Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your experiences with UK operators abroad

Lussol

Hallo,

I am on a 100 GB for 30 pound pay as you go plan and use it since 1 year in Germany.

The cool thing is, that I can use the whole 100 GB in Germany.

Which experiences did you made with your operator abroad like Voxi or Giffgaff?

From a U.K. perspective, it doesn’t make much difference which of the main UK networks you’re on when travelling in the EU because they mainly just connect to the most available domestic network and you use as if you were at home with no roaming fees.

Outside of the EU, the Three network offer the most options for use without roaming fees for a 1 month only rolling agreement, so I’d use them if I were travelling somewhere like Brazil for a few weeks as no other network offer a ‘no roaming fees’ package there.

Other networks have non-EU ‘no roaming’ packages in select popular destinations like the USA or Australia. In general it’s always a toss up of contract commitment, availability and price. Three are the most flexible, other networks vary.

I can’t comment on non-UK networks with much authority but I’ve sometimes found the roaming speeds to be a bit slow on Three when abroad so when I’ve really needed speed I’ve just bought a domestic SIM with limited data package such as TMobile in the US, or Singtel in Singapore.

Last edited:
Google fi also looks very well for travellers;)

Did ansonsten of you got Roamingcharches of beeing to long abroad?

From a U.K. perspective, it doesn’t make much difference which of the main UK networks you’re on when travelling in the EU because they mainly just connect to the most available domestic network and you use as if you were at home with no roaming fees.

This might not be the case after 01/01/2021. Anyone coming here might want to check before using their phone or data.

This might not be the case after 01/01/2021. Anyone coming here might want to check before using their phone or data.
All four network operators here have stated they have no plans to reintroduce roaming charges

Because there's money to be made, and companies are greedy.

I'd like to be wrong.
They make most of their money on monthly line rental now over long contracts, not pennies per minute. It's a solid, steady revenue. They don't need to piss their customer base off.

All four network operators here have stated they have no plans to reintroduce roaming charges
Why? Three and Voda already have roaming agreements with more countries outside the EU than within it.

From today's New European

I never had you down as someone who would pay the slightest attention to Michael Gove.
It was this that especially caught my eye, "
The trade deal brokered on Christmas Eve does not carry over the ban on roaming charges, but does say both sides must encourage providers to have “transparent and reasonable rates”.

Government guidance tells British travellers to check with their mobile provider to see what charges they will face."

There might be no plans to change this now, but I don't expect this to last.

Google fi also looks very well for travellers;)

It's not competitively priced at all at $70/month plus you need google one membership, and you may need to pay additional 'local taxes', AND you get throttled speeds after 22GB used. For all that bother you may as well just get a local sim which would undoubtedly be cheaper, or look at roaming bolt ons to your home provider depending where you are.

I'm sure somewhere there is a use case for Google Fi, but I've honestly yet to see one.

I never had you down as someone who would pay the slightest attention to Michael Gove.

I really hope that EE and Three keep the Eu-Roaming.

You won't really be happt to pay German mobile prices

Look here

I really hope that EE and Three keep the Eu-Roaming.

You won't really be happt to pay German mobile prices

Look here

I see you play the long game but you got there in the end.

Here in Spain we have a company called Lobster which does excellent deals for expats. But their data limits wouldn't be sufficient for me

I have a Movistar deal which gives me 150 TV channels including 10 football channels and 24/7 F1 channels, all HD or UHD. I get a landline with unlimited national calls, one mobile unlimited and 20GB data, a second one with unlimited calls and 10GB data. I also get FTTH at 600MBS. For all this I pay €85 a month. It seems a good deal, unless you know differently.

Last edited:

I remember reading somewhere (maybe here?) that the various international contracts/agreements that let UK operators work without roaming charges will be expiring between 2022 and 2025 - So after that, the possibility of charges being reintroduced remains very real.

Back
Top Bottom