Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your revolutionary tech predictions for 2015?

coley

TBF, I don't understand a lot of what is written in the various links I have been following recently, but enough comes though to make one or two tentative predictions.
A realisation that the internal combustion engine has had its day.
An equally important realisation that fossil fuel generation has also had its day.
Though I have no doubt the vested interests involved in these predictions will attempt a savage and ruthless campaign to protect their interests,I feel it will become a 'rearguard' action at best.
Can't believe how fast the technologies involved are moving forward.

music streaming will go one step further in the portability sector of market by streaming directly to new breed of headphones.

(Actually from what I understand, this is already available but not in UK yet, but 2015 May be the year is does!) :)

Support exoskeletons for the elderly will be seen in use in the UK.

Someone does an SSD music player with all the music in the world on it already.

Warehouse/factory/car park rooftop solar becomes a significant, measurable category in UK electricity supply.

suspended animation took a big leap forward this year

http://www.newscientist.com/article...nded-between-life-and-death.html#.VKX_TtKsWd4

scale it up and soon we can chill down healthy people in cold caskets and send them on colony seedships to the nearest exoplanet

this method only lasts a few hours, for a trip to mars six months to a year in suspended animation would be useful

To get to the nearest star at 20% light takes about 20 years.

To the nearest exoplanet, I think there's one 36 light years away, again at 20% C, journey time 180 years (stopping has not been included :))

Bread that you don't have to cut yourself. You know it would already be in slices. No idea what such a thing would be called, or indeed, if it would be possible.

Support exoskeletons for the elderly will be seen in use in the UK.

Someone does an SSD music player with all the music in the world on it already.

Warehouse/factory/car park rooftop solar becomes a significant, measurable category in UK electricity supply.
1 & 3 will be definitely be on line shortly because of the rapid advances in battery technology and PV storage, as for 2:D

Driverless cars are going to be the big thing. Singapore is going to allow them on their roads and turn them into taxis on an online, Uber-like service. If enough get involved, this is going to be a big proving ground for the technology and people's acceptance of it.

There's still a long way to go yet in terms of safety, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get to experience some of the more unpleasant side effects in 2015, too. First driverless car-caused death? I hope not, of course, but it's going to happen one day and the legal aspect is going to be challenging.

this method only lasts a few hours, for a trip to mars six months to a year in suspended animation would be useful

To get to the nearest star at 20% light takes about 20 years.

To the nearest exoplanet, I think there's one 36 light years away, again at 20% C, journey time 180 years (stopping has not been included :))
we are getting there though! all big steps forward to the Frost Angel project :cool:

In what industry?

Aircraft engines!

http://www.urban75.net/forums/threa...n-plans-to-put-into-theyre-jet-engine.329159/

I had a quick hunt around on the internet for some numbers, instead I found this

(additive components = 3d printing, normal method is to use a milling machine to remove unwanted metal. This method is called subtractive manufacturing)

Equipment installation will begin in late 2014 and production of additive components will begin in 2015. By the end of 2015, the plant could have as many as 10 printing machines with the potential to grow to more than 50 printers and occupy a third of the facility at full capacity.

GE press release

http://www.geaviation.com/press/other/other_20140715.html

Maybe they will release an iPhone with a slightly bigger screen, or maybe that will be the year after.

Maybe this will be the year they finally manage to make something which continues working for more than six months after you buy it.

1 & 3 will be definitely be on line shortly because of the rapid advances in battery technology and PV storage, as for 2:D
Apparently, there are 90-some million songs. At 5MB each, thats 450TB, so either it's not this year, or they just do the last decade...

Back
Top Bottom