :oops:

Cleavers reading capital politically was one of the first really influential, readable theory books I read. But to be honest if we are sticking to five books it would have to be capital vol 1 rather than cleaver .

Cleavers reading capital politically was one of the first really influential, readable theory books I read. But to be honest if we are sticking to five books it would have to be capital vol 1 rather than cleaver .
It's great but not an easy read, and isn't really stand-alone. You kinda need to know Capital vol 1.

Back
Top Bottom