Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

WiFi device when traveling

dshl

Hi,

I need a device that I can put a SIM card into to produce a wireless signal so that my family can use it to connect their devices (we're staying in a place without wireless.)

We can't hotspot from our phones as we need the SIM slots for our current SIMs and need to use a new SIM from that country due to roaming restrictions.

I have heard of 'dongles' but what I need is something that plugs into and works from a wall socket - not something that plugs and needs a pc. Something that is cheap but produces a strong signal as young daughter plays Roblox lol.

Cheers

DSHL

Ok thanks everyone. I think I understand now. I can't simply order a regular dongle and just plug it into a wall socket using an adapter, right? Such a dongle would need a PC, correct? Instead I need a mobile router that works with a SIM.

Now the trick is to buy this using Polish Amazon as already here ROFL! Think that's easier than sourcing an old smart phone for similar price, thanks.

I bought one of these Sercomm Three 4G routers last week after following a thread on ISPreview. £35 delivered ("C" grade, have to look hard to see scratches).

It seems to be a bit faster downloading than my current ZTE MF286D and twice as fast uploading as it does Carrier Aggregation on upload too. Permanently unlocking the router took a couple of minutes to register an account and download the "reflectly" browser addon to get access to the superadmin menus and change the APN. I tested it on EE network.

4G has been our household Internet connection for the last 15 months. I'm about 1.5Km from a mast and get speeds up to 100Mbps down and 30Mbps up. When our 24 month Three contract expires I'm looking to get a prepaid unlimited data SIM working out at around £7/month. We have no 5G here though my son's Three NR5103E 5G router falls back to 4G when plugged in here but I'm not sure about unlocking those.

Hi,

I need a device that I can put a SIM card into to produce a wireless signal so that my family can use it to connect their devices (we're staying in a place without wireless.)

We can't hotspot from our phones as we need the SIM slots for our current SIMs and need to use a new SIM from that country due to roaming restrictions.

I have heard of 'dongles' but what I need is something that plugs into and works from a wall socket - not something that plugs and needs a pc. Something that is cheap but produces a strong signal as young daughter plays Roblox lol.

Cheers

DSHL

Worth double checking none of your devices support two SIMS or an "E SIM". My phone has only one SIM slot, but my actual network is an E SIM so it leaves the actual slot free. I had to request this from Vodaphone, they don't set it up like this by default.

If you're in Poland and looking for a temp solution just get down to a phone shop and see if they have any mifi devices. I don't think they require plugging into a PC many of them just need power (and a data sim).

Worth adding here in case anyone is in a similar situation...But I have recently discovered eSims, and companies that can enable unlimited data for fairly reasonable sums, without even faffing with a secondary Sim card slot.

etravelsim.com is the provider that came top when searching on Google, and the one I pretty much always use, but there are others, I believe.

Anywhere I go that isn't covered by my home contract data allowance, I simply buy an esim with an (typically unlimited) allowance, follow the setup instructions and am up and running in minutes. Also because it's unlimited, I'm not worrying if I've got some syncing service that'll blow the travel allowance on my home plan.

Also because you effectively split your s card for data and phone/SMS, I think you then get free WhatsApp calls on your esim (apparently EE can detect if you're using data for calls, and make sure you get charged:mad:)

Honestly a bit of a game changer :thumbs::cool:

Worth adding here in case anyone is in a similar situation...But I have recently discovered eSims, and companies that can enable unlimited data for fairly reasonable sums, without even faffing with a secondary Sim card slot.

etravelsim.com is the provider that came top when searching on Google, and the one I pretty much always use, but there are others, I believe.

Anywhere I go that isn't covered by my home contract data allowance, I simply buy an esim with an (typically unlimited) allowance, follow the setup instructions and am up and running in minutes. Also because it's unlimited, I'm not worrying if I've got some syncing service that'll blow the travel allowance on my home plan.

Also because you effectively split your s card for data and phone/SMS, I think you then get free WhatsApp calls on your esim (apparently EE can detect if you're using data for calls, and make sure you get charged:mad:)

That's quite handy. As I mentioned I've got my main SIM as an esim and rely on buying a local one when I arrive.

I came slightly unstuck with this in Tunisia this year as I arrived during Ramadan and everything in the airport was shut and I was rather counting on it to use Google maps to drive to our hotel.

I might look at doing it the other way round next time so I'm sure it's sorted before I get there.

Bookmarked

Back
Top Bottom