Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Yara Rodrigues Fowler - left wing South London author

Brainaddict

slight system overdrive
Surprised I can't see anything about this British Brazilian author and activist here. I'm just reading 'there are more things', which features South London, radical left politics in the UK, revolutionary politics in Brazil, and is a great read. Anyone else read her? 'Stubborn Archivist' was probably better publicised but I've not got round to it yet.

I've not read anything by her but she's been unfortunate enough to be put on some ft list of people who'll be important which is probably the kiss of death for her career.

Thanks for the recommendation! "There are more things" is a great read.

The jacket really does it a disservice by describing it as "a love story the length of a life". You could describe almost any classic novel like that if you were really determined to miss the point.

Thanks for the recommendation! "There are more things" is a great read.

The jacket really does it a disservice by describing it as "a love story the length of a life". You could describe almost any classic novel like that if you were really determined to miss the point.
Yeah, unfortunately I guess that will sell better than 'a personal and political history the length of a life'. Publishers would have no idea how to sell political novels at all. They're a very small niche and I think she only gets away with it because it can be dressed up as a love story. But it is annoying.

As an aside, the other writer who sneakily got away with writing a thoroughly political novel in recent years is Vigdis Hjorth with Long Live the Post Horn. Her reputation is actually for writing about intensely personal family stuff, so she managed not to sully her reputation with what was a brilliant and entertaining denunciation of neoliberalism.

Back
Top Bottom