Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your favourite footballers growing up?

Great Uncle Bulgaria.

maxresdefault.jpg

King Kenny, Stevie Heighway, Rushy, Hanson, Sammy (He's fat he's round he's worth a million pound) Lee, Phil Neal, Terry McDermott. Clemmo, too many to list really. I even had a couple of Bluenose players who I really liked admired due to having to take my younger brother to Goodison every other week. Players like Radcliff, Pat Van Den Hauwe, Peter Reid ('s got a monkey's heed) Graeme Sharp, Sheedy (The horrible cunt), Big Nev (You had to .

As a working class kid growing up in scruffy old Merseyside in the late 70's and early 80's footballers were like gods really. I remember Rush and Dalglish coming to the pub where my mum was the manager to kick over a pile of pennies for charity and it was like the day his holiness landed at Knock shrine.

To be fair we were blessed with favourite footballers around here when I was growing up.

It wasn't until I read his book though that I realised how much I liked "Who the fuck is Mickey Quinn" :)

To watch Dalglish as a kid who liked to kick the ball against the wall was a treat though.

On Kevin Keegan "He's gone now I'll just go and try my best. I'm not trying to be Kevin Keegan, I'll just be my own man".

In no particular order:

Charlie Nicholas
Davie Provan
Eder (for one World Cup only)
Tony Morley
Laurie Cunningham
Hans Krankl
Alan Devonshire
Andy Ritchie (Morton player)

Ray Kennedy.

Never the darling of those Liverpool squads, there were always flashier players. But what a work horse, one who'd score in the semi's but leave it to others in the final. You'd always want him in your team.

First match I ever went to was when Morton beat Celtic 1-0 at Cappielow to go top of the league (or might have been a few games after they went top) - was 6 year old then, Andy Ritchie and Benny Rooney were my heroes
Always remembered the name of your old fanzine as something about the Cappielow Bugle caught my young imagination even when I couldn't find you on a map.

Back
Top Bottom