Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

6music essential albums: Music for the Jilted Generation

paolo

Anyone listening?

Possibly one of the best albums I've ever bought. A cliche term I know, but for me it was pivotal. Things changed in my life and Jilted was the catalyst.

Interesting hearing Howlett's recollections of how it came together and how he feels about it.

My opinion of the Prodigy back then was always that they were a watered down version of proper rave music. They did open up the genre to a load of people who wouldn't have necessarily have heard it but it ends there really.

Prodigy were born out of the rave scene and then took things their own way. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Many just had them down as only ever being a one album crossover (Experience) from the toytown era.

Jilted is an amazing album, still play it all the time and it evokes memories of raving and just finishing 6th form and going to Uni back then, plus the whole atmosphere around the time of the CJB.

Cover art?
yup
Prodigy were born out of the rave scene and then took things their own way. Nothing wrong with that IMO. Many just had them down as only ever being a one album crossover (Experience) from the toytown era.

Jilted is an amazing album, still play it all the time and it evokes memories of raving and just finishing 6th form and going to Uni back then, plus the whole atmosphere around the time of the CJB.
and yup

pic does it for me
:cool:

Cover art?

Dreadful stuff - I remember reading an interview around the time of Fat... when Liam confessed to thinking the innner sleeve art was 'really embarrasing'.

My opinion of the Prodigy back then was always that they were a watered down version of proper rave music. They did open up the genre to a load of people who wouldn't have necessarily have heard it but it ends there really.

Then you know nothing. Grew out of the local graf and hiphop crews, were among the first teche/rave acts to use breakbeats and right back from the first EP, What Evil Lurks, they had a completely unique sound, and really took the genre forward. Experience captures every major strand of 'rave' music from the early 90s (from evil Techno, thru happy Piano thru early, proto-D&B tracks like Ruff in the Jungle and the D&B remix of Charly), Jilted did stuff no one else ever did and still haven't done, not to mention being one of the finest live acts around, and laying to rest the idea you couldn't do live dance music and be interesting.

The Narcotic Suite will remind me forever of Reading 94. Everyone seemed to be playing it in the evenings there!

Dreadful stuff - I remember reading an interview around the time of Fat... when Liam confessed to thinking the innner sleeve art was 'really embarrasing'.

It really was. Even at the age of 15 or 16, with that sort of thing being my inner fantasy at the time, i was grimly aware how awful it was, IYSWIM.

arf

prodigy-jilted_generation.jpg

Oh God, I'd forgotten about that, and I was only listening to the album last week!

I was remembering, then, reading an interview with the Prodge just after, I think, One Love had been released. IIRC they put it out white label to get a buzz going because they'd been pigeonholed as a toytown techno novelty act because of Charly, so they wanted to get a more serious rep through showing what they could do.

best prodigy album was the dirt chamber sessions vol1. It's been on in my car for the last 4 months or so, glad that I thought it should be listened to again, it's a cracking album. :cool:

I always found myself rewinding and playing the last track (Claustrophobic Sting) over and over again when this album came out, didn't really care much for the other tracks.

Back
Top Bottom