Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WTF! Look what they've done to the Coach & Horses/Living Bar

Here's the full, buttock-clenching write up:

What they say?
Market House Bar in Brixton will open its doors in April 2012 as a new, vibrant must-go-to venue in South London. Set on the grounds of the former Living bar, the new Market House aims to bring some speakeasy class to a new part of town with emphasis on traditional British with a modern twist.

What we say?
Brixton is rummaging through its vintage dress-up box with the opening of Market House on Coldharbour Lane. With the rising popularity speakeasy boozers popping up across town, Market House aims to bring something new to the table, changing faces from daytime Bistro to late-night bar with a 450 guest capacity. With a British food and drink focus as well as its individual take on shabby chic, the venue is certain to pull in the trendy crowd of SW and could well be on the right track to becoming a new oh-so-cool new bar in London. Bars in Brixton are developing and coming up with a fresh approach to drinking and eating in London and Market House bar should continue that theme.

To be fair, I don't think you really need pretentious marketing guff to get people interested in your new pub - simply promising to serve up decent beer and cider seems to do the trick.

Still not open at lunchtime and they are still finishing the decorating. Today they were painting the door surround.

Popped in there after the cinema on Sunday night, didn't hang around though. Was very busy so I couldn't be arsed to queue at the bar...

Probably not. Nothing really ever made me want to go in there in the past and I'm not sure that'll change now. I might go in for a pint out of curiosity sometime soon....if they do pints, that is.

Probably not. Nothing really ever made me want to go in there in the past and I'm not sure that'll change now. I might go in for a pint out of curiosity sometime soon....if they do pints, that is.

Same here. I should check it out but it just seems a bit meh to me.

Same here. I should check it out but it just seems a bit meh to me.
Agreed.

Ages ago when Isobar or whatever it was called first opened (1999?) we used to go in there after the cinema late on Monday nights cos it was one of the the few places open to get a beer at midnight. I've probably been in no more than half a dozen times since. Since then, it's never been a pub as such, always a bar - and always seemed to rely on the casual weekend crowd for business, rather than doing anything particularly interesting or unique.

I dropped in there but didn't stay for long. Not my kinda thing tbh. Too hot and sweaty, too noisy, and too Clapham. Did seem slightly better than previous incarnations though, and I'm willing to give it another chance on a more full-on evening (I'd only popped out for a quick, quiet pint really).

You are fucking useless, Drew.

Tut.

Etc.

Apologies, I'm a cider drinker, I prefer not to consume these ale liquids which taste like old dishwater.

Anyway, I queued at the bar for an Aspall's only to find out it was off. I then pondered on purchasing an alternative beverage, but by this point I'd only been in there a few mins and was already feeling very uncomfortable at the heat and thickness of the air in there (and it's not like it was even that mega-rammed at the time) better ventilation is needed for sure.

We do pints - will change from time to time just to keep things varied

Currently (from memory not there at the moment, excuse spelling):

Draught
Meantime London Larger
Meantime Pale Ale
Another Pale Ale which is currently being fitted - can't remember name
Sagres
Amstel
Heineken
Guiness
Budvar
Tiger
Aspall Cyder
Another Cider which is currently being fitted, can't remember name

Bottles
Freedom Organic
Saint
Meantime Pilsner
Meantime Wheat
Meantime Raspberry (Wheat Raspberry)
Meantime Ale
Meantime London Lager
Juremiah Weed (3 types from memory)
Banana Bread
Morretti
Dos Equis
Becks
Pilsner
Sol
Corona
Bulmers Original
Bulmers Reserve
Bulmers 17
Wyld Wood Organic Cyder

Thats from memory sure I have missed a few.

I dropped in there but didn't stay for long. Not my kinda thing tbh. Too hot and sweaty, too noisy, and too Clapham. Did seem slightly better than previous incarnations though, and I'm willing to give it another chance on a more full-on evening (I'd only popped out for a quick, quiet pint really).

Sigh... Opening night was indeed very busy with a one in one out at times for crowd control. We had a live band Eri Okan from Brixton and 3 deejays; dj Cliffy (Batmacumba) longest running Brazilian night in London, Russ Jones (Arriba La Cumbia - Hootananny and around town), Movimentos (the one with the cowbell Mike) who are probably the leaders in championing film, art and music from South America. Hot, loud and sweaty, damn right. Free cocktails and food - enjoy? I am not sure what a bit Clapham means, well I can assume that you mean poncy, but we don't cherry pick, all welcome. I did personally see (and invite) a lot of heads from Loughborough Hotel days aka Mambo Inn and a lot of Brixton heads too. So think is was a mix up, or dare I say it a bit Brixton too.

Well, yeah. But I've been waiting weeks for the m to open at lunchtime.

I am not sure when we said we would be opening for lunchtimes but we've only been open 3 weeks and of course we are as eager (possibly more :rolleyes:) to extend our opening times so we can offer a lunchtime bite to eat or drink. I can say we are open for lunchtime roasts on Sunday from 1:00pm - Chicken, Beef, Pork for now with veg option coming.

Guess what- Closed!:rolleyes:

It's an organic process, including opening times, decoration, illustrations, pictures and memorabilia of Brixton and the friggin decking!

Your Brixton, maybe, maybe not. For the record, and to anyone who feels it's pertinent, some of us have been operating in Brixton for over 4 decades now, possibly before some of you were born, can we call anyone who was not around at that time nu-Brixton?

Onwards and upwards.

For the record, and to anyone who feels it's pertinent, some of us have been operating in Brixton for over 4 decades now, possibly before some of you were born, can we call anyone who was not around at that time nu-Brixton?

:D

I am not sure when we said we would be opening for lunchtimes but we've only been open 3 weeks and of course we are as eager (possibly more :rolleyes:) to extend our opening times so we can offer a lunchtime bite to eat or drink. I can say we are open for lunchtime roasts on Sunday from 1:00pm - Chicken, Beef, Pork for now with veg option coming.

It's an organic process, including opening times, decoration, illustrations, pictures and memorabilia of Brixton and the friggin decking!

You've been advertising your lunchtime food deals for approx 3 weeks but not been open at lunchtime to sell them. Just saying.

Shame you've only got one actual ale on draught (which you can't remember), but looks like good work on the beer menu, especially the choices on draught. I reckon that Meantime stuff is overrated myself, but it is pretty fashionable at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom