Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

6 year old girl arrested in Florida

From last week. This also broke me.

Apparently it's a frequent thing in Florida to involuntarily send kids to mental health facilities, often in handcuffs. Kids as young as 2 years old apparently (and the facilities get kickbacks from the state for detaining people).

Am I mistaken, but isn’t the little girl black? This might explain why she was treated so badly.
it might. but then again the second police officer, capturing the footage, is black. obvs we don't know quite who made the call or what they said, which might have some bearing on her treatment.

When my 6 year old set fire to my car, the police and the Fire Brigade both gave him 'the talk'. However, I was also present and it was done in a fairly avuncular manner. Even when same kid was arrested for stealing car emblems (he was 13), I was called into the police station where kid sat enduring a lecture (I couldn't help noticing red eyes and a heap of tissues). I don't care for the police but I never felt they were about to take and discipline a child. However, punishment has been a 'for profit endeavour' for so long in the US that boundaries have simply vanished under a welter of ignorance, apathy and despair - facing a vast machine of punishment and discipline straight out of a Foucauldian nightmare.

That is horrific. As aware of the bystander effect as I am, I really can't imagine not intervening if I saw this. That poor kid could be scarred for life by that.

It says in the OP video 'the school security officer', I've checked half a dozen other reports, and none mention this title, maybe it's just a staff member with a tagged-on title, but whatever, it's still a school employee that called the police.

I think that means the school resource officer - a cop already assigned to that school, or sometimes more than one school.

Apparently the cop seen placing the girl in the SUV wasn't fired because "an investigation revealed that he notified his supervisor multiple times about concerns with the arrest but was never given instruction not to proceed with the prisoner transport."

It's shameful that the other cop, the one heard bragging about all the arrests he had made, was allowed near children in the first place - he apparently beat up his own 7-year-old son.

Turner, who was fired days after the arrest became national news, had worked in OPD’s Reserve Unit, which is made up of retired officers who are required to work a certain amount of hours at the agency per month and can pick up extra-duty jobs for pay.

Over the course of Turner’s 23-year tenure at OPD prior to retiring last year, he was disciplined seven times for violations of department policy that ranged from unsafe driving to a child-abuse arrest in which he was accused of injuring his 7-year-old son. He was also accused of sending threatening text messages to his ex-wife in 2009 and racial profiling, records show.

I think that means the school resource officer - a cop already assigned to that school, or sometimes more than one school.

Apparently the cop seen placing the girl in the SUV wasn't fired because "an investigation revealed that he notified his supervisor multiple times about concerns with the arrest but was never given instruction not to proceed with the prisoner transport."

It's shameful that the other cop, the one heard bragging about all the arrests he had made, was allowed near children in the first place - he apparently beat up his own 7-year-old son.

Charmer...

From last week. This also broke me.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">‘Is I going to jail?’ — This 6-year-old was held at a mental health facility for 2 days and reportedly sedated without her mother’s permission after allegedly having a ‘tantrum’ at school <a href="NowThis on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/uFPs4ECqhn</a></p>&mdash; NowThis (@nowthisnews) <a href="">February 22, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So she was a kid behaving like a kid, and the staff had her sectioned because they couldn't be arsed to do their job as teachers. They can't have it both ways. If she's a child, she was behaving childishly, which kids do in schools every day worldwide without needing to get the the police or mental health services involved, especially in such a brutal way. If she's expected to act like an adult, she's old enough to smoke, drink, choose what she eats and not be forced into unwanted or unnecessary medical treatment. There's a reason why six-year-olds need parents/guardians who are responsible for feeding, clothing and educating them. Because they're KIDS, that's why, and don't know enough to do those things on their own. Yet when their behaviour is inconvenient, people like this teacher expect them to behave like adults and criminalise them if they don't! Fucking outrageous.

Wonder if this or the tantrum thing would have happened if the girls in question had been white? Hmmmm.
I remember at my last job but one, a colleague had to leave early one day for a meeting with her daughter's teacher about the daughter's behaviour. They couldn't say what she'd actually done wrong but they didn't like her "tone", which was apparently "abrasive". They couldn't give any examples, and the mum suspected that if her daughter had been a) a boy, and b) white, it would never have come up. I'd met the daughter myself a couple of times, and she seemed very shy, so I believe her mum was right and not just being maternally protective, or biased in the daughter's favour. This woman was what you'd call firm but fair, so I don't think she'd just blindly defend her kids if they were in the wrong. Also, it did sound like the member of staff in question had a bit of a reputation for doing this sort of thing with girls in general, while letting boys get away with murder.

Fucking Hell . . . that's over 80 A WEEK!!!

How stupid of me. Basic maths error.

Made the assumption that the figures were from 2013-20 inclusive meaning 8 years. So the over 80 a week is incorrect

Redone the maths and its closer to 98 a week. Sorry. My bad.

Just under 14 a day. Sounds so much more reasonable when it's broken down like that

Wonder if this or the tantrum thing would have happened if the girls in question had been white? Hmmmm.

Going off the “more police brutality“ thread, it would seem these despicable cunts are now targeting the younger black generation with impunity. But six years old is just fuckin barbaric.

Back
Top Bottom