Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton is a village and local businesses need to ensure they are engaged with the local community.

At last, shame it took so long for you to wake-up to your mistake.
still not apologised for coming on to the boards and spamming us though has he... just think of the number of local and national activists on here who might with a little wired engagement have wanted to get involved or lend a hand and how they've been alienated by the manner in which this has now come across even with the begrudging admittance the tactic may not have been wise...

It would seem that LJ has been told in no uncertain terms to pull his neck in by his Splash colleagues.

If he has accepted the criticism, then it would be a welcome gesture if he would withdraw the naming and shaming on his blog: San Marino, everyone in Brixton Village, KFC, beauty shop on Atlantic... .

I have named a small number of local businesses that chose not to support Brixton Splash this year. This was not meant as a criticism and listening to feedback and general concerns we will not now be publishing a list of these business.

I understand that many small businesses and medium sized businesses have many competing demands on their resources. Brixton has some great businesses all at the heart of the community. This has become more evident as a consequence of recent debate. To those businesses who have chosen not to support Brixton Splash, we would hope that they would consider supporting the sponsoring of other local events and organisations that deal with the mentoring young people seeking to get into employment and or considering starting their own business through the many such programmes working in central Brixton.
Small businesses are a ital part of the local community and can stimulate growth and opportunities, and we urge everyone to support local traders as much as possible – especially, but not only, those who sponsor the Splash.

How to encourage and support local business are engagement in supporting local community initiatives remains an issue that we intend to return to later in the year. Thank you and do come and enjoy this years Splash.

Thanks for this Lee. I hope this is an end to the matter.

If the matter is to be returned to later in the year I hope it is done in a way that encourages local small business and offers them opportunities which they can either involve themselves or not without any sanctions.

The is a recession and austerity is hitting a lot of people hard. The cuts are continuing and those on low and middle incomes are going to be affected the most. But it is not the sole trader and small shops that are the problem it is this Tory/ LD government and there friends in the City who are the real enemy.

As you would see if you looked at some of the older threads here many of the concerns you spell out about Brixton have been discussed here. By many of the same posters who have criticised you for naming and shaming a few local business. So there could be common ground.

I note that Lee has withdrawn the offending blog post from his site. I think that is a really positive move. Well done Lee.

Encouraging further interaction between businesses and the community is a positive aim. I hope that if it is something that Lee intends to pick up and run with he will be able to do so in a manner that does not focus disproportionally on particular ethnic groups but simply on those individuals and groups of individuals who need it.

I note that Lee has withdrawn the offending blog post from his site. I think that is a really positive move. Well done Lee.

Encouraging further interaction between businesses and the community is a positive aim. I hope that if it is something that Lee intends to pick up and run with he will be able to do so in a manner that does not focus disproportionally on particular ethnic groups but simply on those individuals and groups of individuals who need it.

Indeed, that was very good of him and shows he's prepared to engage in good faith. Unlike some of the people on here.

I'm very disappointed to see Jasper has taken to posting inflammatory comments about the community here on the Brixton Blog. Far from throwing around 'crude racial stereotypes', the posters here have given Jasper excellent feedback about the impact his negative tactics were having on local traders.
Jasper said:
I find some of the silly accusations and personal comments of minority contributors, stereotypical and loaded with assumptions. If the entire threads are read that becomes apparent. I felt that one in particular on the U75 was indeed informed by a crude racial stereotype.
We have captured these comments so the local community can judge for themselves their tone and tenor . I think most people will be shocked. A significant section of the local community who form part of our core constituency are not on line so a public debate is an important aspect of further discussion
I'm curious as to what this "capturing the comments" phrase means. Could you explain?

I'm also disappointed to note that the event site is still airbrushing Pat out of its history:
The festival was the brainchild of Ros Griffiths (Social Entrepreneur) and Blacker Dread (DJ, Reggae Producer)
The question that remains outstanding - despite being asked many, many times - is this: why has Pat never been given any credit?

Everyone involved in Splash was fully aware of his contributions from the start, yet he has been repeatedly blanked over many years in his attempts to get any credit for his efforts. So why is Splash still conspiring to keep him out of its history?

I have named a small number of local businesses that chose not to support Brixton Splash this year. This was not meant as a criticism and listening to feedback and general concerns we will not now be publishing a list of these business.

I understand that many small businesses and medium sized businesses have many competing demands on their resources. Brixton has some great businesses all at the heart of the community. This has become more evident as a consequence of recent debate. To those businesses who have chosen not to support Brixton Splash, we would hope that they would consider supporting the sponsoring of other local events and organisations that deal with the mentoring young people seeking to get into employment and or considering starting their own business through the many such programmes working in central Brixton.
Small businesses are a ital part of the local community and can stimulate growth and opportunities, and we urge everyone to support local traders as much as possible – especially, but not only, those who sponsor the Splash.

How to encourage and support local business are engagement in supporting local community initiatives remains an issue that we intend to return to later in the year. Thank you and do come and enjoy this years Splash.

Thanks Lee. Where do I send the consultancy invoice? ;)

I'm very disappointed to see Jasper has taken to posting inflammatory comments about the community here on the Brixton Blog. Far from throwing around 'crude racial stereotypes', the posters here have given Jasper excellent feedback about the impact his negative tactics were having on local traders.

I'm curious as to what this "capturing the comments" phrase means. Could you explain?

I'm also disappointed to note that the event site is still airbrushing Pat out of its history:
The question that remains outstanding - despite being asked many, many times - is this: why has Pat never been given any credit?

Everyone involved in Splash was fully aware of his contributions from the start, yet he has been repeatedly blanked over many years in his attempts to get any credit for his efforts. So why is Splash still conspiring to keep him out of its history?

Are you Pats legal representative? Why hasn't Pat got in touch with BS directly if he feels so passionately about being recognized?

Why hasn't Pat got in touch with BS directly if he feels so passionately about being recognized?
He has. Repeatedly. Time and time again over several years, but he kept being ignored for reasons yet to be explained. This is the only place where he's got an answer.

Here's Pat posting about it back in 2009:
I did get my goat a bit when I watched the promo video online, with someone taking all the credit and hyping it as her idea.. .. Especially when, after putting it on my cv, I was questioned about any involvement in the first year at all, at an interview.. Made me look rather foolish, yes not hard I know . . .:D :hmm:

I would also like to know what Lee Jasper means by "a significant section of the local community who form part of our core constituency" in his BB blog comment.

Looking at Brixton Splash home page again it says the one day festival is to "celebrate the areas diversity" and "the fusion of numerous ethnic groups that now call Brixton home".

If Brixton is representative of this fusion I am part of it. Therefore I am part of this constituency.

so let me get this straight. to us he backs down in the face of criticism. to others he accuses us of some unspecified racism. he does nothing else.

what a tool.

He has. Repeatedly. Time and time again over several years, but he kept being ignored for reasons yet to be explained. This is the only place where he's got an answer.

So why are you speaking on his behalf? Everyone else has come on to this thread spoken directly with LJ and received answers.

So why are you speaking on his behalf? Everyone else has come on to this thread spoken directly with LJ and received answers.
Because he couldn't get an answer himself, because he's a friend, because I'm pissed off with the way he was treated and because I'd like to find out exactly why he has been airbrushed out of the event's history. I think it's an important issue, even if you don't.

I've always been very supportive of Brixton Splash - this site even played a small part in its creation - and I want to keep on liking and supporting it, but Jasper's making that a little hard right now.

Indeed, that was very good of him and shows he's prepared to engage in good faith. Unlike some of the people on here.

It's a pity that people cannot stand up and object to harassment when they see it in their community without being accused of having ulterior motives. I haven't seen any obvious evidence of ulterior motives on this thread be they racist, political, personal or otherwise. LJ has certainly claimed all of these and claims to have evidence of them although he repetedly refuses to respond to requests that he clarify the basis upon which he makes those accusations. Yes, there have been a small number of catty remarks but remarkably few when compared to other threads - like anyone, he just needs to accept that comes with the interweb territory and not let it distract him from his quest.

If Jasper is worried about people taking issue with his personal points of view and personal calls for action then he should present them as coming from a group. He needs to find defined and identifiable groups who share his more controversial views rather than tagging on to more broad appeal mainstream organisations like Splash and using them as a platform. Doing so just forces them to distance themselves from his remarks, rendering them personal.

Hey! Am i imagining things or did my post disappear.? I don't agree with Jasper's methodology but his findings are CORRECT! Why not 'name' business' that don't support the Splash? The Asin owned stores along Atlantic make £££££££'s a week from BLACK PATRONAGE and yet employ very few, if any, black staff. Fact.

The 'new' Brixton is , in reality very , very, very white and has no real connection with either us Brixton people that have been here for years ( that's cool!) but more importantly DOES NOT EMPLOY ANY BLACK PEOPLE! Not cool.

So, as much as LJ has pi**ed people of for having the audacity to state the very obvious, he went ahead and said it. Rather than shoot the messenger and ignore the message I suggest you all take a looooooong hard look at what's going down here. Black folks are being sidelined out of OUR town.

I can't say I've noticed that many Asian faces working behind the counters at Brixton's black-owned pattie shops.. stupid fucking point to raise.
Cant say I noticed many Asians faces buying patties from Black people-have you?! Lol! But I sure have seen hundreds of Black people buying products from Asian store owners. Agree? Ur point was waaaay more stupider(?!) than mine. PS no need to swear.

i would have thought most of these places are family run.

in fact i would have thought a lot of small businesses would have only a few members of staff probably family members meaning they wouldn't be a true reflection of the ethnic diversity of the localarea.

i would have thought most of these places are family run which would explain a lot.
Really? Are you basing this thought/assumption upon fact or stereotype? The fact is the business' which generate ££££££'s from BLACK CUSTOMERS along Atlantic Road and Electric EMPLOY Black people...But are happy to take their money. It is what it is.

Really? Are you basing this thought/assumption upon fact or stereotype? The fact is the business' which generate ££££££'s from BLACK CUSTOMERS along Atlantic Road and Electric EMPLOY Black people...But are happy to take their money. It is what it is.
( CORRECTION) Really? Are you basing this thought/assumption upon fact or stereotype? The fact is the business' which generate ££££££'s from BLACK CUSTOMERS along Atlantic Road and Electric DO NOT EMPLOY ANY BLACK PEOPLE...But are happy to take their money. It is what it is.

( CORRECTION) Really? Are you basing this thought/assumption upon fact or stereotype? The fact is the business' which generate ££££££'s from BLACK CUSTOMERS along Atlantic Road and Electric DO NOT EMPLOY ANY BLACK PEOPLE...But are happy to take their money. It is what it is.

Are you racist?

just small business dynamics. plus having been in a lot of them.
Right. Small biz dynamics?! Where the many small biz' u were involved part of your family or were you employed by other families? in I tell you what, you take a walk thru Atlaantic Rd and look at the shops- what they sell n how much they earn- and be honest with yourself. What do these men do for the local people of Brixton. Where is the problem with asking the question? I'm glad someone has finally stated the obvious. Asian traders grow very wealthy from Black support. Fact.

Right. Small biz dynamics?! Where the many small biz' u were involved part of your family or were you employed by other families? in I tell you what, you take a walk thru Atlaantic Rd and look at the shops- what they sell n how much they earn- and be honest with yourself. What do these men do for the local people of Brixton. Where is the problem with asking the question? I'm glad someone has finally stated the obvious. Asian traders grow very wealthy from Black support. Fact.

So what?

Cant say I noticed many Asians faces buying patties from Black people-have you?! Lol!

I have, as a local who's been brought up around Brixton since birth for over 30 years, I've seen plenty of people from all backgrounds frequent "black" business' here.

You and LJ are both coming across yourselves as pretty spiteful and divisive racists, your agenda is very transparent.

Back
Top Bottom