Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would you expect to have to show ID for breakdown cover?

UnderOpenSky

baseline neural therapy
A little annoyed with Swinton at the moment, had to call them out last week and they wouldn't come out if I didn't have ID. "Luckily" I was only a couple of hours away by taxi and train. Still massive ball ache. The guy who came out didn't ask to see it anyway. :mad:

I've called them out before and they've never asked, nor did the RAC when I was with them. It's not clearly in the policy documents like they claim either. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Never had to show ID for breakdowns and I've been driving 20+ yrs now. Just as well really as it was daughter's card we last used when my car automatically locked the only set of keys inside itself :rolleyes:

Well I'm awaiting a call back from management tomorrow. Proper fuming now. What if I'd be a few hundred miles away from home. :mad:

What kind of compo do you think is reasonable to push for...I'm thinking opening with a years cover free?

I'm with the AA through my bank and have never been asked for that, I just have to confirm my account details when I phone. I had to call them last week and they were more concerned with checking I wasn't anywhere dangerous even though I told them about five times that I'd managed to pull into a layby.

How did you get them to come out in the end? Did you have to go away and return with ID? :hmm:

I'm with the AA through my bank and have never been asked for that, I just have to confirm my account details when I phone. I had to call them last week and they were more concerned with checking I wasn't anywhere dangerous even though I told them about five times that I'd managed to pull into a layby.

How did you get them to come out in the end? Did you have to go away and return with ID? :hmm:

Yes - wasted most of day as it involved a taxi ride, train journey and then a decent walk, plus of course the same reversed. "Luckily" it was relatively local.

First person I spoke to offered me costs, but I don't have receipts for the taxis which were the pricey bit and of course doesn't help with a wasted day.

My cover is for my car rather than me so I'd only need to show them my car, which wouldn't be too hard.

The reason I didn't kick of to much at the time is that I was worried that was the cover that I've got and I've just changed. The anger sunk it later.

Never had to show ID for breakdowns and I've been driving 20+ yrs now. Just as well really as it was daughter's card we last used when my car automatically locked the only set of keys inside itself :rolleyes:

I have done that twice, each time an automatic car in the USA. Stupid things why do they lock themselves ... lunacy.

Who does the cover for them?

I know some breakdown cover (AA ?) is for an indivdual not for a specific car, but refusing to do anything if you can't show ID seems a bit much - do you get a membership card or some sort of policy document? And is that what they were asking for, or some sort of ID as well?

The only breakdown cover I've called out has been specific to the car, so there hasn't been an issue.

The AA know that they do get ripped off, a lot, by people (minicab firms, usually) who take out one "personal membership" - entitling the member to call them for breakdown repair / relay etc, whatever car they are in, even if they are a passenger in a friend's car.

The cab firm then proceed to use this one membership whenever any of their fleet of cars breaks down.

Each cab driver who's car breaks down then pretends that he is the guy whose name the AA membership is in, but says that he's not got his membership card on him.

This is probably why they might want to check if someone actually is the person who has paid for their breakdown cover.

Giles..

PS - if you've made quite a few call-outs to them in the last few months, I can imagine them being more suspicious.

You don't have to actually have your membership card on you with AA, but don't most people have something with their name on it, in their pocket, when out and about? ATM card / credit card? Driving licence? Work ID?

The AA know that they do get ripped off, a lot, by people (minicab firms, usually) who take out one "personal membership" - entitling the member to call them for breakdown repair / relay etc, whatever car they are in, even if they are a passenger in a friend's car.

The cab firm then proceed to use this one membership whenever any of their fleet of cars breaks down.

Each cab driver who's car breaks down then pretends that he is the guy whose name the AA membership is in, but says that he's not got his membership card on him.

This is probably why they might want to check if someone actually is the person who has paid for their breakdown cover.

Giles..

PS - if you've made quite a few call-outs to them in the last few months, I can imagine them being more suspicious.

You don't have to actually have your membership card on you with AA, but don't most people have something with their name on it, in their pocket, when out and about? ATM card / credit card? Driving licence? Work ID?

God you're a fucking idiot.

Keep up the shit job won't you?

God you're a fucking idiot.

Keep up the shit job won't you?

Are you disputing that the above happens, then?

Or just being pointlessly rude?

I was just explaining why breakdown service companies might wish to verify that the person calling for help is in fact the person who has paid for it.

Giles..

i get rac cover through my bank account and i have had to show them my bank card once out of the three times ive called them up.

It's AXA for what it's worth, so at least I know now when I swap to check they don't do the underwriting. So the fuckwitery continues...I've been told they have 8 weeks to respond to the claim by the FSA. I told them they may not have me a customer for that long. Since I'm with Swinton though they have a local branch who is very nice...boss was away but, the lass was lovely, if ineffectual. I've worked in call centres enough in the past though that I know if I keep calling I'm going to start fucking people of well before 8 weeks. I can be so nice it hurts. :)

Who does the cover for them?

I know some breakdown cover (AA ?) is for an indivdual not for a specific car, but refusing to do anything if you can't show ID seems a bit much - do you get a membership card or some sort of policy document? And is that what they were asking for, or some sort of ID as well?

Yes I do, but it's not in the policy that I have to carry it.

Giles..

Maybe so, but you need to let people know this. You can't just make rules up.

I don't carry photo ID on me, so I don't really care what most people do.

Looks like they do:

uk+drvng+license.jpg

Don't you have your DL on you when you're.... er.....driving?

Back
Top Bottom