Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windows 10: Mail application to be replaced with Outlook?

NoXion

Craicy the Squirrel
So I think I had a bit of a weird thing happen to me this morning, I could have sworn that the program I usually use to check my emails on my Windows 10 desktop PC spontaneously switched itself from Mail to Outlook while I had it open. For the past few months now I've had these pushy little notifications urging me to hit the toggle switch in the window's top right corner to "try out the new Outlook". Since I'm completely happy with the behaviour and functionality of Mail, I've been cheerily ignoring this notification, although I have noticed it becoming slightly pushier of late. However, this apparent autonomous switching to the new Outlook client pushed me over into the zone of critical annoyance, and in frustration I Googled "why does Windows 10 keep pushing me to use Outlook instead of Mail" and found this article:

So it seems the plan is to replace Mail with the Outlook client. Ugh, no. Why the fuck should I be forced to use that dogshit interface? Apparently, if reading the Reddit threads that come up on those search results is anything to go by, it's a ploy by Microsoft to start feeding advertisements to the user through the email client, and charge a subscription in order to get rid of them. If that's their plan, they can go fuck themselves and I will be looking for a new email client when Mail stops being supported, which is at the end of 2024 if the article is to be believed.

Has anyone else experienced this? What email clients are being used by everyone else on their Windows desktops? Are you a Mail user, and were you aware of the apparently imminent change?

Last edited:
Horses for courses I think. newme complained of summat similar after an unwanted Outlook update.

I tried Mail and thought that had a dogshit, overly simple interface. Binned within minutes.

If you don't like, use summat else innit. Thunderbird. Web. You're not being forced to use it, however shite it is.

Horses for courses I think. newme complained of summat similar after an unwanted Outlook update.

I tried Mail and thought that had a dogshit, overly simple interface. Binned within minutes.

If you don't like, use summat else innit. Thunderbird. Web. You're not being forced to use it, however shite it is.

The simplicity is one of the reasons I like it. Thanks for reminding me of Thunderbird; that's made by the same who folks who do Firefox, isn't? I'll probably look into that first when the time comes.

The simplicity is one of the reasons I like it. Thanks for reminding me of Thunderbird; that's made by the same who folks who do Firefox, isn't? I'll probably look into that first when the time comes.
Yes, it is.

Mozilla Foundation I think.

I've used Thunderbird in the past and liked it. I can't be arsed with mail clients outside of work any more. I just use the web interface in the main for most things.

The Apple Mail app on MacOs is quite simplistic, dunno if available for Windows, probably not, you know what they're like.

Aye, this. To be frank, though, 8 or 9 out of 10 people just use it as a very basic mail in, mail out facility and don't touch anything else in my experience. It's a shame it doesn't have a single click 'swap to simple/comprehensive mode'.

I think calendars are quite important, but yeah. I wonder how many people actually use a mail app at home anymore anyhow compared to just using web mail?

I use the ISP's email client but if I have problems with it (the search is crap for example) I open Thunderbird and it quickly updates itself and I use that.

I’ve got good news about the new outlook client!

(It’s simplistic dogshit)

Wow, I'd claim the opposite. Mainly because most people I know use their mobile for the majority of their email needs and rarely use email as their main form of Comms, favouring messaging apps for most short stuff.

I use Gmail as my main email provider and use the web interface and mobile app only.

Wow, I'd claim the opposite. Mainly because most people I know use their mobile for the majority of their email needs and rarely use email as their main form of Comms, favouring messaging apps for most short stuff.

I use Gmail as my main email provider and use the web interface and mobile app only.

I suspect a lot of people simply do a lot less personal e-mail then then they did 10 years ago. Now I'm no longer self employed, my gmail which I keep as clean as possible see's very little traffic. Hotmail is a mess as it's what I give companies when I buy things.

I'm equally split between desktop, tablet and phone. I use Thunderbird (for 20 years) on desktop and K-9 (soon to be Thunderbird) on phone and tab.

Most of the people I know use Outlook on desktop (Mac or Win users) and most have iPhones (I don't) and use whatever the default iMail is.

I hate Gmail and only use it as a dumping ground for shit that doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom