Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Jane McAlevey thread

hitmouse

so defeated, thinks it's funny
So, having now got around to reading No Shortcuts, I've been thinking about it a bit. I'm quite interested in critiques of her work, precisely because it is good and worth taking seriously. Or good critiques, anyway, I dunno if anyone's written a rebuttal along the lines of "actually I think it's really good when unions sign sweetheart deals with the bosses and focus on marching workers around to create a media spectacle without building any lasting power" but if so that's not what I'm looking for here.

So, after looking around a bit, this would be my short "critical perspectives on McAleveyism" reading list:

(Also related:
Leadership is not governance )

And, perhaps most in-depth, from Kim Moody of Labour Notes:
Reversing the “Model”: Thoughts on Jane McAlevey – Spectre Journal (sort of subscriber-walled but you should be able to get around it by messing around with your browser, or if not here's a copypasted version)
Would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on those critiques - do they make good points? Are they just impractical ultra-left carping, or what? If anyone wants a tl;dr summary, the two main points that seemed convincing to me are 1) she does tend to look at things from a full-time external organiser's position rather than from a shop steward's or similar, and 2) she places a lot of emphasis on identifying and recruiting organic leaders who have influence in the workplace, but if you just rely on these figures, then you run the risk that an intelligent management will also be identifying these people and making it a priority to buy them off, which leaves you with a problem. But if you have the time, then I'd say it is worth reading some or all of the full articles to make up your own mind.
Am also interested in more general discussions of her influence - for instance, how far is Unite's current strategy under the new Graham leadership "McAleveyist", and how far is it different? And are the differences for better or for worse, etc.

Good thread. As a semi-lurker was hoping for a bit more discussion, but I'll take a bite.

The articles you posted (have only read some) are mostly quite reasoned imo, and I don't think criticism of the McAlevey model is ultra-leftist as it stems from practical considerations. You are right to bring it up as a point though, as within union struggles and organising ultra-leftism can often be factional and a hindrance to connecting the dots within a varied workplace of people on completly different levels of political consciousness and engagement.

Some months ago I attended an online series of participative workshops provided by her and her org, which had a vast array of ppl and groups across the globe involved. This was good to see, and great to hear inputs from such a varied audience interested in maximising their campaigns and TU density. I dropped out half way through because of other commitments, but also because of some uneasiness with how I felt the course was going, and concurrently was the same time I read some of the articles above.

I think everyone on the left is in agreement, whether practically or theoretically, that TU density needs to increase in all areas alongside finding old and new ways to increase leverage, and create strike ready workplaces for critical moments. What I found with the training was a massive over-reliance on targeting 'organic' leaders in the workplace, who at the outset may be indifferent or even hostile to unions, but focusing on getting them onside due to their influence over others. That isn't always a bad strategy, but each workplace can be different and contingent on many factors. If there is a direct threat to an organic leader they may well see the wider benefit of organising their fellow workers and coming on board with a union to do the right thing, or possibly do the opposite as they often have a direct line with management. I've witnessed first hand in how such leaders, who are often important cogs within a company, cause a fuss for management by joining a union only to peel back and sell-out their fellow workers for a newly created 'HR position' or other pay-offs. What I found jarring about the workshops was how already converted, and committed, members of a union were downplayed due to their perceived lack of influence/power within the workplace. My idea of deep organising would be to work alongside such people to gain and give confidence, to get their colleagues on board, rather than going straight to the top in giving power to an influential but singular worker who due to their position may simply be bought off and look after number one. It is contextual based on the situation of course, and sometimes you need quick and important wins, but positing the McAlevey strategy as a general schema (of 'deep organising'), can often be its own high-risk shortcut, and does seem like a strategy concocted by outside full-time organisers rather than focusing and creating a shop steward network.

Another criticism I have is how the targeting of leaders within a migrant workforce can have unintended bad consequences. As an example, a meat factory had a migrant workforce split along various ethnicities, of older and newer migrants. Leaders of the oldest ethnicity were targeted and recruited, alongside the other ethnicities. However these older leaders were also the same people who targeted other migrants for abuse, unofficially condoned and rewarded by management. The leaders of the newer ethnic groups were quite dedicated and heroic because they had much less to lose. The campaign fell. apart because a useless trade union official put all his trust in the oldest 'most respected' Workers.

Ooh, sorry I missed this first time round.

No Shortcuts is the closest I've come to actually reading an honest to goodness book for some time, and have likewise been interested in analysis from both positive and critical positions.

Will have to catch up when I'm not on my phone :)

Good thread. As a semi-lurker was hoping for a bit more discussion, but I'll take a bite.

Another criticism I have is how the targeting of leaders within a migrant workforce can have unintended bad consequences. As an example, a meat factory had a migrant workforce split along various ethnicities, of older and newer migrants. Leaders of the oldest ethnicity were targeted and recruited, alongside the other ethnicities. However these older leaders were also the same people who targeted other migrants for abuse, unofficially condoned and rewarded by management. The leaders of the newer ethnic groups were quite dedicated and heroic because they had much less to lose. The campaign fell. apart because a useless trade union official put all his trust in the oldest 'most respected' Workers.
Have you read Class Power on Zero Hours, btw? Your post sounds like it could be describing something from that.

Another entry for the list:

had anyone read this or are familiar with the author? Looks interesting, just ordered a copy of it myself.

had anyone read this or are familiar with the author? Looks interesting, just ordered a copy of it myself.

I haven't read it, here's a big review of it though:

Have now started reading this, so will hopefully have opinions about it soon.

Have started reading the Joe Burns book on class struggle unionism mentioned above, although annoyingly I can now not really remember what was said in that podcast interview. Don't think he mentions McAlevey by name but think there is quite a strong implied critique there. Would be interesting to map out the different approaches and areas emphasised by different people writing on this stuff. Speaking of which, here's another:

Think this is the appropriate thread for this review:

Started reading Our Trade Unions by Nigel Flanagan, which is perhaps the most explicitly McAlevey-backlash book I've seen:
Apparently the author's CPB, which I wouldn't necessarily have guessed from looking at the book but I don't really know that much about the CPB, looking round the publisher's site it makes a bit more sense though. Also seems like he's good mates with Roger McKenzie, fwiw?

Started reading Our Trade Unions by Nigel Flanagan, which is perhaps the most explicitly McAlevey-backlash book I've seen:
Apparently the author's CPB, which I wouldn't necessarily have guessed from looking at the book but I don't really know that much about the CPB, looking round the publisher's site it makes a bit more sense though. Also seems like he's good mates with Roger McKenzie, fwiw?

1995 called and want their front cover graphic back.

as vanguardists probably lean towards a centralised union bureaucracy and less keen on (organic) upstarts rocking the boat ? im not going to read it to find out so a total guess will have to do

as vanguardists probably lean towards a centralised union bureaucracy and less keen on (organic) upstarts rocking the boat ? im not going to read it to find out so a total guess will have to do
That's what I meant by "I wouldn't have guessed it from looking at the book", from what I've seen of it he seems very anti-paid staff and more rank-and-file focused, which isn't what I would've expected from that crowd. Shame that he's not called Jane Flanagan, anyway.

Finished reading Our Trade Unions. Lots to think about in there, lots to disagree with as well. I appreciate the point about how we should be learning from trade unions in Kenya, Morocco and India as much as from the US, though. Interesting to see someone being relatively complimentary about Unison as opposed to Unite, I think he's definitely wrong about at least some of that though.

If anyone's interested in reading Class Struggle Unionism by Joe Burns, the ebook is currently free:
Yoink! :thumbs:

(Not that I'll ever bloody read any of these... With my flavour of ADHD, a bookshelf performs the same role as the veg box in a fridge - the place where good intentions go to die :oops: :D )

Back
Top Bottom