Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Ghost Story for Christmas - Mark Gatiss

A bad thing.
I didn't like it at all. Which is a ahame because I am a fan of Mr Gatiss.
It just didn't work for me.

It seems a shame to use it to mean a bad thing, bit like "gay"? Gash should be reclaimed I say. ;)

There's almost certainly a thread already on this exact subject.

Quite an extensive article (PDF) on the use of tuppence. The internets are frankly incredible nowadays.

"Snatch," "Hole," or "Honey-pot"? Semantic Categories and the Problem of Nonspecificity in Female Genital Slang.)

"FGTs contained both explicit (e.g., tuppence, thruppeny bit, Mrs Penny), and implicit (fur purse, pocket book) references to money. In most terms, the amount of money was very small, suggesting reference to money rather than to value. Many FGTs not coded with this category (e.g., fish, lettuce, quiff) have, historically, meant money (Wentworth &. Flexner, 1975), and many have simultaneously meant prostitute--Green's (1999) money category is identified as the money-maker. These terms suggest women's worth and value to be in their genitalia, and commodify the genitalia as objects to be purchased. Indeed, commodity was a sixteenth century British term, now obsolete, for the genital area (McConville & Shearlaw, 1984)."

My bold.

I'm not looking up gash, I'm on a work laptop. :oops:

I think gash is just what it sounds like - a ripped open wound - it's not particularly pleasant and there is violence implicit.

HOWEVER - although I find the origin and etymology of such terms interesting, I do not get too hung up on it, unless the term explicity still carries meaning or intent referring to sexual violence or something really derogatory - I think a lot of these terms are less potent than they used to be. I don't like the word gash at all, yet some more archaic terms that might have been more offensive in their day almost seem twee or even cute now. Intent is a massive part of it.

I think gash is just what it sounds like - a ripped open wound - it's not particularly pleasant and there is violence implicit.

HOWEVER - although I find the origin and etymology of such terms interesting, I do not get too hung up on it, unless the term explicity still carries meaning or intent referring to sexual violence or something really derogatory - I think a lot of these terms are less potent than they used to be. I don't like the word gash at all, yet some more archaic terms that might have been more offensive in their day almost seem twee or even cute now. Intent is a massive part of it.

I agree, I am repulsed by it as a word, which seems to be its poetic intent?!

I've just joined the English Language and Usage site on the back of this word though, and that looks like a great resource for the etymology of words like this.:cool:

I agree, I am repulsed by it as a word, which seems to be its poetic intent?!

I've just joined the English Language and Usage site on the back of this word though, and that looks like a great resource for the etymology of words like this.:cool:

ETA: Poetic intent of a violent kinda word I mean, not how Mrs Miggins Miggins used it, though I have heard that usage before: "What a load of gash...." especially, meaning shit.

Will it make me cry? (I recently cried at Eastenders for scale)

Yeah probably - I'd settle in with a mug of hot chocolate and some tissues to watch it. Or put off watching it if you aren't wanting that sort of thing right now - it can wait for another time.

I once got Mark Gatiss' phone number off him at a party, and then called him a few weeks later to get a quote off him for an article I was writing, about celebrities' favourite Christmas presents.

I woke him up, but he was very gracious and polite and answered my question, so I've always had a lot of time for him as a decent chap who is patient with upstart journos, and I have watched his career over the years since then with some shared pride, as he's done very well for himself in an area where he's a total fanboy, so I imagine he's like a pig in shit.

Haven't seen this latest one, so can't comment. But at least we're off fannies now.

It is a sad story but I just thought there was no sense to how the story played out. I mean why then? Why did all it all start happening at that moment and in the way it did? It just hang didn't together for me at all.

I once got Mark Gatiss' phone number off him at a party, and then called him a few weeks later to get a quote off him for an article I was writing, about celebrities' favourite Christmas presents.

I woke him up, but he was very gracious and polite and answered my question, so I've always had a lot of time for him as a decent chap who is patient with upstart journos, and I have watched his career over the years since then with some shared pride, as he's done very well for himself in an area where he's a total fanboy, so I imagine he's like a pig in shit.

Haven't seen this latest one, so can't comment. But at least we're off fannies now.
I think he's great usually. All of the League chaps are very good and make things that usually really appeal to me. I've rewatched all the episodes of Inside Number 9 over the last few weeks and while one or two are weaker, on the whole, they are bloody brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom