Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2 Weeks in Japan?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
Im thinking this maybe a good option for a wicked holiday next easter (I've got my holiday dates already, and there's plenty of time to save up still), I've also got a freind who's teaching english out there and I could crash on her floor for a couple of nights.

But what are they key places worth visiting with only 2 weeks to do it all? Obviously Tokyo, and I've heard Kyoto is pretty stunning, Im really looking for places I can indulge my photography, but I also want to try and use hostels and public transport to try and keep costs down.

Would love to hear other peoples experiences and advice?

the seto inland sea is fairly popular

you could properbly do a big tour from tokyo down to osaka (via kyoto) then bum around the eto inland sea till you reach hirosima

not necessarily. i know they do a load of overnight buss stuff

but then i have a rather distant filter on relative pricing.

but i can imagine the local tourist board has a big list of local inns that are foreigner friendly.

that combined with a rail pass might just do you for touring.

although given it's the seto inland sea you might want to fiond out about ferrys.

This is all early research tbh, its a case off will it cost me under £1500 (not inc spending money)...... flights are about 690 with virgin (i dont really wanna fly aeroflot or china air) :D

The typical route for 2 weeks would be Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hiroshima and back and that would be the most "set up" for tourists. That's probably what most people would do, especially in Spring as you have a good chance of seeing all the cherry blossoms in the temples and shrines of Kyoto. Use a JR Rail Pass for travel (google it). If you go to Kyoto at that time, be sure to pre-book accommodation though - I've seen many people arrive and leave to go stay elsewhere over the years during cherry blossom season.

If you want to go off the beaten track, I am very very keen on Tohoku, my 2nd home, and it could really do with your money right now after the tsunami - that's where I'd be going - but many people are very wary of going north due to the Fukushima incident. Hokkaido is also amazing but quite a detour! The Seto naikai (inland sea) is also absolutely stunning and one of my favourite places to bum around - island to island. If you do decide to do any of these I can make many recommendations.

I'd second Osaka - only went there for a day trip - but what a weird place..

Nagasaki is also fascinating- the museum's more low-key than Hiroshima, which in some ways makes it more brutal. I loved Japan..

Without wishing to sound like a hippie, I think more than most places the 'sights' and where you go is less important.. its more about just watching the day-to-day people & culture. Though I would also recommend the manga museum.

The typical route for 2 weeks would be Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hiroshima and back and that would be the most "set up" for tourists. That's probably what most people would do, especially in Spring as you have a good chance of seeing all the cherry blossoms in the temples and shrines of Kyoto. Use a JR Rail Pass for travel (google it). If you go to Kyoto at that time, be sure to pre-book accommodation though - I've seen many people arrive and leave to go stay elsewhere over the years during cherry blossom season.

If you want to go off the beaten track, I am very very keen on Tohoku, my 2nd home, and it could really do with your money right now after the tsunami - that's where I'd be going - but many people are very wary of going north due to the Fukushima incident. Hokkaido is also amazing but quite a detour! The Seto naikai (inland sea) is also absolutely stunning and one of my favourite places to bum around - island to island. If you do decide to do any of these I can make many recommendations.

Brilliant, Ill have a look at that for a route then..... My freind finishes her job out there totally on the 17th, and wants to go to mount fuji... she lives in shizuoka, so I need to work that into the equation....

I know what im doing at lunchtime then.

Do it! :D

Tokyo is amazing.

I'm saving up for a trip to see more of Japan, hope to go in 2015, which seems so far away right now.

The hostels are working out not that expensive, I can do flights and hostels for £850.

The rail pass is £290 :eek:

I used hostelworld last time.....

Out of the three one wasn't what we expected, but I didnt book that one, and the person who does always thinks things are good and rushes into booking stuff.

Yeah, I might look at hostels next time, because I want to go for a much longer visit.

When I went I was rather extravagant and paid a lot of money for hotels, though I didn't mind as it was a 40th birthday treat.

I am thinking of going next year but trying to work out how much I'll need for spending money/accommodation etc :hmm:

I think i worked out it'd be about £1100 (not inc spending money) for just me...

Bit scared about possibility of going alone, but japan is pretty safe i think.

I think i worked out it'd be about £1100 (not inc spending money) for just me...

Bit scared about possibility of going alone, but japan is pretty safe i think.

I'm more scared of getting stupidly lost! I get lost even in Melbourne :oops: Anyway, talked to some people who have lived there and decided to change my plans to 5 days in Kytoto and then 6 days in Tokyo. As long as I don't buy expensive meals and stay in 5 stay hotels I should be OK.

I'm more scared of getting stupidly lost! I get lost even in Melbourne :oops: Anyway, talked to some people who have lived there and decided to change my plans to 5 days in Kytoto and then 6 days in Tokyo. As long as I don't buy expensive meals and stay in 5 stay hotels I should be OK.

Have you actually booked it?

Yeah my main fear is getting lost, although I do have a quite a good sense of direction. I have an offline sat nav on my phone anyway.

Fast food will be cheap, but still pretty japanese i reckon, are you against the idea of hostelling?

Im still waiting to hear what my mum and dad are saying, I know they wanted to take the family on a big trip next year for their 30th (or 40th) wedding anniversary.... so maybe I can convince them (when I say whole family, I mean them and me :D )

Have you actually booked it?

Yeah my main fear is getting lost, although I do have a quite a good sense of direction. I have an offline sat nav on my phone anyway.

Fast food will be cheap, but still pretty japanese i reckon, are you against the idea of hostelling?

Im still waiting to hear what my mum and dad are saying, I know they wanted to take the family on a big trip next year for their 30th (or 40th) wedding anniversary.... so maybe I can convince them (when I say whole family, I mean them and me :D )

No, I'm waiting for some money to come through first. Still doing lots of research though :hmm: I'm thinking of renting one of those portable wi fi things.

I've found some OK hotels for not too much so I should be OK with that. I am full of questions about how to cab drivers and giving them directions and ordering food at places where no one speaks English. I was thinking going March-April but some selfish friends are getting married on the 4th of April next year :mad:

No, I'm waiting for some money to come through first. Still doing lots of research though :hmm: I'm thinking of renting one of those portable wi fi things.

I've found some OK hotels for not too much so I should be OK with that. I am full of questions about how to cab drivers and giving them directions and ordering food at places where no one speaks English. I was thinking going March-April but some selfish friends are getting married on the 4th of April next year :mad:

I think you'll get free wifi everywhere there tbh....

April would be my plan too..... Im just really researchig but im gonna put together somewhere cheaper to go if i cant afford it.

Back
Top Bottom