Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wildfires reach outskirts of Athens during scorching heatwave

editor

hiraethified
I've got a friend in Athens and she's having a terrible time with the heat and the smoke. It's their worst heatwave in 30 years and this looks terrifying:

1628097592001.png

Sky News has been good at covering this, needless to say, it's the main item on 'The Daily Climate Show', on ATM & repeated at 9.30pm.

More reports

The above, although only up to April this year shows the devastation caused by constant wildfires. There are many more at the moment, their impact is obviously magnified due to the fires locations to areas of large human populations.

I didnt hear about that, unless its the family in Konya which was before the fires.

Friends of mine are sharing their own videos. So hard to report from Turkey, I trust what I see from them instead.

I didnt hear about that, unless its the family in Konya which was before the fires.

Friends of mine are sharing their own videos. So hard to report from Turkey, I trust what I see from them instead.
ah OK, the article I was reading didn't give a date for the attack.

Plenty of nasty wildfires too in Kocani in Eastern Macedonia although not as threatening as those to the south. A lot of wildlife and farmstock killed in this fire. This is quite a sobering article on how knuckle dragging conspiracy theorists sitting in malodorous tracksuit bottoms hundreds of kms away are making things worse on social media.

They say the Balkans will be largely uninhabitable in 80-100 years owing to being too hot, unless serious action is taken. My fear is that people become numb to these images amidst all the other images of suffering, shrug and quietly think "thank goodness that won't come here".

Terrifying images both sides of the Atlantic in the last couple of weeks, with recent wildfires in the US.

I'm a little sad that the fires in Greece are getting so much coverage compared to those in Turkey, which have been going on for over a week. But it's difficult to report from Turkey and the news is being suppressed by the government there :(

There's some discussion here of attacks on journalists covering the fires in Greece and Turkey:

It looks like the attack in Athens was by a group of fascists:

Last edited:
Why the fuck would anyone attack the media in this situation? To dissuade reporting? Well that's fucking stupid, don't they know that big wildfires can be seen from space? So even a total media blackout within the country (which they would never be able to achieve anyway) would not hide what's going on over there.

It's just such a spiteful and stupid waste of time and effort, during a national crisis no less! Unless these shitfucks actually want the country to burn? Arsonists by proxy.

Why the fuck would anyone attack the media in this situation? To dissuade reporting? Well that's fucking stupid, don't they know that big wildfires can be seen from space? So even a total media blackout within the country (which they would never be able to achieve anyway) would not hide what's going on over there.

It's just such a spiteful and stupid waste of time and effort, during a national crisis no less! Unless these shitfucks actually want the country to burn? Arsonists by proxy.
general neofascist anti-media attacks id expect - not relating to the fires, more about journalists out in public
??

Back
Top Bottom