Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Would it be illegal to 'enhance' any adverts displayed on an illegal billboard?

who is the landowner? they can do what they like to it. if the Council is the landowner let them know (it may not have dawned on them) and let them know you know. unfortunately it will be expensive for the local authority to tackle due to legal bills and man-hours unfortunately - hence why these advertisers try it on like this. the law is mostly very unhelpful in authorising Council action against illegal advertising unfortunately. the practicalities weren't a consideration of the lawmakers.

if its a commercial billboard operator consider going to the firm that is being advertised, they may not be aware that they are being charged for illegal advertising. consider informing them that a local action group has formed to deal with this menace to the community and that local press have taken an interest - etc, etc.

morally speaking you are absolutely justified in taking action to avoid cost to the public purse in removing this eyesore to the benefit of local amenity and the community at large. it would be interesting to see if any judge was willing punish such commendable action. there would surely be no public interest in seeing it go to court.

these may be of interest:

http://www.haringey.org.uk/campaigns/cuttings.htm
http://www.haringey.org.uk/campaigns/bomb.htm
http://www.haringey.org.uk/campaigns/antad.htm

THIS ADVERT IS ILLEGAL is your best bet if taking direct action imo.

A nice public event with locals encouraged to come along and show their creative side, with word sent to a few journos and lots of happy video on youtube?

What about if someone - not me of course - took to advising any concerned members of the public about the illegality of the billboard by regularly posting up large notices over the adverts advising them of that fact, and included the council planning department contact details?

As someone else has said, technically, if you were caught, the owner of the board could decide to press charges for criminal damage.

However, it could be argued (with a good chance of success) that for the CPS to pursue the case would not be in the public interest (as the board was there illegally anyway). Especially if they thought there'd be any bad publicity as a result.

When is this happening?

Is there an ad up on the billboard yet?

If its for a Bank, maybe the whole billboard could be moved to outside one of their branches.

What jonathan bishop has said has reminded me of a video of someone graffing over flyposters whilst police looked on and said it was fine as long as he didn't touch the wall. No chance of me finding that link on my phone though.
If you want me to try to find it over the weekend let me know.

ianal obviously, I'm not claiming any knowledge of the matter

The last illegal one took something like 7 years or summat to get taken down!

What I want is a freak lightning bolt to set fire to the thing.

images

The dodgy billboard builders must be laughing their heads off at this kind of council response:
What happens next?

If the investigation concludes that a breach
of planning control may have occurred, the officer will attempt to enter into negotiations with the
landowner or the developer. Please note that Central Government Guidance on planning enforcement
matters clearly advises that Local Planning Authorities (LPA) should first attempt to resolve breaches
of planning control informally through negotiation or through the retrospective planning application
process. However, there may be instances where more urgent action is needed.

Please bear in mind that planning enforcement cases can take a considerable period of time to resolve
informally, or through the planning application process. They can take even longer if the LPA considers
it necessary and expedient to take formal planning enforcement action. If at any stage you have
information you feel may be of use, or if you would like an update on the case please do not hesitate
to contact the case officer, preferably by email. The planning enforcement process can be technically
complex and issues can take some time to resolve.

coldharbour-lane-billboard-1.jpg

8 poles holding it up it?

Are they wooden?
They were cocky enough to drill down and install steel girders first. They're going to make a mint out of this dodgy billboard. It's already been christened as a toilet facility too.

They were cocky enough to drill down and install steel girders first. They're going to make a mint out of this dodgy billboard. It's already been christened as a toilet facility too.

You won't rest until......

Would it matter if they weren't? :hmm:

Wood could be done quietly with an old fashioned manual saw though. It would take some strength though!

You won't rest until......

Wood could be done quietly with an old fashioned manual saw though. It would take some strength though!

It would be a lot quicker to do it with a stihl though, whether made of wood or metal. D'you really think you could get through all those legs manually all that quickly and quietly? I was thinking more 'saw and run'

so is anyone actually going to do something about the billboard then? it can't be that hard to nip out in the midlle of the night and fuck it over rather than sitting around posting about what you'd like to do on a message board.

obviously, were i in london, i'd be the first to go and burn it down *ahem*

Back
Top Bottom