Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Lambeth say YES to the Mandela School?

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
I bloody well hope not.:( I've suddenly discovered I'm quite fond of the burnt out tyre centre/petrol station.

Obviously there's lots of people here who have sproggs and want a local school, but I don't have sproggs and I don't want it :p

And has anyone seen the artist's impression? It's a fucking monstrosity. Brixton Hill is a tree-lined pleasant hill. Big ugly buildings should not be allowed. It should be set back a lot further back from the pavement :mad:

ianw said:
link? or was it in the slp?

have just been looking for pics but can't find any. It came in a leaflet through the door from The Nelson Mandela School Foundation.

Let me see if I can photograph it

Mind you, the artists impression has a routemaster in it so it must have been done a while ago

Isn't he a bit old for school?

mandela_pic

Piccy

Now try telling me that ain't a monstrosity :mad:

DSCF2610.jpg
[/IMG]

In fact, they may as well stick up a Sainsburys or Tescos if they're going to have that

spanglechick said:
wow - that really is right on the street! What an odd design.:confused:

'scuse the fuzziness, but I was in too much of a rush to stick this up to bother about quality

But exactly.:eek: If it was further back and not as high, but as it is... no fucking way :mad:

and where are all the worshippers going to go from Ruach Ministries? :eek:

Not that I'm bothered :D

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Brixton Hill is a tree-lined pleasant hill.
:D

Indeed. I often find myself reflecting on the way it gently rolls and wends its way into the Surrey countryside. As you negotiate the style and begin along the path south, you can often hear - off somewhere to the right - the sound of a slow running summer stream meeting the gentle calling of Nightingales. To the left and afar, a farmer summons his herd for the evening milking . . .

London_Calling said:
:D

Indeed. I often find myself reflecting on the way it gently rolls and wends its way into the Surrey countryside. As you negotiate the style and begin along the path south, you can often hear - off somewhere to the right - the sound of a slow running summer stream meeting the gentle calling of Nightingales. To the left and afar, a farmer summons his herd for the evening milking . . .

Exactly. You just have to replace the "slow running summer stream" with The Waterworks and the "gentle calling of Nightingales" with pigeons.

"To the left and afar, farmer summons his herd for the evening milking" - well there's a huge green field on top of the Waterworks ;)

and let's not forget the Windmill

So is holistic local architect Dil Green or the large architectural practice MJP (MacCormac Jamieson Prichard) responsible for the appallingly bland design on the flyer. :confused:

Both seem to be credited for copyright on the right hand side, but I find it hard to believe that Sir Richard MacCormac would allow something of that mediocrity to go for planning consent with his practice's name on it.

that seems to take up a huge amount of space. surely something other than the garage would have to go to make way for it? what else is there, i'm trying to remember? negril? george iv? that art space?

lang rabbie said:
So is holistic local architect Dil Green or the large architectural practice MJP (MacCormac Jamieson Prichard) responsible for the appallingly bland design on the flyer. :confused:

Both seem to be credited for copyright on the right hand side, but I find it hard to believe that Sir Richard MacCormac would allow something of that mediocrity to go for planning consent with his practice's name on it.

It's got MJP/Dil Green :D

ianw said:
that seems to take up a huge amount of space. surely something other than the garage would have to go to make way for it? what else is there, i'm trying to remember? negril? george iv? that art space?

and Capital Printers and the Warehouse behind. Looks like it stops at Arlingtons

The Windmill allotment people are dead against this too as it would probably entail taking them out to give land to the school.

I have to say, Brixton/Lambeth desperately needs good secondary schools and I think that's a good location for one - the kids in this area have a shocking deal. Of course, some of the more genteel dwellers in the "Sudbourne catchment area" might feel differently!

"Addresses within 1,000 yards of the school command up to 15 per cent more than properties on Brixton Hill and has made the area more respectable."

The teenagers on my estate are commuting miles away to places like Wandsworth for their education to the worst that the other boroughs have to offer.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Ark academy on Shakespeare Road will pan out and the Elmgreen School - "the first "parent promoted" school in the UK" which is in temporary accommodation and moving to Elmcourt Road (Tulse Hill) in 2009.

gaijingirl said:
The Windmill allotment people are dead against this too as it would probably entail taking them out to give land to the school.

I have to say, Brixton/Lambeth desperately needs good secondary schools and I think that's a good location for one - the kids in this area have a shocking deal. Of course, some of the more genteel dwellers in the "Sudbourne catchment area" might feel differently!

"Addresses within 1,000 yards of the school command up to 15 per cent more than properties on Brixton Hill and has made the area more respectable."

The teenagers on my estate are commuting miles away to places like Wandsworth for their education to the worst that the other boroughs have to offer.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Ark academy on Shakespeare Road will pan out and the Elmgreen School - "the first "parent promoted" school in the UK" which is in temporary accommodation and moving to Elmcourt Road (Tulse Hill) in 2009.

Why can't they turn the Old Strand School back into a school? Admittedly that would be right near me as well but at least I wouldn't have twalk past it every day :D

Having a school that fronts right onto the Brixton Hill Raceway??

That's a recipe for disaster. Might as well plan to have an ambulance permanently parked outside or to install a mini A&E Dept in the school to deal with the inevitable road accidents.

What a fantastic idea. Such a safe road for such a big school to be built on. Also, thankfully, with it being such a quiet road it will easilly absorb the school run traffic and will cause no hassle whatsoever. I think it's just what is called for around here. :mad:

But a school is needed. All of the schools around me are CofE or Catholic schools. As we're not religious, we don't stand a chance of getting in. I'm sure there are loads of other people in a similar position.

I agree, though, having it right on the road is asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom