Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

You can now travel through central London on Crossrail!

Looks like ?spring '22 for opening. They're 50% complete on the testing.
You have to remember it's really complex having to integrate with both the west & east London rail networks.
Still weird to think late '18 was a possible opening date.

I think they’re aiming for last weekend in March to squeeze it into Q1 of the year.

When was it originally due to be finished again? I believe the concept was in germination as early as the 1930s

Looks like you'll be able to travel through in person soon - opening 24th May

I think it's just Paddington eastwards initially though.

Looks like you'll be able to travel through in person soon - opening 24th May

I think it's just Paddington eastwards initially though.

Yeah to Liverpool Street. Whoopie do. Maybe 2023 for an actual Crossrail.

Abbey Wood, actually.

I’m sure that will be a great consolation to people who want to go to Shenfield, or you know, far away places like Stratford.

They should have just rebranded parts of the DLR, Central and Piccadilly lines if they’re going to pretend to be open yet make people change twice, would have saved all the trouble.

I’m sure that will be a great consolation to people who want to go to Shenfield, or you know, far away places like Stratford.

They should have just rebranded parts of the DLR, Central and Piccadilly lines if they’re going to pretend to be open yet make people change twice, would have saved all the trouble.
Who is "they" exactly, and where have they pretended something?

Who is "they" exactly, and where have they pretended something?

TfL and in their press release, where they pretended the “line” would open, despite their own admission that there would “three separate railways”. If they didn’t want to pretend something, they should have merely announced that a component of the Elizabeth line was opening.

At least it's one step closer to launch and we get to use all* the shiny new stations. I'll definitely be using it to central London and Paddington.

*not Bond St.

At least it's one step closer to launch and we get to use all* the shiny new stations. I'll definitely be using it to central London and Paddington.

*not Bond St.
Personally I'm interested to see how much time it cuts off my journey from home to Paddington, using Crossrail instead of underground for the Farringdon-Paddington bit. (Similar for Liverpool st).

Once it gets connected up westward I will review whether it's better to change at Reading than at Paddington, when heading off on GWR routes.

Personally I'm interested to see how much time it cuts off my journey from home to Paddington, using Crossrail instead of underground for the Farringdon-Paddington bit. (Similar for Liverpool st).

Once it gets connected up westward I will review whether it's better to change at Reading than at Paddington, when heading off on GWR routes.

I'd have thought unless you're getting off before Reading, it'll always be better/quicker to get a GWR fast train to Reading or you'll be stopping at ALL the stations.

I'd have thought unless you're getting off before Reading, it'll always be better/quicker to get a GWR fast train to Reading or you'll be stopping at ALL the stations.
Yes, I expect so. Probably outweigh any benefit of avoiding the faff of changing at Paddington.

The western line of Crossrail is a game changer for the stations from Burnham inwards really I think

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this has caused you so much distress.

Well to be fair, living near Stratford and thinking that a through train to West London and to places out of that side of London without having to change multiple times just like we do it now might be nice, it is a bit of a pisser.

I've been using TFL rail so long it's lost its shine already. When we moved here in 2014 there was supposed to be a through train to Heathrow by 2018. I used to joke it wouldnt happen till 2020.

I don't recommended anyone play with any of the Elizabeth Line rule sets, because there's very real risk of being trapped at Bond Street until 2024.

Got it from Heathrow the other week and it's a great improvement on the other options. Looking forward to when it all hooks up properly at Paddington. Anyone know when that's meant to be happening?

Back
Top Bottom